Gibson Brands Forums

L-7 revived!

j45nick

Well, finished the stage 1 cleanup (LOTS of Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish, and a ton of rags--I should own stock in Virtuoso). New Kluson DeLuxe single-line, single rings installed (these are drop ins--same screw holes, still using the old ferrules: they just work a LOT better than the old pat.pending Klusons, which I still have). New TKL 8920 case (perfect fit, as it's designed for the J-200, which shares this basic body plan). Starting out with D'Addario Chrome XL flatwounds, which are definitely an acquired taste (I'm still trying to acquire it).

The guitar obviously has lots of cosmetic flaws, but heck, she was born in May of 1947, which makes her four months younger than me. I don't look so hot anymore when I look in the mirror, either.

The back photo shows the remarkably sexy backside curves of these carved-top, carved-back beauties.

Still waiting on a new repro finger rest, as this one is on the verge of self-destructing even though it still looks good.

Sweet Archtop Dreams......

curves.jpg

backofheadstock.jpg

L-7headstock.jpg

L-7boardandheadstock.jpg

L-7-1.jpg

That is a great "restoration" and I am way happy to see it.

I read you have taken steps to not only make it look good, but to get it ready for playing status.

You did a hell of a job cleaning it up. It shines so much you can clearly see the arch of the top. And the richness of the color as well.

I bet this thing really plays.

Freshly polished F-holes and ferns. Looks like an immaculate job from this angle. I'm sure it'll be cyyyyl to follow the high-gloss fade a little, but definitely a 6-string jewel reborn and ready for rhythm.

Then what about that ornamented ring on the tree facing the corner of the apricot house. A slight trace of mystique - even vague psychedelia - if you ask me. . .

Revived indeed! Good work, sir! Fine looking archtop. I would think the flatwounds would mininmize the nasal honk of an archtop and give it a solid, thumping tone.......yes?

"Solid, thumping tone" is an apt description. I can see how between one of these and a stand-up bass, you would have the entire rhythm section for a jazz orchestra. Now I just have to figure out how to play it!

Then what about that ornamented ring on the tree facing the corner of the apricot house. A slight trace of mystic - even vague psychedelia - if you ask me. . .

So, what else would you expect? We still live in the 60's just a bit. O:)

Wily mentioned the fretboard, and I will say that was a pretty rewarding exercise, requiring a lot of patience but yielding very good results. I've developed a bunch of detailing techniques and tools from my years building and restoring classic yachts, and they adapted quite well to this particular task on a micro scale. It is really common to find serious ruts in the first-position parts of the board on a vintage guitar, and you can't just take those down to get rid of them. Rather, you need to work the entire board down at the same rate, and do the same thing with the frets, which usually demonstrate similar wear.

You can't get this perfect, but you can generally make even a badly worn board more playable. Wish I had understood this 45 years ago. I might still have the original 19-fret, wide board on my old J-45.

I'm sure professionals have the right tools to do this efficiently, but I have to make it up as I go.

Ya know, I'm just gonna have to come out and say it--- this here is one hot thread, imo. Thanks for sharing the journey; can't wait to hear it one day but it's a beaut to behold already. You have some mad skills, Chief Measurer... [thumbup]

Archived