Gibson Brands Forums

I have watched/listened to quite a few of you guitarists on Soundclick. Always sounds very good.

How do you get the best results adding your tracks?

I recorded a few tracks on my Zoom H2 stereo recorder in max quality 96/24 and would like to try and keep the maximum quality on Soundclick if I could. How do I get the tracks from the Zoom to the Soundclick?

Well I guess I am asking for as many tips as I can get!

BluesKing777.

I have watched/listened to quite a few of you guitarists on Soundclick. Always sounds very good.

How do you get the best results adding your tracks?

I recorded a few tracks on my Zoom H2 stereo recorder in max quality 96/24 and would like to try and keep the maximum quality on Soundclick if I could. How do I get the tracks from the Zoom to the Soundclick?

Well I guess I am asking for as many tips as I can get!

BluesKing777.

With a free account, the maximum quality sound files you can upload are 128kpbs. Whereas with a VIP account you can upload using 320kpbs sound quality. There is also a file size limit for individual songs; for standard accounts it is 10MB per song and for VIP accounts it is 40MB. There are other benefits to VIP membership but they are mostly in page design and statistic tracking. I had a VIP account for a while, but I'm not a pro musician so 128K MP3 uploads are just fine for me.

I recorded a few tracks on my Zoom H2 stereo recorder in max quality 96/24 and would like to try and keep the maximum quality on Soundclick BluesKing777.

24 bit is preferred for recording as it reduces the noise floor, i.e. more bits than 16 so is a greater scale if that makes sense. So you are OK there for your recordings. Personally I use 44.1 as it saves a bit on disk and I am not sure you can hear that much difference anyway. Remember CDs are 44.1 anyway

You would normally mix down / render to a 16 bit file any way, say MP3 / WAV / AIFF or whatever and at 44.1. This would be the most compatible and is where you want to be at. There is a process called dithering which is about reducing the bit depth from 24 to 16 which is important here as well, but programs like cubase / logic do this for you (unless you have unchecked a box you should not have). This happens as part of the mix down / render process.

Soundcloud will also reduce the bit rate to say 128kbps after upload as part of of their conversion process. So if you create an MP3 at 256kbps then this is greater and a direct multiplier of 128 so in theory conversion should be cleaner than some other multiplier. I think soundclick is the same as well, a quick look at their FAQs will help you here.

So the message is regardless of what’s uploaded at probably gets converted to their standard anyway. So from a bitrate perspective you have no control really. This is true for soundcloud, would need to chekc for soundclick.

Update on soundclick - If you have a VIP account you can upload your mp3 songs in a higher bitrate. The download we sell will then actually have the higher bitrate.

Standard accounts are limited to the 128kbps bitrate.

I meant to add as well --- this thread of mine was mixed to 320kbps 44.1 MP3 from 44.1 24 bit then uploaded and is at 128kbps

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/78242-if-you-can-please-listen-to-this-and-comment/

Do you think the problem could lie with your recordings / mixing and not soundclock / sound cloud ???

Madman Greg

sorry not sure I understand your comment

Madman Greg

I was kidding - after reading your earlier reply (which is PERFECTLY GREAT, Thanks), I had the stupids and was probably delirious from too much computing. I thought the guitar players that are non-tech (you know the ones that have to get their kids to log in to the forum for them!) would have read the instructions and thought: 'Huh?'.

I have a older stand-alone iMac (no internet) in my music room that I am running the tracks from the Zoom H2 on to. On this I have some old Cubase where I chop the beginning clunk and the end clunk off, add dash of reverb and compression and run to cd. Fairly time intensive and a long way to go yet! I work on computers all day, and now I am spending the night on another....

Thanks for your help, and Drathbun too!

BluesKing777.

Thanks guys - I have joined Soundclick and downloaded my first track.

I loaded one as 320kbps 44.1 MP3 as suggested by Madman Greg, thanks. (Should we listen to someone called this? Ma?).

Soundclick has taken the opportunity to have a quick look at my file and say it should be ready to play in approx 24 hours.

It is a lot of work, eh? I use to have a friend who did all this for me, but unfortunately he didn't make it through the Big C (stomach C) a number of years ago. He was an amateur sound engineer and always happy for a guinea pig - ME. He could talk about bitrates and reverb tails and the best input somethings until, you know.

Anyway I am delirious. I should have done the tune again without the mistakes. Recording took seconds on my Zoom H2, processing is still going.

thanks again,

BluesKing777.

Thanks guys - I have joined Soundclick and downloaded my first track.

I loaded one as 320kbps 44.1 MP3 as suggested by Madman Greg, thanks. (Should we listen to someone called this? Ma?).

Soundclick has taken the opportunity to have a quick look at my file and say it should be ready to play in approx 24 hours.

It is a lot of work, eh? I use to have a friend who did all this for me, but unfortunately he didn't make it through the Big C (stomach C) a number of years ago. He was an amateur sound engineer and always happy for a guinea pig - ME. He could talk about bitrates and reverb tails and the best input somethings until, you know.

Anyway I am delirious. I should have done the tune again without the mistakes. Recording took seconds on my Zoom H2, processing is still going.

thanks again,

BluesKing777.

Remember BK, that you can update the MP3 file after uploading the original at any time. Just select Edit Song and choose Upload New Version and then point to your new file. I tend to rename my remixes or re-records as "song1" or "song2" etc. so I keep all previous versions of the MP3 file. Updating the MP3 file on SoundClick will allow you to keep all the information about the song so you don't have to retype everything.

soundclickscreen1.png