Gibson Brands Forums

Concern with pick

Santanu

This might sound funny to most of you, but I've purchased new picks after a several years.. might be 4 or 5 years. Before that I have only one pick which I got with my first guitar - it was an acoustic. Yesterday I've purchased several colorful picks from the local market and now I have certain questions with them..

1. The new picks are mostly .46mm (as it's written). My old only pick was of .72mm Jim Dunlop one. What is the difference between these mm(s) as I didn't found any size differences between .46 or .72! Or the difference between these 2 sizes can't be measure in open eyes except scales (?)

2. Immediately after playing with a new .46mm pick I amazed! It was giving me a very well grip over picking! It felt good! But after a several minutes of play I starts feeling a very rough friction with the string and pick while picking. It was after sometime feeling me I'm trying to tear off the strings with that pick. It was feeling very rough indeed. So my question is - a. Is this usual behavior with the use of new pick (?), or, b. It could damage my guitar's strings (?) This friction I can't remember anymore with my past .72mm pick.

Would be great if hear your opinions or advises or suggestion.

Thank you.

:) Cheers.

Maybe I'm just being suspicious, but this thread feEls somewhat like a yank to the old crank ... but I'll play it straight:

A .46mm pick is VERY thin ... I mean, we're talking PLAYING CARD thin! It's entirely possible that you've just worn through that pick during your time playing with it. This is quite possible if you were playing with the same "vigor" that you used with your old .72.

I wouldn't imagine that a thin pick like this would damage your strings ... but, I have to ask the question: seeing as how you've hung on to a single pick for "4 or 5 years" ... HOW FLIPPIN' OLD ARE YOUR STRINGS??? [confused]

Jim

Maybe I'm just being suspicious, but this thread feEls somewhat like a yank to the old crank ... but I'll play it straight:

A .46mm pick is VERY thin ... I mean, we're talking PLAYING CARD thin! It's entirely possible that you've just worn through that pick during your time playing with it. This is quite possible if you were playing with the same "vigor" that you used with your old .72.

I wouldn't imagine that a thin pick like this would damage your strings ... but, I have to ask the question: seeing as how you've hung on to a single pick for "4 or 5 years" ... HOW FLIPPIN' OLD ARE YOUR STRINGS??? [confused]

Jim

ha ha ha, thank you Jim, well these strings are new with my very recent EpiLP. I've purchased this raw beast on late September this year. Previously I had an local made acoustic guitar which I had for 4-5 years.

So do you think this behavior of friction could vanish after a time (?) thanks!

Plastic picks won't hurt strings. The thicker the strings, the thicker the pick you need.

I use 9 gauge strings and Dunlop .88's, which are ideal. They have a beveled edge to give bite, and raised lettering to make a good grip for your fingers (you do not want picks flying out of your hands at gigs).

Plastic picks won't hurt strings. The thicker the strings, the thicker the pick you need.

I don't agree with this.

I know players who use larger gauge strings than I do, who also use thinner picks than I do. And I have known players with smaller gauge strings that use very thick picks.

It has to do with your personal preference, what style music you are playing and many factors.

String gauge is only one of many factors to consider.

I don't agree with this.

I know players who use larger gauge strings than I do, who also use thinner picks than I do. And I have known players with smaller gauge strings that use very thick picks.

It has to do with your personal preference, what style music you are playing and many factors.

String gauge is only one of many factors to consider.

Agree. I use a .96 or so Dunlop Gator Grip for most playing, but for acoustic with a lot of chords, I like to use something a lot thinner cause it at least feels (if not sounds) a lot more natural.

And I use 10s on all my guitars.

The onoly damage a pick can do to a string is break it. And more than likely that is due to a burr on you nut or saddle, unless you are bending your strings into next week. I break a lot of strings due to bending them.

I play D'Addario 10s on most of my electrics and use Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 mm picks. On my acoustic I use Martin Marquis Mediums (13s) and use Dunlop Tortex .60 mm picks. There really is no set rule as to what pick to use with what string. I am gonna put Martin Marquis lights (12s) on a new electric hollowbody I am getting for Christmas and will more than likely use the Tortex .60 mm picks. It's all personal preference.

Thanks for all your discussion and replies guys! Mine is Epi LP Standard, though I don't know how thicker the strings are, but .72mm gives me a very matured sound where .46 gives me a good picking pleasure. Maybe due to a lot of usage now the .72 gets a bit slippery over the edges, maybe I need to see once more with a new .72 pick how it would works for me... but thanks for all these inputs guys - they're lot to me :)

I lose more picks than I ever wear out. There probably isn't a table in any room in my apartment that doesn't have a pick or two lying on, or under, it. I generally use green tortex, 0.88, sometimes lighter picks with my Ultra II.

By the way...you mentioned that your strings were new with your recent Epi. Did you mean that they were new strings you put on or the strings that came on the guitar? If it's the latter, you might think of changing them for new strings asap. The strings that ship on a new guitar are pretty bad and aren't going to get you the best sound out of your new guitar.

I find anything under .73mm is too flimsy to be of any use and for strumming acoustic-forget about it-all you can hear is the pick flicking.For over 30 years I've used Dunlop .73 mm nylon picks and D'Addario 8-38 strings.

Just pick up a couple of different picks each time you go to the guitar shop, eventually you'll build up a few and be able to pick and choose which one to use if you have an off day. Keep them in a case and you'll never lose them, or better yet organize them so you can choose which one you'd like to use.... like I have to do again now that I put mine all over my desk. [rolleyes]

snapshot.png

By the way...you mentioned that your strings were new with your recent Epi. Did you mean that they were new strings you put on or the strings that came on the guitar? If it's the latter, you might think of changing them for new strings asap. The strings that ship on a new guitar are pretty bad and aren't going to get you the best sound out of your new guitar.

I think I'm agree with you. Yes, it is came with the new guitar purchase, and beside it sounds good to me but the strings are doesn't seem very new! Can you suppose me which brand or string I should use best for Epiphone Les Paul Standard (?) maybe some web link where I can buy from (?) I also doesn't have much idea about the sizes.

Just pick up a couple of different picks each time you go to the guitar shop, eventually you'll build up a few and be able to pick and choose which one to use if you have an off day. Keep them in a case and you'll never lose them, or better yet organize them so you can choose which one you'd like to use.... like I have to do again now that I put mine all over my desk. [rolleyes]

Agreed.

If I want to change my LP Standard guitar strings, what should be best (?) Is there any web links perhaps (?) where I can buy from!

They come standard with 10 - 46 gauge strings, I use Ernie Ball Slinkys, they're pretty popular, but everyone has their own preference, you should be able to find them on eBay for about $4 - $5 per set.

They come standard with 10 - 46 gauge strings, I use Ernie Ball Slinkys, they're pretty popular, but everyone has their own preference, you should be able to find them on eBay for about $4 - $5 per set.

Doesn't Gibson or Epiphone ships strings separately (?) I haven't seen such link anywhere!

EDIT: I've placed an order with Amazone for the same. Thanks RaSTuS!

Gibson market there own brand of strings, they can be bought at most guitar shops and online shop-fronts.

Gibson Strings at MF

Ernie Ball Strings at MF

mm... I wasn't sure, but I've purchased Ernie Ball 2221 Nickel Regular Slinky 10-46 - is that what you meant in your past post? though I've seen many other flavors other than 'regular' - hope this is good for LP (?)

mm... I wasn't sure, but I've purchased Ernie Ball 2221 Nickel Regular Slinky 10-46 - is that what you meant in your past post? though I've seen many other flavors other than 'regular' - hope this is good for LP (?)

Yes, that's the one's I use, they are very consistent and good quality, they are perfect for an LP, it is the same gauge (diameter) that comes on the LPs from the factory.

Archived