Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Plustop PRO FX vs Les Paul Blackback

tpurgatoryt

They're both amazing guitars to look at!

I mostly play heavier stuff, Rock and Metal both modern and 80's.

they arn't the most metal looking guitars but who cares about them,

I have a soft spot for les pauls in general.

I can't find any reviews of the blackback on youtube, do you

guys have an experience with either or both guitars?

Cheers guys.

Can't speak for the Blackback but I love my Pro/FX. Build quality was very, very good. The Floyd Rose is a huge pain the rear to get setup but once it is, things are great. Not much difference in tone and sustain from the Tune-o-matic and stopbar. Also worth mentioning is that I needed to have one of the volume/coil split pots and also the input jack replaced free under warranty. The physical guitar is wonderful, the electronics suck. The pickups sound great, however. I picked mine up from Musician's Friend for $399 - 15% about 3 months ago. After all of the minor hassles with it, Musician's Friend gave me another $50 off... I ended up getting the guitar for $290 +/-.

[confused][confused][confused]

Surprised no-one directed you to:

Epi Lounge "Guitar and Gear Review" Sticky...

Epiphone LES PAUL BLACKBACK (Limited Edition):

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/72061-les-paul-limited-edition-blackback-has-arrived/

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67846-snapshot-review-epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-custom-blackback/

No PRO FX reviews as of this posting...

The PRO/FX is a great guitar. I have owned mine for about 4 months and love it. I can not say if you will like it but I suggest you try one out. [thumbup]

AHA!!! BUSTED!!! Should you feel up to it, I'd LOVE to put a good review into the

"Guitar and Gear Review" sticky - [-o<[-o<[-o<

Just go to G and G Sticky in EPi lounge, and look over 3 or 4 reviews that also have

pics to see the kind of format requested. Your input is very valuable, ESPECIALLY

since you've had some play time under your belt.

Takes a slight bit of work, but is well worth it since in the future others will be able to look over

what YOU think about the PRO/FX. May help THEM regarding purchase decision.

Having our members contribute to the EPI forum is what makes this a unique and great place.

We have about.... Ten Gazillion members at this time? If only a small percentage add something,

the Forum improves, and the feeling of community grows.

I assume those 2 guitars are of equall quality, though the blackback being

a Epiphone custom, would that mean that extra time has been put into these guitars?

There is no actual Epiphone Custom Shop.............I learned that from the great Pete R..............[thumbup] ...

The quality of Epiphone in general is very very good......( Sure, bad ones get through, ie, the thread about the white Epi 355 [scared][blush] :blink: ).....

Yes there is, they're called Elitists! [flapper]

Anyway, Tpurg, why don't you check out an Explorer? They're a traditional Gibson design AND heavy metal at the same time.

I played one once and I didn't fancy the shape too much, bit big as well, plus I really want a les paul, ever since i've started playing guitar i've wanted a real les paul! [drool]

bit big as well

That was really one of the draws to me. I'm 6'3", so stuff like LPs and SGs feel small to me. (I do love LPs though). Add that in the fact I'm primarily a bass player, and I tend to really like big guitars.

Hmmm...Les Paul for metal and hard rock...What about one of the Phophecy LP GXes with the Dirty Fingers pickups?

51770_l.jpg

That was really one of the draws to me. I'm 6'3", so stuff like LPs and SGs feel small to me. (I do love LPs though). Add that in the fact I'm primarily a bass player, and I tend to really like big guitars.

Hmmm...Les Paul for metal and hard rock...What about one of the Phophecy LP GXes with the Dirty Fingers pickups?

51770_l.jpg

I'd love a prophecy LP, but in australia theyre about $1200 and id be importing my LP from USA, and i am yet to come across one. [crying]

I'd love a prophecy LP, but in australia theyre about $1200 and id be importing my LP from USA, and i am yet to come across one. [crying]

Try Amazon Epiphone guitars online. I've seen Prophecy LPs going for aprox. $800

The Pro FX is around $500. There are loads of Les Paul guitars there at better prices than

what we gotta pay at the dealers. Have a look. [cool]

Paul

There have been fakes sold on Amazon, too

So just be careful

If it is to good to be true........

Too true.

Best to try before you buy.

Anything you buy online, unseen, it's buyer beware man.

Got dudded on a fake Gibby a few years back. I wasn't aware of these Chinese knockoffs at the time. ](*,)

I'm stuck with it now. [cursing]

Lesson learnt.

Anything you buy online, unseen, it's buyer beware man.

Got dudded on a fake Gibby a few years back. I wasn't aware of these Chinese knockoffs at the time. ](*,)

I'm stuck with it now. [cursing]

Lesson learnt.

I've bought well over 50 guitars online, the vast majority of them from overseas, if you are careful and know your product, things should be fine, I've never had a problem yet, ok, one or two very, very minor probs maybe, but I have never had a fake, because I was careful and researched them beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLbyaNbhHdU&feature=player_embedded

I've bought well over 50 guitars online, the vast majority of them from overseas, if you are careful and know your product, things should be fine, I've never had a problem yet, ok, one or two very, very minor probs maybe, but I have never had a fake, because I was careful and researched them beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLbyaNbhHdU&feature=player_embedded

Like I said , ' lesson learnt'.

I'm much more careful these days and Gillian makes doubly sure everything is on the level.

She's brilliant mate! I scored big time with her. [thumbup]

I won't be getting that many guitars though. Nowhere to store 'em dude.

I'd love to have one hand made by Rees Custom Guitars, to my exact specs. A cross between a LP, SG, Thru neck, solid, and with top electrics. That's somewhere in the near future I hope.

Something similar to the Yamaha SG 2000 with a Stetsbar.

We'll see. :rolleyes:

Paul [cool]

Like I said , ' lesson learnt'.

I'm much more careful these days and Gillian makes doubly sure everything is on the level.

She's brilliant mate! I scored big time with her. [thumbup]

I won't be getting that many guitars though. Nowhere to store 'em dude.

I'd love to have one hand made by Rees Custom Guitars, to my exact specs. A cross between a LP, SG, Thru neck, solid, and with top electrics. That's somewhere in the near future I hope.

Something similar to the Yamaha SG 2000 with a Stetsbar.

We'll see. :rolleyes:

Since i did this thread I've added a few guitars and a large bass combo amp, there's always room for another guitar.

My Joint

Paul [cool]

OHH MYYY GODDDD!!!

I think Gillian would kill me if I did that to her castle.

She'd be pissed 'cause there'd be no room for all her gadgets as well. :lol: LOL!!

The house is 36 sq and yet............. [rolleyes][biggrin]

Paul

I honestly have to walk sideways to pass through the joint, not even any room to play standing.

They're both amazing guitars to look at!

I mostly play heavier stuff, Rock and Metal both modern and 80's.

they arn't the most metal looking guitars but who cares about them,

I have a soft spot for les pauls in general.

I can't find any reviews of the blackback on youtube, do you

guys have an experience with either or both guitars?

Cheers guys.

I started with a Pro/FX last May. Had it for 2 months, but the Floyd had a cross-threaded screw on it, so I sent it back for a Prophecy GX. I always whined about missing it, so the wife just got me another Pro/FX for Christmas! They are both great guitars. I have a Gibson LP I rarely play now because the Epi's are so much more fun and distinctly different tones.

Here is the first one;

100_0528.jpg

Then I got the Prophecy;

100_0673.jpg

Now my new Pro;

101_0061.jpg

The Epi's are both keepers and will go to the grave with me! [laugh]

Archived