Gibson Brands Forums

Help needed locating my j-200 to be

Deadgrateful

Firstly, lo'everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster (well not that long really).

I've saved up a bit of cash and am looking to get my hands on a prewar western classic J-200. The rosewood tone really gets me going :-)

Anyway, here's my problem, I'm after a 2007/08 model, but can't seem to find one in the UK anywhere :-(. Tried googling, ebaying and the usually stockists (GAK, GuitarGuitar etc.) and they don't have any in stock...

Soooo anyone got any ideas? Oh and anyone actually played one or owns one? I'd love to hear what you thought

Hey Mike,

We'll I'm certainly not 100% set on the western classic, although it's def a J-200 of some sort I'm after. My guitar dealer just called to say he had a TV Ltd J-200 which sounds quite nice. Anyone got any experience comparing the two?

It probably sounds pathetic, but I'm not a big fan of the gold Gotoh tuners (or the grovers on the modern classics). Is it possible to drop in a set of Waverly's in their place?

Hi Deadgrateful. We've had previous threads about the lack of quality ships stocking a range of Gibson acoustics, especially in the south of England.

But........I visited Coda Music in Luton not too long ago (bought a used Tak 12er) and they had a few Gibsons. However, their shop in Stevenage has a superb range, including a J45 Vine which I didn't have time to play. I recall they had 3 or 4 J200s.

So I suggest you give them a call and see what they can do for you. Very helpful and knowledgable, particularly in Stevenage.

Thanks Dead!

What does that make yours then TW ?

If yours is a VS and VOS is vintage ORIGINAL spec

The is your beloved SJ200 not original?

As oft mentioned before these specs confuse the hell out of me.

Listen Bozeman a J45 is a J45!

Call the variant a J46 if you must like Nashville do with the 335/336/339 etc

Rant!

Firstly' date=' lo'everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster (well not that long really).

I've saved up a bit of cash and am looking to get my hands on a prewar western classic J-200. The rosewood tone really gets me going :-)

Anyway, here's my problem, I'm after a 2007/08 model, but can't seem to find one in the UK anywhere :-(. Tried googling, ebaying and the usually stockists (GAK, GuitarGuitar etc.) and they don't have any in stock...

Soooo anyone got any ideas? Oh and anyone actually played one or owns one? I'd love to hear what you thought[/quote']

Dead,

You seek the Holy Grail, grasshopper!

I don't even want to go again about Gibson acoustics in Uk, Its a well trodden trail!

Try Guitar Village in Farnham they had a very nice blonde 200 there about a month ago.

Also you must know the guys at Guitar Junction in Worthing, they are very helpful and may know of one.

Andertons in Guildford had a blonde basic 200 which was a stunner I very nearly bought it.

From time to time there is a guy on Evilbay who has a 300 or two.

Good luck with your search let me know if you find the place where the flying pigs tread carefully so as not to step in the rocking horse s*it?

Wherever that is it will be easier to find than a good stock of Gibson Acoustics in UK!

BR

John

Dead' date='

You seek the Holy Grail, grasshopper!

I don't even want to go again about Gibson acoustics in Uk, Its a well trodden trail!

Try Guitar Village in Farnham they had a very nice blonde 200 there about a month ago.

Also you must know the guys at Guitar Junction in Worthing, they are very helpful and may know of one.

Andertons in Guildford had a blonde basic 200 which was a stunner I very nearly bought it.

From time to time there is a guy on Evilbay who has a 300 or two.

Good luck with your search let me know if you find the place where the flying pigs tread carefully so as not to step in the rocking horse s*it?

Wherever that is it will be easier to find than a good stock of Gibson Acoustics in UK!

BR

John[/quote']

JT and everyone else.

I visited the Stevenage branch of Coda a couple of weeks ago and they had a very good range of Gibson acoustics - including several J 200s and a J45 Vine which looked very classy. Unfortunately I was on my way to a meeting so didn't get time to have a play.

No affiliation just pleased to find a shop with a good range to admire.

JT and everyone else.

I visited the Stevenage branch of Coda a couple of weeks ago and they had a very good range of Gibson acoustics - including several J 200s and a J45 Vine which looked very classy. Unfortunately I was on my way to a meeting so didn't get time to have a play.

No affiliation just pleased to find a shop with a good range to admire.

Funnily enough I am in St Albans Monday

What does that make yours then TW ?

If yours is a VS and VOS is vintage ORIGINAL spec

The is your beloved SJ200 not original?

As oft mentioned before these specs confuse the hell out of me.

Listen Bozeman a J45 is a J45!

Call the variant a J46 if you must like Nashville do with the 335/336/339 etc

Rant!

Johnt-Thanks for your interest in my beloved AJ-200. It's a Modern Classic' date=' 2007 birth, vs=vintage sunburst. The sun is out, the day is young-to the mountains and the card game!![/color']

Hi everyone , I`m NEW , but not a lurker , looked for this Forum , signed -up and dived in :)/

Actually , I was going to get a J -200 , and that`s where confusion popped up...

J-200 , SJ -200 , SJ -100...SJ -300...what`s the difference ??

Do I understand correctly , that the SJ -mods. , are specifically designed to incorporate a P U ?..

Whereas the J -mods. are Pure Acoustics ?

Anyone know what differences there are , different bracings , sizes , flat back or rounded back , or perhaps

different cosmetics , ( Hi/Low bling factor ) or even designed for particular string-gauge .

I am talking about them " King of the flat-tops " , not them southern mods.

Any input will be highly appreciated , printed , and used to persuade ( wrestle down ) the guy in the musicstore to put down the price biggrin.gif/

Vic

JumboFan- Welcome to the forum. I don't have as much knowledge as others but here's some info to get you started. The SJ-200 and J200 are the same animal called each of these things at different times. The 100,200, and 300 are all super jumbo size guitars and they look the same shapewise. The J-100 is the sparsest as far as bling and other appointments go but are fine looking and sounding guitars in their own right. I've seen them in a variety of woods but mostly spruce and either mahogany, maple or bubinga. The SJ-200 also comes in a variety of tonewoods with spruce/maple being quite common. Koa looks nice but I've never played one. They have more bling than the 100 including neck and headstock binding etc. The SJ-300 has the most bling and, if I remember correctly, they are usually spruce/rosewood. They have lots of abalone on them and are great guitars and pricey. I've played only one of these and it was spectacular. I settled on the object of my G.A.S. which was an SJ-200 Modern Classic in spruce and flamed maple, vintage sunburst with the L.R. Baggs pickup. I'm sure others will jump in and finish this off and make corrections but until then here's a little look for you:

Pic1146.jpg

Many thanks for the informative reply , I admit to be liking " bling " , but as it is , I`ve been wanting a Jumbo for quite some time , a used J -200 in pristine condition showed up , and was sold right under my nose , however , a music store just got the new J -100 , costing only about a couple a hundred more than that used J -200 , thanks to this thread , in particular T Wilson `s reply , I might as well target that J -100 , I guess the top will open -up in 3 -4 yrs. , and by that time I `ll be used to that big box +:-@/

Thanks again

Archived