Gibson Brands Forums

Been in a rut for a while...

ShredAstaire

There has to be a bunch of different ways to write songs. Do you guys who write songs find that if you write lyrics first, the melodies tend to spring from the lyrics and the phrasing of the lyrics?

Yes and no. Almost every song I have a part, either verse or chorus, that I have the melody worked out for the words, but very rarely do I have a songs worth of lyrics down then write the music. I usually jam and record and then listen back. I'll hear something I like then tweak it then have words and a melody fit in

I am not in a rut mentally, I do have several riffs that have becomes song ideas that I will eventually record, problem is with a newborn in the house I have not been able to practice my own riffs and it shows, I had the opportunity to record one night last week while my wife and baby were out and while the riffs are good the execution was not good.

I will get around to practice and then record, I do however need to find to make the most of the little time I get to practice.

Lyrics don't come that easy for me but if I sit down and make the effort i can get something.

I never thought I could write a song but I have found it easier than meeting people to play with at a hobbyist level, it seems everybody in this town is "trying to make it"

I write a lot, my problem is following through with a finished product. I'll get a chord run or riff and some changes, maybe a first verse or a turnaround, then shelf the damn thing for the rest of my life! I really need to buckle down and finish a song or two. [unsure]

As for process, it could come from a lyric first, or a riff first. Maybe an idea or feeling I want to convey.

I write a lot, my problem is following through with a finished product. I'll get a chord run or riff and some changes, maybe a first verse or a turnaround, then shelf the damn thing for the rest of my life! I really need to buckle down and finish a song or two. [unsure]

As for process, it could come from a lyric first, or a riff first. Maybe an idea or feeling I want to convey.

LOL...Man, do I know that situation/feeling! [tongue] I have hundreds of "lyrics/poems" and no

real melodies, and I have quite a few chord progressions, melodies, with no lyrics. Getting the

two, together, seems to be my biggest problem. "Lyrics" are much easier, for me to come up with,

than a tune, to go with it. I think, part of that problem is, trying to come up with a totally

"original" tune...which we all know, is almost impossible, as everything has been done, before,

and OFTEN. In the case of "blues," and "Country" songs, the only difference, quite often, is the

actual words! Tunes, and progressions can be, and often are, identical! So...???

CB

Sounds real familiar to me . . . what I've found is that if I record what I have, like a riff or break or what have you, and I reach a point where I can't get any further with it, I shelve it and let it age a little and move on to something else. I've got a ton of started songs on file. But I do try to make time once in a while to go back and listen to the archives. Usually, I'll hear one of them a little differently and start working on it again. Eventually, I'll end up with a finished product long after it was started, but finished nonetheless. I have far more unfinished songs than I do finished, but it does help me to keep a big pile of unfinished ideas around to draw on when inspiration calls and I'm catapulted out of that rut.

Sounds real familiar to me . . . what I've found is that if I record what I have, like a riff or break or what have you, and I reach a point where I can't get any further with it, I shelve it and let it age a little and move on to something else. I've got a ton of started songs on file. But I do try to make time once in a while to go back and listen to the archives. Usually, I'll hear one of them a little differently and start working on it again. Eventually, I'll end up with a finished product long after it was started, but finished nonetheless. I have far more unfinished songs than I do finished, but it does help me to keep a big pile of unfinished ideas around to draw on when inspiration calls and I'm catapulted out of that rut.

That's what I need to do. Make time or get into the habit of looking through the archives. I usually video or record my ideas somewhere. They're all collecting virtual dust right now.

eusa_whistle.gif .........Not that I've noticed from you..........

As per a " musical rut "......No John, I've never been in one.............

Shred's acoustic instrumental effort is one of the best things I have heard around here, if you catch my drift...

Shred's original post reflects truth we can relate to as opposed to, you know, lies.

The famous songwriter, Harlan Howard, was once ask his advise on how to write a hit song. He said, first find a song that is already a hit, then write new lyrics to that song. Once you have the new lyrics, write a new melody to your lyrics. (If nothing else, this would be a great exercise to help get out of the rut from a creative dry spell.)

I hadn't written anything in a very long time...

Spending too much time on guitar forums.... Lately I've cut my posting on guitar forums by 80% and my focus is now directed at playing guitar, rather than talking about it.

Basically now I just come in to handle mod duties and call it a day.

Spending too much time on guitar forums.... Lately I've cut my posting on guitar forums by 80% and my focus is now directed at playing guitar, rather than talking about it.

Basically now I just come in to handle mod duties and call it a day.

Nah...i'm usually on here when at work, when i couldn't be playing guitar anyway...so that is definitely not the reason...

Archived