Gibson Brands Forums

Fellow AJ jockeys-what strings are you saddling her up with?

Jinder

Hi all,

What strings are my fellow AJ players using? I'd be intrigued to know.

Mine came to me with a very well-played set of Bronze 12s on it (not sure what they were), which sounded fabulous...absolutely beautiful if rather old.

I changed them after a fortnight to see if a new set would sound even better, and decided to throw on a set of D'Addario PB 12-53s (EJ16 I think) I had kicking about. The AJ nearly spat the things right off, they sounded so bad-thin in the top end, wooly and too overtone-heavy in the bottom end and with a slightly scooped, nasal sounding and indistinct midrange.

Those strings lasted about three hours before I ripped 'em off and installed a set of Martin 80/20 Bronze 12-54s (my workhorse string for gigging etc) which sounded vastly better.

I have only been using the guitar for playing around the house, writing and recording (and a couple of unplugged restaurant gigs), so the Martins lasted nearly a month. I changed them yesterday out of boredom rather than a genuine need to change them (my wife has been in hospital and I've been home with my 2yr old, so when my daughter went to bed I got into guitar-fettling mode!), and decided to bung on a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium-Lights that I had (these were in my local guitar shop at the right price so stockpiled them!).

I strung up, tuned up, stretched them in, tune again and hit a first-position E chord, and...WOW!

The Earthwoods sound amazing on the AJ. Really warm but defined, no excessive overtones but still feathery in the mids, fat yet articulate top end, everything...definitely the best strings I've had on the AJ since the original set, which, looking at the unusually golden hue of the Earthwoods, were probably the same strings.

I've always found Earthwoods to go off very quickly in the past, but the new airtight packaging seems to stop that, and they've been sounding very nice on my EJ200 too. A little thin sounding on my L-00, but that may well change after a bit of playing in. I'm very impressed with them generally, though, especially with the AJ...BRRRROOOIIINNNG!

Sad to say (relatively speaking), I'm pretty much a D'Addario PB kind of guy. I've been using them for so long now, i can't remember when I first latched on to them. So it was a bit timely to see your post as I currently have a set of John Pearse strings on my AJ. This stemmed from no dissatisfaction on my part with the D'Addario's rather I wanted to experiment with a gauge set not offered (in standard packaging anyways) by them. THe JPs are called New Medium and they range from 13 to 55, so mediums up top, but somewhere between mediums and lights down low (in general I like fat trebles). I typically prefer mediums on dread sized guitars, but these have been interesting. I can't say that I experienced any epiphanies with them however. Might have to check out the EB Earthwoods some day.down the road.

Before I bought my AJ, my only acoustic was a Taylor 110. I used John Pearse phosphor bronze 13s on the Taylor. They tamed the brightness and added some fullness to the sound. When I got the AJ, I tried the JP's on it. Once they settled in, I thought they did not add enough zing to this guitar. All guitars are different, and my AJ tends to be very deep and rich sounding. I then tried the Pyramid phosphor bronze 13s that I love on my J-45 Legend and my brother's Hummingbird TV. These did not really do it on the AJ either. Still needed more zing. I tried the Martin Lifespan SP phosphor bronze 13s. At first, I did not care for them, but given some time, they have settled in nicely on this guitar, so that is what I am using at this point. Not sure they are as good as I can do with this guitar, but they are the best for it that I have tried thus far.

I have JP phos bronze, light gauge, on both my Brazilian RW and my Indian RW AJ. (I like JP nickel in light on the latter too. I might grab either, depending on my mood, when changing strings on that one.)

-- Bob R

I have JP phos bronze, light gauge, on both my Brazilian RW and my Indian RW AJ. (I like JP nickel in light on the latter too. I might grab either, depending on my mood, when changing strings on that one.)

-- Bob R

Rar, how do you find the Pearse Pure Nickels vary from the PB? Those strings intrigue me, they're impossible to find in the UK but if they're stellar I'll grab a couple of sets and import 'em.

Rar, how do you find the Pearse Pure Nickels vary from the PB? Those strings intrigue me, they're impossible to find in the UK but if they're stellar I'll grab a couple of sets and import 'em.

I can't describe tone worth a darn, but I'd say that they're kind of like phos bronze that have have been on the guitar for a few years. (Check your PMs for a special offer on these.)

-- Bob R

Added later: well, the PM didn't work. So I sent an email to the "MMJinder@..." address on your website.

Not specifically for your AJ, but these are one of my favourite strings for acoustics

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html

no problem getting in the UK, order mine online

Madman Greg

I just thought I would add to my post as I have had a long discussion with a friend on the telephone on this subject, who is a player and industry professional

We both agree on Tomastik plectrum or spectrum as being the dogs for acoustics as per my orginal post

but he also threw a Spaniard in the works and suggested

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/764-rotosound_super_bronze_previously_country_gold_acoustic_guitar_strings

which I have not tried

Madman Greg

Hehehe Greg, check out that stringsdirect link you sent me-scroll down the 'reviews' section at the bottom until you get to the reviews from '04 or so, and there I am, reviewing those very stringsd (or Country Gold as they were called in those days)!

They're great, I used to have a Takamine Nashville Series I used the on regularly, but they don't sound quite as nice on my Gibsons for some reason...not quite as broad in the low end as a fully wound string, but GREAT on an older guitar with higher action, as the core sitting on the bridge, as opposed to the windings, lowers the action a little.

Thomastik is a route I've never been down-definitely on my 'to try' list, I'll order some up soon. What gauge do you use?

I've always been an intrepid string adventurer, to paraphrase Family Guy I'm not afraid to "go black, and be faced with a difficult decision as to whether to go back"!

Hehehe Greg, check out that stringsdirect link you sent me-scroll down the 'reviews' section at the bottom until you get to the reviews from '04 or so, and there I am, reviewing those very stringsd (or Country Gold as they were called in those days)!

They're great, I used to have a Takamine Nashville Series I used the on regularly, but they don't sound quite as nice on my Gibsons for some reason...not quite as broad in the low end as a fully wound string, but GREAT on an older guitar with higher action, as the core sitting on the bridge, as opposed to the windings, lowers the action a little.

Thomastik is a route I've never been down-definitely on my 'to try' list, I'll order some up soon. What gauge do you use?

I've always been an intrepid string adventurer, to paraphrase Family Guy I'm not afraid to "go black, and be faced with a difficult decision as to whether to go back"!

I use 12s on my J45 and they sound like heaven in the studio to me but i do not play live, worth a try in my mind in case they are the strings of your dreams -- they have a lot of respect in the industry

Madman Greg

I use 12s on my J45 and they sound like heaven in the studio to me but i do not play live, worth a try in my mind in case they are the strings of your dreams -- they have a lot of respect in the industry

Madman Greg

Do you use the plectrum or spectrum more often? I use the power brights (10s) on my Les Paul and I agree they are fantastic (Calling them dogs can have a negative connotation in the states [biggrin] ).

I can't wait to try some on my J45 if on an acoustic they are anything like on an electric.

I use the spectrums but my mate swears by the plectrums.

Understand the Dogs thing, it can have two meanings here as well. But as we had the thread where I think EAussie got banned from another forum for mentioning the dogs spherical bits, I had assumed you guys were now well versed in its meaning.

And please do give strings a little while to settle in before you condemn them.

Madman Greg

I use the spectrums but my mate swears by the plectrums.

Understand the Dogs thing, it can have two meanings here as well. But as we had the thread where I think EAussie got banned from another forum for mentioning the dogs spherical bits, I had assumed you guys were now well versed in its meaning.

And please do give strings a little while to settle in before you condemn them.

Madman Greg

Well if they are anything like the Powerbrights, then they're a cut above. I think I'll get one set each as well as bone bridge pins. I'll do a before and after test.

Not specifically for your AJ, but these are one of my favourite strings for acoustics

http://www.thomastik...tars/index.html

no problem getting in the UK, order mine online

Madman Greg

I have a Clark Fork, John Walker's interpretation of an AJ - After trying Sunbeam 12 -54s & Pearse New Mediums (both strings I like a lot), I've settled on TI Spectrums (12 -54) for this guitar.

I have a set of Plectrums (12 - 59) here, but can't decide which guitar to try them on - the 59 gauge low E has me flummoxed...

I .. decided to throw on a set of D'Addario PB 12-53s ... The AJ nearly spat the things right off, they sounded so bad-thin in the top end, wooly and too overtone-heavy in the bottom end and with a slightly scooped, nasal sounding and indistinct midrange."

Jinder, that sounds like a description of the AJ I threw in the towel on. Makes me wonder now if it could have been the strings. Sigh.

Archived