Gibson Brands Forums

Belated HNGD

OldBlue&Blondie

Spent three weeks working on a ship so I figured I needed a reward. So I got a Les Paul Studio Joe Bonamassa the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. As a note, and to my embarassment, I hadn't heard of Joe Bonamass (and I love the blues). I just liked the idea of a beefier LP with upgraded pups and tuners at a decent price. Anyway, still working on the settings for my amp, but my initial impression is that it's not a bad guitar. The sustain is real nice but I am still getting used to the thicker neck. My two other guitars are different: a 2009 CS 356 and a 1980 Fender The Strat. Weight wise my new toy falls in the middle at 8.8s lbs (the CS356 is a shade under 7 and the Strat is 13#). The rosewood fingerboard is in the middle as far comfort (CS 356 is ebony and I really like that the Strat neck is mapla and a challenge). I am still dialing in my amp to my new toy so tone-wise I'm still getting comfortable. There are times the beast just vibrates your belly button and just really has that nice Les Paul tone. I think I'm going to change out the knobs to black like my CS 356 (I don't get the weird different knobs on it). Quality wise, it's pretty darn good. I got it from Wildwood (also where I got my CS 356) and the set up is pretty good. I might lower the action eventually. So, pretty happy new LP guy.

post-38118-078843700 1323316491_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the new guitar! I know the feeling of getting a new one as I've only had my wine red Studio for about 4 weeks now and am learning about it and lov'in it! I agree with you on the knobs. I don't get it. The black ones should look great. Enjoy!!

If "Joe" like 11's, more power to him. I like them, too...on my Gretsch

Country Gent, and Duo-Jet. The Fender's get hybrid (9-46), and the Gibby's

get 10's, generally. My fingers seem to love the lighter 9's on Fender's,

more so, than 10's. So, I guess I'm "all over the place," with string guages!

[biggrin]

CB

Archived