Gibson Brands Forums

thinking of buying a EL00,need advice

jwmtele

My EL-00 Pro arrived 45 minutes ago.

It looks pretty good . They shipped it in it's Epi triangle box that had bubble wrap around the head stock and over the body and the box had a cardboard think to hold the neck and the guitar was in a white foam bag . This was then placed in a larger box with rolled up brown paper around the EPI box and on top and bottom all taped closed.

The guitar does not have a mark on it and even with the strings a bit slack ( not sure how far it's off haven't checked yet) it has no fret buzz and a slight bit of neck relief. The action looks nice and low. Fret look well seated and no sharp edges past the finger board and polished well and a nice rosewood neck and bridge.

They include a truss rod wrench in a plastic type bag and instructions for the electronics and adjustments.

It really looks nice and sounds great even way out of tune. I'm letting it settle a bit before I tune it to pitch.

Mine was made in Indonesia not China like MF said . I thought it would be.

I am happy.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine, and another poster somewhere on here said it was the same, is doggone decent although the tone control seems not to have as much as expected effect.

It looks like another example of a doggone exceptional value for an Epi.

I got mine literally off the truck. I had a late afternoon after a required meeting in "the city" a cupla months ago. I'd called the music store there and asked if they had one of these and ... mirable dictu, the truck had just finished unloading.

So... while the guys were messing with unpacking others and cataloging them into inventory, I got one to open in the box, ran into their "here's an amp, try it out" room and was quite happy with the sound. I frankly prefer the controls on other rigs that offer a phase switch and a bit better control on "tone." But it works quite well regardless.

As Catnine noted, it was well packed. Weather hadn't caused any problems whatsoever in transit that I could tell - but I now have just a tad bit of fret sprout up the neck on a couple-three frets after it's been in my nicely low humidity house in late summer. I guarantee that was not the case a cupla months earlier off the truck.

Cougar...

Yeah, the somewhat different shape compared to my PR5e with the long scale makes me wonder a bit... the very different feel seems more due to the shape of the instruments more than the scale. I find that interesting and I'm really thinking about how that affects the overall player-instrument geometry.

But for the money... yeah, it's IMHO an exceptional value even if the AE stuff went kaput and I had a purely acoustic.

m

My EL-00 Pro arrived 45 minutes ago.

It looks pretty good . They shipped it in it's Epi triangle box that had bubble wrap around the head stock and over the body and the box had a cardboard think to hold the neck and the guitar was in a white foam bag . This was then placed in a larger box with rolled up brown paper around the EPI box and on top and bottom all taped closed.

The guitar does not have a mark on it and even with the strings a bit slack ( not sure how far it's off haven't checked yet) it has no fret buzz and a slight bit of neck relief. The action looks nice and low. Fret look well seated and no sharp edges past the finger board and polished well and a nice rosewood neck and bridge.

They include a truss rod wrench in a plastic type bag and instructions for the electronics and adjustments.

It really looks nice and sounds great even way out of tune. I'm letting it settle a bit before I tune it to pitch.

Mine was made in Indonesia not China like MF said . I thought it would be.

I am happy.

Congratulations. Enjoy playing it! As you know, I find my EL-00 Pro to be an awesome guitar and worthy to highly recommend!

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Pardon me if it's improper to discuss other brands on this board, but...

The only reason I haven't picked up one of these is because I have a Recording King Dirty 30's Single O (RPH-05) that fills my old blues box needs wonderfully well. Anyone here own one? There's no electronics, but dangit...it's a GREAT looking, feeling and sounding guitar. Bone nut and saddle come standard and it's a solid top, too.

$199 and they sell 'em at most GC outlets.

If its the guitar I'm thinking it is (I've played a Recording King similar small bodied guitar, the one I played had a natural finish, and the person who let me play his said his sold for $199)...that was from my experience equivalent to the EL-00. I even questioned at the time if it was made in the same overseas factory it had so much similarity in terms of feel, sound, etc.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Jeff,

That was probably the RP-06. The Dirty 30's are all vintage sunburst. Not just any vintage sunburst. These look, sound and feel very old right out of the box. They are great re-creations of the old time mail order guitars that people like Robert Johnson used.

The RP-06 guitars are better made and cost more ($299) and only come in natural finish.

The Dirty 30's have a solid spruce top, laminate poplar (white wood) back and sides and a nato neck with rosewood fretboard (bridge is also rosewood). As stated before, they have bone nut and saddle (compensated). These are long scale at 25.4" and have a 1.69" nut width. The finish is satin, which certainly helps with the guitar's decidedly vintage vibe. They are made in China.

Those old mail order guitars (from department store catalogs) weren't made of good materials either. These Dirty 30's are far FAR better made, but they look the part and sound incredible.

The Dirty 30's are available in 3 sizes...O, OOO and Dreadnought. Each is only $199. I'll be getting the Dread in another month or so. It won't compete with my Texan, but it's not meant to.

http://recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/rph-05

http://recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/roh-05

http://recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/rdh-05

Sorry for what surely sounds like a sales pitch. I am not a salesman. I just love these guitars and can go on about 'em like I do about the IB64 Texan.

I believe that Recording King products aren't made in a shared factory.

Didn't Epiphone move its manufacturing to Indonesia?

I know the EL-00 is made in Indonesia.

Whatever...I've only heard good things about the Recording Kings from you and others, and my trying one that someone let me play substantiates the claim to me.

Plus, its apparent that the overseas made instruments have reached a significantly higher quality level than from prior eras.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

I looked at the Recording King Dirty Thirty and saw video's and they sounded nice and are at a great price . I also looked at the parlor size that Fender offers and it seemed fine but had a ply top but not a bad sound and the parlor sized Recording king was a 12th fret at the body. Since I already have a Seagull S series grand that has a 14th fret at the body I wanted something different. I like the 14th fret at the body better since I like to use more of the neck.

I don't really care about having the electronics on the EL00 . I got it because I liked the look and the sound I heard on videos I've seen. Plus I've been looking for one for a long time and saving pennies to get one and MF gave me a great price without tax I got the guitar and EL 00 pro hard shell case and the case actually cost me $22 this was only if I bough the two together. The case is on back order should be in sep 30th. It was $351 total with CA sales tax which is quite high. Free shipping .

I would prefer not to have the electronics but that's all they make now plus side the nut is wider than the older none electronic model.

The box it came in was odd like a small offset triangle. Like a L shape and the other side angles back to the peg head end and the top area wide enough to fit the peg head. I have to use it to protect the guitar until the case arrives.

I was under the impression that all are now MII with the exception of the very pricey Elitist models which are MIJ.

If that's not correct, what models are currently MIC and/or MIK?

various models are made in both of Gibson's factories in China. Most acoustics are made in Indonesia at the Samick factory along with other archtops and solid bodies. Les Pauls and SGs are made in both Indo and China. Archtops are made in Korea, China, and Indo. As you mentioned Elitists are MIJ. Majority of low end models are MIC.

I not certain what EPI considers imitation bone saddle . Mine looks like it's plastic. It certainly is not tusq . It sounds fine with what ever it has but I imagine could be improved with better saddle material. Does imitation bone mean plastic that looks like white bone? Epi does not really define things well. . I've noticed on mine and other photo's the bridge where it ramps up at each end right before it levels off where the saddle sits that they didn't really keep the bridge ramp up or concave or wings at a 90 degrees to the front and back of the saddle where the saddle is glued to the top . Small issue , can't expect perfection in all areas for the price.

I called Gibson today and asked by the serial number and was told it was made in 2012 . They said imitation bone saddle is something close to bone but could be a hard plastic.

Since the battery which is already installed at the factory is already two years old , I think I will see if it still works and then maybe remove in so it doesn't leak , you never know.

I would prefer not to have the electronics but that's all they make now plus side the nut is wider than the older none electronic model.

I compared the sound of using one of my Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickups to the factory pickup on the EL-OO and prefer the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickup on it. I too obtained the instrument for it being acoustic, but find with the removeable Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker I've played some gigs with it. I'm leaving the factory pickup in, though, in case I ever need a pickup on the fly...plus, there's no point in removing it rather than leaving it in as a backup if I use the Epi for a gig and my Rare Earth battery dies or if I don't have it with the guitar. With the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickup the EL-00 mic'd sounds as good as any of my other guitars thru it. The factory piezo, like many other piezos has that quackier sound which doesn't mesh with my fingerpicking style. Plus, I often like to change the percussion of the guitar by resting my right hand at times on the saddle and my pressing down on the saddle with my rested hand also at times separately impacts the piezo underneath (which I prefer to not have to keep considering that when playing through it.)

Also, agree with you, the EL-00 Pro's wider nut than the former non-Pro version is a big plus over the prior version (although the prior non-Pro version is also pretty good.)

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

various models are made in both of Gibson's factories in China.

Isn't Qingdao an Epiphone factory? [smile]

Most acoustics are made in Indonesia at the Samick factory along with other archtops and solid bodies.

Interesting. That's now, I take it. I thought at least the 2004-2010 Masterbilt line came out of Qingdao....

Isn't Qingdao an Epiphone factory? [smile]

yes, and Epiphone is owned by Gibson. it's known as Gibson Qingdao.

Interesting. That's now, I take it. I thought at least the 2004-2010 Masterbilt line came out of Qingdao....

Qingdao made acoustics for a little while. not sure it was a six year period. I was speaking of now. I though we were speaking present tense [smile]

Qingdao made acoustics for a little while. not sure it was a six year period. I was speaking of now. I though we were speaking present tense [smile]

I dunno about everyone else, but I certainly was.

So...a few electrics still made elsewhere, but all acoustics now are made in Indonesia with the exception of any Elitist models.

I dunno about everyone else, but I certainly was.

So...a few electrics still made elsewhere, but all acoustics now are made in Indonesia with the exception of any Elitist models.

they still make some in China. Mostly lower end. but not ALL are made in Indonesia. the Indo models are of better quality (currently) in my opinion.

Archived