Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - J-45 ADJ Cherry Top

Gio

A few weeks ago I mentioned I was going to buy this guitar and finally I brought it home a few days ago.

P1060983.jpg

I can't be objective in describing how good this guitar sounds. Deep and "thudding" (*) bass, great balance, beautiful strumming. The guitar seems to have a vintage sound, very woody. I like the way my belly shakes when I play it... [smile]

The neck is comfortable and the finish is great because although it's gloss it makes the wood structure visible:

P1060975.jpg

There are a few glue traces in the area between soundhole and freatboard and on an x-brace, but the rest of the guitar is impeccable.

P1060970.jpg

While I will certainly replace the bridge pins as soon as possible, in the future I might change tuners and replace the saddle with a non adjustable bone one. But I'm not so sure it's necessary.

P1060969.jpg

I really love this guitar. A lot.

(*) I hope the term "thudding" is appropriate...

Beautiful! Love the Gibson imprinted pickguard! I saw one of these at Fullers last year sometime that was a serious cherry red color, yours looks a bit on the orange side of that one. It was called a 60-something reissue, I think. Congrats on a new Gibson in the house!

How uplifting to see these pictures. I really like the fact so many models and branches are covered by different Board-members.

This one has a lot of personality already. Which tuners are on - and with what would you replace them ?

(As you might know the PG-logo was introduced in the mid60's)

Flags up – everything's open

E-Minor7, I like this forum because, besides the obvious but various Gibson posts, there's a lot of talk about different music genres and styles. It seems to be very open minded.

Currently the guitar has three on a plate enclosed tuners, with white oval plastic knobs (I'll post a pic as soon as possible). They look fine and I think they are period-correct. The fact is that I love Waverlies and I have a set with oval ivoroid knobs lying around... I also just bought of unused 50's Grover Sta-Tite (in the original box) from an UMGF member, but they wouldn't really fit because they have a metal knob.

I don't know, like I said it's not really necessary. We'll see.

... in the future I might ... replace the saddle with a non adjustable bone one. ...

You paid extra for that adjustable bridge, so I'd leave it alone if I were you. The one change that might be worth considering is replacing the Tusq saddle by a ceramic saddle, either a vintage one or a modern reproduction. That would give the guitar a little more of a classic '60s tone, if that's what you're going for. (An actual '68 would have a rosewood saddle, IIRC, but I'm pretty sure that you don't want one of those.)

-- Bob R

Beautiful guitar. Like rar I would think twice about changing that adjustable bridge. The adjustable bridges seem to get a bad name but my 66 J-45 sounds great just as it was made, and I have a friend with a 65 one that sounds spectacular.

Beautiful...and KEEP THE BRIDGE!

You know what, I'm a closet fan of those adj. Bridges. I used to own an all-Hog B15 with one, and it sounded amazing. A guy I wrote several tunes for my next record with has two identical '64 J50 adj's, and they are out of this world. I like the extra percussive bite those bridges add, they look cool and it's always convenient to be able to adjust your action on the fly with 'em.

I recently played a very dark red model identical to yours, and it sounded huge. Happy picking!

If you like the sound just keep the saddle. Owned a fair number of vintage Gibsons here plus played many many more & IME changing from adjustable to fixed saddle will not guarantee any improvement & I say this as a guy who prefers a fixed saddle. I was down at Elderly in the past year playing three or four similar vintage Gibson J-50s and the best sounding one was an adj. saddle model.

A good guitar is a good guitar no matter what it's appointments. Nice guitar you got there.

I'll add another vote for keeping the bridge. I've posted up here in the past about a visit paid to my local Gibson dealer. On that day, by far the best sounding Gibson to my ears was a J-45 adj.. I almost didn't even pick it up to try because of the bridge, but curiosity got the better of me and it was an ear-opening experience. I simply wouldn't have changed a thing. Enjoy your new Gibson!

Like Guth, when I first saw the guitar I was skeptical because of the bridge. But when I strummed the first G chord I knew I had found something special. I wanted to replace a Hummingbird Artist that I had recently sold with a good Gibson and I was quite open-minded about the model. But also in this case this was the best sounding Gibson in the shop.

Until a few months ago I thought: 'only Martins are for me'. Now I have the Gibson bug...and I'm very happy about it.

Like Guth, when I first saw the guitar I was skeptical because of the bridge. But when I strummed the first G chord I knew I had found something special. I wanted to replace a Hummingbird Artist that I had recently sold with a good Gibson and I was quite open-minded about the model. But also in this case this was the best sounding Gibson in the shop.

Until a few months ago I thought: 'only Martins are for me'. Now I have the Gibson bug...and I'm very happy about it.

could you post a picture of the full guitar ? .

I love the way it looks and am happy that you found it !!

Archived