Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
angustonedog

To swap pickups or not

Alright, so in my 03 sg special i have the stock pickups but i also have a pair of emg hz h3's i got from a buddy for 20 bucks, i am thinking about swapping them in butg am worried about the value of the instument even thought ill never sell it, opinions?

As long as you do a clean install of the pickups and keep the originals (so you can revert it back to orig specs), you'll be fine. Also, it is an SG Special not a Les Paul Black Beauty. Specials get mod'd all of the time.

well i was wondering if anyone has swapped in emg hz h3s to tell me how they sounded

well i have tried the sg lookalike ldt viper (cheap one) with emg hz. sounded cold and harsh in my ears

I modded my faded and put a mid 70s t-top pickup in it and I am glad I did. If you don't like the way the pickups sound you can always put it back to stock, but I wouldn't worry about the value of a special too much since they don't really bring in a lot to begin with.