Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Invader with weird tremolo

BambooKid

Hi all,

In the '80s, I bought an Invader that came with a crazy floating tremolo bridge, big chunky thing set into the guitar, that the strings fed through and wound around. I've never seen another on any guitar. Has anyone ever seen another of these? The only guess a guy in NYC once had was it was a prototype, but it had the Gibson logo on it, which would be weird for a prototype, I think.

post-38180-073217100 1323452128_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

In the '80s, I bought an Invader that came with a crazy floating tremolo bridge, big chunky thing set into the guitar, that the strings fed through and wound around. I've never seen another on any guitar. Has anyone ever seen another of these? The only guess a guy in NYC once had was it was a prototype, but it had the Gibson logo on it, which would be weird for a prototype, I think.

pics would help

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that is what they are. They were made by Schaller. I've got one on my 1984 Challenger III, They were also found on some of the Plum Burst (purple burst) flying V's and Explorers. So, they were out for just the one year. I'm still trying to find the whammy bar for mine. It's very similar to the Floyd Rose bars of the time where Schaller also made the bars, but the Floyd bars will not fit. The shaft that goes into the trem hole is just a tad big.

• 1 year later...

I have a Explorer III Custom shop with one. I like it. Not my favorite sounding guitar but I like the tremolo system the best as far as tone, etc. But. If a string breaks and you are in a live scenario, forget it. Get another guitar. It is tougher then any Schaller, Kahler, Locking whatever system. I'm actually trying to find a replacement arm which is seeming impossible. If push comes to shove I may fabricate one from scratch.

• 9 months later...

Archived