Gibson Brands Forums

Why not clip strings at tuners?

JOESTONE

In the 60s there was a reason to keep em long.

You stuck the end in your cig(arette) to keep it alight during the interminal guiatr solo.

Now so many of us have given up fags and piled on 3 stone instead then there is no reason except laziness.

IMHO!

Which is why my J45 has been untrimmed for two weeks!

Never had a hankerin' for faggs, on either side of the 'pond', so I never had to give 'em up.

Haven't tried those' date=' but I [b']do [/b]use the Bob Colosi String Cap Crimper.

It places a small metal cap over the cut ends and crimps it tight to the string, so I don't get poked.

Here are the caps, magnified 200 times.

60633-group2ww-m.jpg

I bet them 6 deely boppers look absolutely delightful bobbin about. =;

What are them balls made of ?? Brass? =P~

I clip mine short now too. 30 years ago while running from the police through Emmylou Harris' backyard after trying to play and sing "Making Believe" under her window, the looped string ends got caught in a large Magnolia tree and ripped it right out of my hands. I also dropped and broke a perfectly good 1/2 full bottle of Jack Danials. Emmylou still plays that guitar on stage from time to time. Please, clip those strings before something bad happens to you too!!

I clip mine short now too. 30 years ago while running from the police through Emmylou Harris' backyard after trying to play and sing "Making Believe" under her window' date=' the looped string ends got caught in a large Magnolia tree and ripped it right out of my hands. I also dropped and broke a perfectly good 1/2 full bottle of Jack Danials. Emmylou still plays that guitar on stage from time to time. Please, clip those strings before something bad happens to you too!![/size']

We have a winner!!! :-$

:-$ :-$ =D>

Good one, TWilson - got a good chuckle from thattun:)

Someone mentioned cigs and joints in the strings. I used to have the habit and during marathon rehearsals I stuck em between the string and headstock like a fool, and some of my older guitars sport the scars. Makes me wince and want to kick myself when I see that. Ugh.

Good one' date=' TWilson - got a good chuckle from thattun:)

Someone mentioned cigs and joints in the strings. I used to have the habit and during marathon rehearsals I stuck em between the string and headstock like a fool, and some of my older guitars sport the scars. Makes me wince and want to kick myself when I see that. Ugh. [/quote']

Arn't those burns now considered a necessary part of Relic'd guitars? It seems to me that on a relic'd Tele it is not truly complete until you put a burn below the low E string.... (Didn't SRV have one like that?) FWIW, I used to do that with my old guitar too when playing. Not any more since I love my current instruments. I did it then because it was hard to play while holding a smoke in your mouth and getting the smoke in your eye.... (Maybe that is what started that whole song "Smoke Get's in your eyes")

Archived