Gibson Brands Forums

1942 Gibson SJ banner Logo

helmspj

The guitar would need a full refret after a neck reset either way. If not, it would have a hump at the 14th (where it joins the body). They have to remove all frets and lightly sand the fret board flat.

Truth is, it isn't museum grade. It is a heck of a guitar and there are a lot of players that would pay 9 grand for a perfect playing banner SJ. A neck reset and refret would put it in that category.

Just my .02

Congrats on the find! I have been searching for a long time for something like that!

The guitar would need a full refret after a neck reset either way. If not, it would have a hump at the 14th (where it joins the body). They have to remove all frets and lightly sand the fret board flat.

Truth is, it isn't museum grade. It is a heck of a guitar and there are a lot of players that would pay 9 grand for a perfect playing banner SJ. A neck reset and refret would put it in that category.

Just my .02

Congrats on the find! I have been searching for a long time for something like that!

Well from what I understand Mel said that once my 1.3k repairs were paid for the guitar would sell at 8.5k with a 15% commission towards him or have him buy the guitar as is for 2k. I mean it is playable and sounds great plus I don't have that kinda funds to shell out for something that's not broke... I wish I did though all from the way this sounds lol. All is good! [thumbup]

I came on here asking, what IF I refinished it and refreted it? The answers I received were pointing at leaving it original and so I have.

That's fine, but the point is, you were considering the idea of refinishing it, which showed some inexperience on your part.

Sorry but I didn't know I was, what you call "ranting". I was merely listening to others and gathering info about what I have elsewhere and sharing in shop experiences and trying to keep it ORIGINAL.

Well, you haven't been "just listening". You've done a lot of "talking" too. You posted all of that correspondence with Elderly, and you were complaining about the way they dealt with you, suggesting that they didn't know what they were doing in terms of repairing a guitar that "ain't broke" (it's not so simple as "broke" vs "ain't broke"). To me it was like a rant, and since you quickly went from the idea of refinishing it to "I want it ORIGINAL", you seemed a bit confused.

Again, I wish you good luck with it, but I'm just telling you straight, since you came here asking for opinions.

If you don't have the money to do the repairs, then it's a moot point, but obviously 85% of $8500 would be a nice return on your investment (if you had the money).

Elderly and Gruhn are two of the biggest vintage guitar buyers/sellers around. You know they have to make a handsome profit on whatever buying, selling, and repair work they do in order to "pay the bills" so ... as I mentioned earlier, get a dis-interested 3rd party evaluation of the SJ's condition and anticipated repairs. Or take it to one of the big guitar shows - like Dallas or Philly, and walk it around and see what dealers say about it. Then you can decide what's best for you without all the other stuff clogging up your decision making process. Mixing repairs with selling isn't always kosher ... as these guys know how to play the game as well as any dealer. Of course, you wouldn't be the first guy to trade a nice '43 SJ for a smoking TV LP Junior, but you get my drift. If you really are set on selling it (maybe you don't need to sell it all), why not try listing it on "Buy and Sell" at UMGF.com? Many fine high-end guitars have been bought and sold there. Or if you like adventure, how about eBay, or Craigslist, or even at an auctioneer like Heritage, Christie's, or Skinner? Maybe don't do anything, kick back ... play and enjoy it for awhile.

Elderly and Gruhn are two of the biggest vintage guitar buyers/sellers around. You know they have to make a handsome profit on whatever buying, selling, and repair work they do in order to "pay the bills" so ... as I mentioned earlier, get a dis-interested 3rd party evaluation of the SJ's condition and anticipated repairs. Or take it to one of the big guitar shows - like Dallas or Philly, and walk it around and see what dealers say about it. Then you can decide what's best for you without all the other stuff clogging up your decision making process. Mixing repairs with selling isn't always kosher ... as these guys know how to play the game as well as any dealer. Of course, you wouldn't be the first guy to trade a nice '43 SJ for a smoking TV LP Junior, but you get my drift. If you really are set on selling it (maybe you don't need to sell it all), why not try listing it on "Buy and Sell" at UMGF.com? Many fine high-end guitars have been bought and sold there. Or if you like adventure, how about eBay, or Craigslist, or even at an auctioneer like Heritage, Christie's, or Skinner? Maybe don't do anything, kick back ... play and enjoy it for awhile.

Kicking back and playing is the best answer by far! Thanks man [thumbup]

I was going to reply yesterday, what you found out today. These dealers will do all the work which you pay for. I believe they will always find something in need of repair at their shop at their prices. Then they hang the guitar in their shop and charge you a percent to sell it. This is a great deal for them, don't you think? No risk. If it doesn't sell at the set price then they lowball to buy it from you. Been there. Yes they want it, because it is a cool guitar and they have no risk involved and looks good in their window. You can have all that work done for less money at other fine repair shops. If you really want to sell it, do a good write up with pictures, measurements an audio file if you can. Put it on here or on the UMGF. You can also get a gbase site (guitar base) for $30 a month, put it on there with all the other national shops. Put it on ebay. Put a price on it and you will get interest.

Terry

Archived