Gibson Brands Forums

differences between dc and special?

Stevie Nazarenie

First, I don't have both. I do have a Epi LP Special SC. The DC in the vid is seems to be wired out-of-phase. So I wouldn't expect that 2 pickup tone from a stock one. The Orville SC has the 2 pickup sound I expect from stock. Also, the DC in the vid has the neck pickup right against the fretboard and thus under the harmonic (where a 24th fret would be). I don't think that's what you will typically find in a DC. They're usually farther back like an SG because of the nature of the neck joint. Thus, if the DC in the vid was wired stock, I think it would sound similar to the Orville.

So in a more typical scenerio, I would expect a DC Special to sound more like a P-90 SG and a LP Special SC to sound more like a Les Paul w/o the maple top.

No disrepect, SpruceTop, but the two guitars in the example, with the same pickups and wiring, will sound virtually identical when played through the same amp by the same player. They are both thick mahogany slabs (both are in fact "Specials") with the same scale length, bridge/tailpiece and pickup configuration, the only significant difference is the upper cutaway, which has only a minimal impact on the tone. SG's are substantially thinner, which accounts for their brighter tone. The slight difference in pickup position from right against the end of the fretboard to 1/2" or so lower has very little impact.

No disrepect, SpruceTop, but the two guitars in the example, with the same pickups and wiring, will sound virtually identical when played through the same amp by the same player. They are both thick mahogany slabs (both are in fact "Specials") with the same scale length, bridge/tailpiece and pickup configuration, the only significant difference is the upper cutaway, which has only a minimal impact on the tone. SG's are substantially thinner, which accounts for their brighter tone. The slight difference in pickup position from right against the end of the fretboard to 1/2" or so lower has very little impact.

No disrespect taken but I said ..."Thus, if the DC in the vid was wired stock, I think it would sound similar to the Orville".

Pickup position does matter, even a little. Try taking a 4 conductor humbucker and coil cut the front coil then try cutting the back coil. Make a recording. There is a difference. Try a PRS 24 versus 22 - neck pickup to neck pick up, both pickups on to both.

The P-90 SG I had was a Classic. It had a bigger body then some like my Elitist SG.

Back to the original question - also the SC would have a stronger neck joint.

Archived