Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Dwight last night playing these

DonCarlos

Dwight is (at least was) da man! Covered several of his tunes with my last band and have an admiration for what he can do with three or four chords. Saw him in Arizona several years ago when Pete Anderson was still with him....absolute monster guitar player! His This Time album is on my list of all-time favorite recordings by anybody!

Dwight is (at least was) da man! Covered several of his tunes with my last band and have an admiration for what he can do with three or four chords. Saw him in Arizona several years ago when Pete Anderson was still with him....absolute monster guitar player! His This Time album is on my list of all-time favorite recordings by anybody!

I have an all acoustic album, I think it is called dwightyoakum.net, and he is a really good guitar player. Nothing fancy, but his tone is superb and he makes everything sound easy. Just him and a guitar sounds pretty fab.

Dittos on that.... album/Dwight/Pete etc. Great Stuff!

Dwight is definitely schooled on that Bakersfield, CA kind of country.. [smile]

I, too, have always admired Dwight. Not a fantastic guitar player, but he just had that "special touch" that makes him a star. Great performer and entertainer. When I think of the word "twang", I think of Dwight Yoakam. He hadn't lost a beat after all these years!

He does pretty good with a 6-string! For those of you that haven't heard it, as mentioned above, the dwightyoakamacoustic.net CD is Dwight at his best. Solo with an acoustic guitar. I imagine these recordings represent how many of the classic Dwight tunes came to be - just a man and his guitar with a pencil, paper and imagination. Excellent recording!

I think he should really drop the music stand ... looks too much like an open mike nite

Well with the Hat always on, it certainly was not easy to see if he was using whatever was on that music stand. He did make some announcements throughout the concert about contributing to the Lazarex Cancer Foundation and the numbers associated with that. So not sure if the stand was for his set list and/or that or both.

If he was using the stand for the songs he was singing................well the he forgot to turn the page through the entire concert.

I am not really a well educated country fan, but growing up I always enjoyed those innovative acoustic guitar licks of Cash, Waylon, Wille, to mention a few, that defines country music. Dwight is one of the legends now and I was honored to see him. He is a great talent and if you get the chance, see him. [thumbup] I am a fan.

I used to have a Honky Tonk Deuce, but I'm OCD and the dice error drove me nuts. I used to be a craps dealer, and if you know anything about dice the ace is always opposite the six. The dice on the pickguard are pictured in an incorrect and impossible combination on real dice. The big reason I sold it was the short scale. All of my acoustics have been long scale and I just couldn't get used to it. Nice sounding guitar though.

• 1 year later...

Ahh...the Emmylou L-200. I have lusted after this model for a long while--sunburst, in particular. (Santa? You out there??)

Nice pics-I've heard he does a fine set.

Just found this thread. The pickguard on the Emmy L-200 is different. I think this is the J-200 Standard. I think he has a Custom and TV as well.

Bob

I used to have a Honky Tonk Deuce, but I'm OCD and the dice error drove me nuts. I used to be a craps dealer, and if you know anything about dice the ace is always opposite the six. The dice on the pickguard are pictured in an incorrect and impossible combination on real dice. The big reason I sold it was the short scale. All of my acoustics have been long scale and I just couldn't get used to it. Nice sounding guitar though.

I didn't know that . Interesting. I don't see many around but the two I've played were nice.

Archived