Gibson Brands Forums

Been in a rut for a while...

ShredAstaire

I hadn't written anything in a very long time...every time i picked up the guitar, i put it down within 30 minutes due to frustration.

Last night I picked it up and was inspired...in about 2 hours, i wrote a whole new instrumental tune. I didn't record it though...want to hone it a bit more...it felt REALLY good to write something again. I just changed my tuning....kicked out some sweet Drop C riffs and things started to materialize...

Once I record it I will have to write a solo for it...always my toughest job...oh well, I will do it!

Anyone in a rut right now? Keep picking it up and playing...one day it will hit ya!

I hadn't written anything in a very long time...every time i picked up the guitar, i put it down within 30 minutes due to frustration.

Last night I picked it up and was inspired...in about 2 hours, i wrote a whole new instrumental tune. I didn't record it though...want to hone it a bit more...it felt REALLY good to write something again. I just changed my tuning....kicked out some sweet Drop C riffs and things started to materialize...

Once I record it I will have to write a solo for it...always my toughest job...oh well, I will do it!

Anyone in a rut right now? Keep picking it up and playing...one day it will hit ya!

I have been in one for awhile bro.

Talking about a rut! As a songwriter I have been in one for a long time. I tried to write home the other day and got hung up on Dear Mom! [blink]

You're complaining about having no shoes....I have no feet!

I've been playing for almost 50 years.... have never written ANYTHING!

In my younger days, I'd try to write something, but just ended up playing something that someone else already wrote!

It's a skill I never acquired....to my detriment!

Rob...we play guitar for different reasons. What matters is that we are playing guitar, right?

Yeah... of course you're right.... but writing songs is something I've missed.

I don't find my life "unusual" or "exciting" enough to write about my own experiences... or maybe it's just that I don't have the discipline to sit down and get something together....

But it's okay now..... I'm too old to change much now.

I don't find my life "unusual" or "exciting" enough to write about my own experiences... or maybe it's just that I don't have the discipline to sit down and get something together....

Like Shred said, we play guitar for different reasons. I can't stand to play covers but different strokes right?

I don't write, either, in the technical sense. But I consider improvisation a form of invention. Unfortunately, my best improvisation often doesn't register with me while I'm playing. While I'm recording, I won't realize that I like certain stuff until I play it back. Then it's gone and I have to go find it. I think that is a good case for recording everything.

Writing is hard, man. My combo back home did several original tunes, but I have not written anything since I moved out to CT. Just keep a notebook and pen around at all times. My old man is an incredible song writer, but I guess it skips a generation. [confused]

Guest farnsbarns

There's a comedian here called Alan Davies who was talking about one of the bands in his home town, Whitstable. They wrote a song about Peter Cushing, a famous British actor, living near them. It went like this...

Peter Cushing lives in Whitstable,

I have seen him on his bicycle,

I have seen him him buying vegetables,

And so on. Try writing about something very mundane to comic effect.

There's a comedian here called Alan Davies who was talking about one of the bands in his home town, Whitstable. They wrote a song about Peter Cushing, a famous British actor, living near them. It went like this...

I have seen him on his bicycle,

I have seen him him buying vegetables,

And so on. Try writing about something very mundane to comic effect.

How's this?

San Francisco - an asylum for the insane,

Nothing here is ever mundane.

Politics is a crazy game,

Making all here quite inane.

I've never been able to write a song, I don't have that gift- as badly as I wish I did.

However, I do have the gift of producing/arranging/mixing, and I can play guitar pretty well.

All of us have some sort of gift- we just have to find out what it is, and, how to best use it.

As a player, I get in ruts from time to time- that's when I start looking at other genre's of music, even if I don't care for a certain style,

I've never been able to write a song, I don't have that gift- as badly as I wish I did.

However, I do have the gift of producing/arranging/mixing, and I can play guitar pretty well.

All of us have some sort of gift- we just have to find out what it is, and, how to best use it.

As a player, I get in ruts from time to time- that's when I start looking at other genre's of music, even if I don't care for a certain style,

Mar... that's the worst song I've ever heard!

Here's what I notice: When I am in a band, I write more and play more because I am more motivated and "pressured" to do so. Since my acoustic folk trio broke up about two months ago, I have totally been in a rut. You'd think I would find a way to channel that frustration into song, but thus far, it hasn't translated. When I thought our trio was going somewhere, I went out and bought a beautiful (used) Taylor GS-8 acoustic-electric; two weeks later, one of the girls quit.

Now, if I play, I usually am just down in my basement bashing out power chords on my SG Classic: fun, but definitely more cathartic than creative.

That's my way of saying, Yes, I am in a rut too!

Interesting post-script to this: I wanted to carry on with the one girl who was still in the band, maybe do more of a Simon and Garfunkel thing. But...her husband didn't trust her to be alone at my house: I don't know if he doesn't trust me or HER! :-k

Here's what I notice: When I am in a band, I write more and play more because I am more motivated and "pressured" to do so. Since my acoustic folk trio broke up about two months ago, I have totally been in a rut. You'd think I would find a way to channel that frustration into song, but thus far, it hasn't translated. When I thought our trio was going somewhere, I went out and bought a beautiful (used) Taylor GS-8 acoustic-electric; two weeks later, one of the girls quit.

Now, if I play, I usually am just down in my basement bashing out power chords on my SG Classic: fun, but definitely more cathartic than creative.

That's my way of saying, Yes, I am in a rut too!

Interesting post-script to this: I wanted to carry on with the one girl who was still in the band, maybe do more of a Simon and Garfunkel thing. But...her husband didn't trust her to be alone at my house: I don't know if he doesn't trust me or HER! :-k

The REAL question is.....which of you would have to be Garfunkle?

I'm not a writer as such but I've been in a bit of a rut in my playing recently. I've found that as I've improved, I am finding it harder to play with people that aren't a lot better than I am. Not saying I'm anything great, but definitely more advanced than any of my guitar buddies. I just play better with folks who can push my limits.

Dave

Expressionless I stare away

From the spaces in-between

another empty page today

looking too hard to be seen

The words elude me

the notes are all wrong

imagination betrays

without inspiration I still write this song....

msp_biggrin.gif

Archived