Gibson Brands Forums

Just Picked Up Rocksmith Bundle

solidwing

Hi all my name is James and I have just picked up the Rocksmith Bundle for PS3. I got it at best buy and paid $200 for it and now I got it home and I'm a complete noob when it comes to playing musical instruments. I've never played an electric guitar before and I always wanted to learn. I decided to pick this up because I read it's reviews and seen it got good scores, and that it really excels at teaching beginners how to play. Another reason why I wanted to learn how to play was because of my favorite band Mudvayne, their songs have really cool rhythms to it and I always thought one day I want to try and cover some of their songs. So now I have a few questions I'd like to ask. 1, I am left-handed and I hold the neck with my right and use the pick to pluck the strings with my left, and the knobs at the bottom I don't know what they are for, but they are in the way. 2, Is there any website I can go to to see like a beginner's guide on how to play, position my fingers, know what each string is and so on. I don't know what else to ask, but if anyone can help me on some beginner's stuff I'd appreciate the help, thanks and take care.

I just read the Wikipedia about Rocksmith. It SOUNDS like a great Idea.

What guitar are you using now? The thought of playing a "Right-Handed"

instrument upside down AND leaving the strings as is Freaks my mind out.

I really am thinking a left-handed Guitar would be to your advantage!

I taught myself to play at 13 using a Mel Bay chord book, cannot remember

how I was exposed to Barre Chords. Rocksmith appears to be the "electronic"

version of a Beginner's chord/song book, with several extra goodies tossed in.

I'm thinking that if you are indeed a "Lefty", you should be using a Git for

Left Handed players, as it would simplify your learning of chords, and would

definitely speed up the learning curve. I'm a "right-handed" player, and if I

were to grab a left-handed Git and try to learn while holding it in the Right hand

position and not reversing the strings (new Nut would be needed for that) it would

create problems later with Chords (Especially Barre Chord) and lead runs/bends.

post back with Git info, pics if possible.

You would be a very unconventional git player.

Rocksmith is an excellent way to get started playing and great for anyone to hone their skills a bit and learn some new songs. There's a great thread on it over on MLP if anyone is interested. I picked it up when it came out but really haven't had the time to play around with it much, myself. I plan to really get into it during my 1 week Christmas break from work. The game can be set up for either right or left handed players, but the guitar should be left or right handed or at the least, strung up in the standard way for the appropriate side. Unless you're planning on emulating the late, great, Albert King.

http://www.mylespaul...tml#post3295014

I've had the game for a few months and it's quite fun even with a music degree and almost 40 years playing experience. Click here for my comments.

1. If you're going to learn left handed, you'll need a left handed guitar. The strings will be upside down on a righty guitar unless you have a tech recut the nut and set it up lefty. Nothing you can do about the knobs on a righty set up for lefty, they'll always be in the wrong spot (but it didn't seen to hinder Hendrix much).

2. Any good beginning guitar book will show you proper positioning how to finger the strings, hold a pick, practice alternate picking, etc., or you can cruize Youboob for instructional videos. The game itself has some of those tutorials built in.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Well, I will try to learn how to use it with my right hand as my strumming hand, it's no big deal I just don't know what the knobs are for at the bottom that would be in the way if I used it left handed. And also what would beginner books would you suggest brianh?. I may look up some instructional videos on youtube, but I may buy a few books as well. Another thing I'd like to ask, what would be a good amp to buy that's good for a beginner like my self. I don't want to pay too much, but I also want something that will give me good sound as well. One of the rep's from gibson recommended the epiphone all access pack and even though it's $150 bucks it does come with some nice things. I just like to ask some thoughs on that before I decide on what amp to buy. Thanks again.

And also what would beginner books would you suggest brianh?. I may look up some instructional videos on youtube, but I may buy a few books as well.

I'd recommend William Leavitt's "A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1" from the Berklee School of Music: http://www.amazon.co...KZF4CH20QVCZMBP

This is the book I started out with and it's just as useful now as the day it was written.

Another thing I'd like to ask, what would be a good amp to buy that's good for a beginner like my self. I don't want to pay too much, but I also want something that will give me good sound as well.

Line 6 amps are relatively inexpensive rugged and relaible amps that have a wide range of preset sounds, a built-in tuner, and are available at most music retailers: http://www.guitarcen...871-i1470458.gc

My son has had one of these amps for 4 years now and not a moment of problems with it, and no tubes to buy. If you don't want to disturb the neighbors, it has a built-in headphone jack, but you can also get their portable headphone amp: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B005DZS0LS

Don't forget that the Rocksmith game allows you to use it as an amp too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived