Gibson Brands Forums

When you have to fly, what kind of plane do you like?

heymisterk

My buddy used to fly C-130s (before that he flew F4's). One time he had to make an emergency landing in VA on the way down south. There happened to be another plane from his unit there. So he asked them if he could borrow their plane. They said no because they wanted to get back to watch the Bills game the next day. He told them "no worries, I'll get back in time for you" but they still said no.

So the next morning he got his unit up real early and basically stole their plane! He did get them all back in time, so all was well in the end. But the other unit was pi$$ed when they didn't see their plane in the morning.

I don't fear heights... I fear rapidly hitting the ground.

Buffalo has a ton of aviation history. Cornell University started a lab here called Cornell Aeronautical Labs, which is now Calspan Corporation. Cornell told the lab they couldn't go in the red. It was a basic research lab but they had to make money to stay afloat.

After numerous studies they realized that the "crash" was the thing that killed a pilot. So they invented the crash helmet. The football team at Cornell University saw the value of this and they were the first football team to wear hard helmets. That's how the modern-day football helmet was born.

I got a ton of great stories about our fine city...

Grab a ride in this then, I promise you'll be bounced around and hear protection is mandatory.....

753px-Huey1.jpg

or

750px-Lockheed_C-130_Hercules.jpg

I could go for that. They both look like a lot of fun to me, especially with a crazy pilot.

F-15 seems fun too, but I pass out easily. I'd still like it though.

one that stays in the air the whole time its supposed to

I like the plane to be large enough that if it crashes it makes headline news!

+1

Craig

I prefer Boeing to Airbus...especially since recently most of the crashes I have heard about have involved Airbuses

But just because they are poorly maintained in some countries in Eastern Europe.

(My opinion)

I like the kind of plane I don't have to get on. I don't fly (since 9/11). Too scared to.

And one that lands properly!

I'm not picky [flapper]

Not to worry...

Any plane will take you all the way to the crash site.

I'll never forget flying into Seoul Kimpo - now transliterated "Gimpo" - on a 747 at the edge of a major storm and watching the wings flap. But frankly I like that compared to the DC10 'cuz I think it's a smoother ride.

Ain't been on an airplane since '95 and don't particularly care to at this point in time.

The most fun flying was in the era of the DC-3 and walking out to the plane with friends to say good bye - before it was a matter of worrying about stuff other than weather.

m

That's a whole different perspective right there.

Here we are discussing slightly cushier or bigger seats, and really not much has changed sinse the 70's as to the experience. But right before that, things were changing quite quickly.

You aren't even talking about a pressurized cabin.

My first flight in a Huey was with a Vietnam Vet in the very early 80's. I was at Ft Riley KS and we were going to a FTX by chopper since the tracks were already in the field. Then all of the sudden he yelled "Oh no Vietnam Flashback" and floored the collective and the bird dropped like a rock. When he pulled back up the collective the rotors sounded like they were going to break off. From there till we arrived to the FOB we stayed below the trees and it was nothing short of the best roller coaster ride I have even been on; ever.....

Kinda puts petty arguments like tube vs SS into perspective, don't it?

THAT sounds like fun!

Gotta remember though, that the vast majority who rode in those were NOT really having a good time.

Stein...

Then there was the time I was in a two-seater Bell - the bubble type.

On the ground taking pix of 155mm howitzers shooting, I hadda wear a tin pot 'cuz the 8-inchers were shooting over the top of us.

Up in that helico-chopter, I was bare headed and hanging out over the 155s while the 8-inchers were shooting ... how much over our helicopter? I dunno, but thinking about it was kinda a rush.

<grin>

Flying in Hueys down a river to take low-level pix is fun, btw.

m

Depends who the pilot is. If it's someone else, Boeing 767.

If I'm the pilot, a Mooney of some sort will always be my first choice with my current financial situation;

370259.jpg

However, if I won the lotto I'd go and buy a Pilatus PC-7 the next day;

PC7.jpg

And if I could afford the long term fuel/maintenance bill, I'd pick up an L39 Albatross for about $50000 from the Ukraine;

1416117.jpg

I fly a lot 10-15 times a year for the last 20+ years and it never bothered me at all. I won't take a flight in helicopter ever again if I get my choice. I flown in them a few times during being air-evac'd to some trauma ward and Ive been in two helicopter crashes which is pretty amazing since they usually burst into flame, not many people survive the first one but Ive walked away from two (well walked away from one and carried from one on a stretcher technically) so I figure Ive used up my luck on helicopters and stay the hell off of them.

I would give up flying now if I could just because of the damn TSA there 10 times worse than terrorists and It would be enough to keep me from flying but the drive to Maui doesn't work out that well. [biggrin]

I also hate jumping out of planes something else I never got used to and would never do for fun. Sure it's beautiful but it's just wrong to leave a perfectly good airplane and trust your life to a freaking sheet, especially if people want to shoot at you while doing it. [scared]

My first flight in a Huey was with a Vietnam Vet in the very early 80's. I was at Ft Riley KS and we were going to a FTX by chopper since the tracks were already in the field. Then all of the sudden he yelled "Oh no Vietnam Flashback" and floored the collective and the bird dropped like a rock. When he pulled back up the collective the rotors sounded like they were going to break off. From there till we arrived to the FOB we stayed below the trees and it was nothing short of the best roller coaster ride I have even been on; ever.....

Stein...

Then there was the time I was in a two-seater Bell - the bubble type.

On the ground taking pix of 155mm howitzers shooting, I hadda wear a tin pot 'cuz the 8-inchers were shooting over the top of us.

Up in that helico-chopter, I was bare headed and hanging out over the 155s while the 8-inchers were shooting ... how much over our helicopter? I dunno, but thinking about it was kinda a rush.

<grin>

Flying in Hueys down a river to take low-level pix is fun, btw.

m

I'm not sure exactly when my first flight on a slick was, but it was probably in 'Nam, (could have been sooner, I just don't recall).

We used to hitch rides with whoever was going our way in 'Nam. Mostly we flew in Chinooks, as we were an "air mobile 155 Howitzer Battery".

I was on a Chinook that developed mechanical problems and had a "hard landing" on the PSP runway at Quan Loi, (Sp?), home of the 1st Armored Calvary.

The chopper got busted up, but I walked away.

Archived