Gibson Brands Forums

Protecting a Hummingbird Pickguard

GotTheSilver

Earlier this year, my brother bought a Hummingbird from the 2008 limited edition run of 167. It is a really great guitar and was in absolutely unplayed condition. When he got it, I asked if he was worried about the paint wearing off of the pickguard. He said he was not worried about it because he bought this guitar to play, not to look at. So he is ok if the paint wears off.

Now here is where the issue comes in. Recently, my brother moved to New York City and did not want to take the bird with him, so it is now in my care. I have been really enjoying playing it lately, and the paint has started to wear off the pickguard. I have a habit of touching the pickguard with my pinky when I play. Now, if it were my guitar, this would not bother me. But I feel kind of bad about putting this wear on my brother's really nice guitar. I would like to give it back to him in as close to the condition as he gave it to me.

So are there any totally reversible ways to protect the paint on the guard? I was reading in another recent thread about spraying the guard of an SJ-200 with lacquer to protect it. I don't want to do anything like this on this guitar. Is there anything I can lay over the guard that will protect the paint, but be completely removable later with no damage to the guard? I imagine this is a long shot, but thought I would ask. As I said, I feel bad putting the wear on my brother's guitar.

Thanks,

John

Why not tape on a piece of paper in the right thickness/colour and place the tape where there's no paint.

F.x. behind the bird-wings, between the bird and the trompet-flower and maybe a third place.

A little clumsy on the aesthetic side, but danger gone.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot :)

here is a link for installing clear pick guard material onto a guitar. It is completely reversible and almost invisible if applied correctly.

why anyone would want to protect their guitar is beyond me though..:P:):)

( joke !!!!!! )

you could cut a small piece and cover area you would like to protect maybe. An idea anyway.

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickguards/ClearGuard/clearguard1.html

* Edit * Never mind about the Taylor reusable pickguard -- it looks like they don't recommend using it on their older nitro-finished guitars so I wouldn't mess with it on the Gibson. That said there may be some kind of product out there along the same lines. Have you thought about contacting Gibson directly?

I definitely wouldn't do any kind of spraying or adhering anything permanent. Worst case scenario is you try to adjust your playing style not to put wear on the guitar but still enjoy it and play it like your brother would if it were with him in the Big Apple.

You might think about saving your nickels and dimes and just buying it off him at some point if you love the guitar. :)

Quick fix would be some blue painters tape laid on the spot where your pinkie rests.......it's low-tack tape and would not endanger the guard in anyway. A bit unsightly, agreed, but it's a temporary thing for short term protection. There might be some clear, low-tack adhesive film by 3M or the like that would do the same job transparently. Go to 3M's website and poke around for such a product.

Quick fix would be some blue painters tape laid on the spot where your pinkie rests.......it's low-tack tape and would not endanger the guard in anyway.

The painters tape is a really good idea. I had not thought of that. Anything I thought of adhesive-wise concerned me because of potential reaction with the plastic or maybe pulling off the paint when the tape comes off. But I don't think these will be issues with the painters tape.

I may also try getting a piece of felt and taping it onto the pickguard the way E-minor7 suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Stores/rec/7684/

GotheSilver - There is a better solution. Guitar Bra. I had the same question and a member here a few years ago pointed me to this.

You get it in sheets and cut it out to cover the whole pickguard. It is thick, flexible, clear plastic that 'sticks' to your guard without any chemicals, glue, tape, etc. Use it on my H'bird and SJ200 pguards. G'luck

http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Stores/rec/7684/

GotheSilver - There is a better solution. Guitar Bra. I had the same question and a member here a few years ago pointed me to this.

You get it in sheets and cut it out to cover the whole pickguard. It is thick, flexible, clear plastic that 'sticks' to your guard without any chemicals, glue, tape, etc. Use it on my H'bird and SJ200 pguards. G'luck

These sound great! Since I will only be putting it on the pickguard, and not the nitro finish, I don't think there would be any problem. And no glue is good, too. I found a post on another forum where someone said he uses the static cling iPhone screen protection sheets. Sounds like the same idea. Thanks!

Archived