Gibson Brands Forums

Gospel reissue variations

Lee M

I have a 1993 Gospel reissue. I periodically look at Ebay auctions to stay abreast of current market values (although I have no plans to sell it.) I have seen other Gospel reissues with the following differences from mine: different pickguard, compensated saddle, different font on headstock logo, dot inlays in the bridge. I suppose the pickguard and compensated saddle could be user mods.

Just wondering if there are any Gospel owners on the forum and if yours looks like mine or not.

gospel2.jpg

I have three, one sunburst, two natural. One natural has Gibson pickup system. None of them have the dove on the headstock like yours and none have a pickguard like yours. Pickguard on all is the Gibson type that curves in such a way it mirror images the shape of the guitar near the waist.

That pickguard, although it looks like proper Gibson teardrop shape, isn't positioned correctly on the top. It is rotated around the soundhole towards the strings too much, at least compared to every one that I have seen. It may be a retrofit.

That pickguard, although it looks like proper Gibson teardrop shape, isn't positioned correctly on the top. It is rotated around the soundhole towards the strings too much, at least compared to every one that I have seen. It may be a retrofit.

I noticed that based on a recent Ebay auction picture of another Gospel with the same pickguard. Retrofit or just sloppy workmanship? There's nothing to indicate that another pickguard was ever in place.

Here are links to 2 recent auctions with the same pickguard. Neither appears to be rotated under the strings as far as mine is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Gibson-Gospel-acoustic-guitar-ec-made-Bozeman-Montana-/260906129264?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbf379770

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Gospel-Acoustic-Guitar-/230709312975?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b758bdcf

I noticed that based on a recent Ebay auction picture of another Gospel with the same pickguard. Retrofit or just sloppy workmanship? There's nothing to indicate that another pickguard was ever in place.

Here are links to 2 recent auctions with the same pickguard. Neither appears to be rotated under the strings as far as mine is.

Really difficult to judge. This may be a larger pickguard than the similarly-shaped one used on other Gibsons, as all the guards in the other listings also extend under the strings much further than the one on my J-45. Admittedly, the one on my J-45 is not original, but its placement was carefully determined using old photogrpahs of the orginal pickguard and position.

Archived