Gibson Brands Forums

A song on my new J45

Tman

Well I'm pretty jazzed about learning the tune but I don't know much about creating a file type you can fiddle with after the fact. Maybe I can do it with Garageband on the Mac......never fiddled with the program though. I'll see what is possible here..........

With Garage band you can save whatever you've done as an mp3 or (I believe) a wav file as well. Pretty cool program with some pretty cool guitar sounds. It would be a lot of fun!

Let me know next time you're up..... maybe we can get together!

Would love it. I'll be up in Jan. I want to see that Dove first hand! [thumbup]

.....my wife said from the other room: "sounds like you're straining too much"

Easy to do. Singing in your throat can sound strained and do some harm to the vocal cords. The trick to singing with power and without stress is to push up from the diaphram.....easier said than done. Tighten your abdominal muscles when you sing. This forces the air to be pushed up from the bottom with some power. With the abdominal muscles engaged you gain a lot of control of air flow. If you do it enough, it becomes second nature and you don't have to think "tighten the gut" when you sing.....it just becomes part of the process. To do this well, you have to learn how to breath properly: inhale through both the mouth and the nose. This allows you to draw a lot of air quickly, and this too will become natural with practise.

You can easily demonstrate this to yourself: sing out a single note of your choice while you tighten and relax your abdominals. You'll notice when your gut is tight the note will become more powerful and you'll definitely feel you have more control over the tone coming out of your mouth. Try it.

practise.

You can easily demonstrate this to yourself: sing out a single note of your choice while you tighten and relax your abdominals. You'll notice when your gut is tight the note will become more powerful and you'll definitely feel you have more control over the tone coming out of your mouth. Try it.

Is there a trick to making your voice hit the right note?

Really, now where's the app for that??[lol]

Me, I just to hope I achieve Joyful Noise ever' once in a while...

(What's that old pun, "If you had the right key, you wouldn't have to break in to song...")

Really, now where's the app for that??[lol]

Me, I just to hope I achieve Joyful Noise ever' once in a while...

(What's that old pun, "If you had the right key, you wouldn't have to break in to song...")

Anne, I've heard you many times....you do just fine!

I heard Krassi use a "harmonizer" and I asked him about it....he told me what he used, so I bought myself one...... and then I noticed that TC-Helicon also makes a "Tone Bender"...which corrects your tone should you come in flat or sharp.....

I'm hoping Santa will realize how badly I need something like that!

Easy to do. Singing in your throat can sound strained and do some harm to the vocal cords. The trick to singing with power and without stress is to push up from the diaphram.....easier said than done. Tighten your abdominal muscles when you sing. This forces the air to be pushed up from the bottom with some power. With the abdominal muscles engaged you gain a lot of control of air flow. If you do it enough, it becomes second nature and you don't have to think "tighten the gut" when you sing.....it just becomes part of the process. To do this well, you have to learn how to breath properly: inhale through both the mouth and the nose. This allows you to draw a lot of air quickly, and this too will become natural with practise.

Conceptually, I grasp it. Putting it into practice, difficult. Great explanation though Buc.

I always wondered if Paul's voice was hoarse after singing Oh Darling like John Lennon's was after his one take (with a cold) of Twist and Shout. I think those songs, even with proper use of abdominal musculature, would really hurt vocal chords, especially mine [crying]

Actually there is.....effective practise!

Stand (or sit) facing a reflective surface, getting your face as close as possible. I always stand facing the closet door in my home office. Lean into the surface as if you were leaning into a microphone....almost touch the surface with your nose.....get close! The hard surface reflects your voice right back at you, allowing you to hear exactly what you are singing, good or bad. Being able to hear yourself clearly is the secret to training your cord muscles to tighten and relax to the right pitch. I honestly believe anyone can learn to sing reasonably well. Not everybody is going to sing like McCartney, of course.....some folks are just born with a set of pipes! But I think anyone that's driven to do so can train their vocal cords, just like one learns to ride a bike. When you first picked up a guitar you couldn't do a thing with it, right? But through perserverance and practise you made progress. You can do the same with your voice. Put in the time and pay attention to what's working for you and what's not and you too can learn to sing!

(.....says the guy who can't sing worth a flip!)

Actually there is.....effective practise!

Stand (or sit) facing a reflective surface, getting your face as close as possible. I always stand facing the closet door in my home office. The hard surface reflects your voice right back at you, allowing you to hear exactly what you are singing, good or bad. Being able to hear yourself clearly is the secret to training your cord muscles to tighten and relax to the right pitch. I honestly believe anyone can learn to sing reasonably well. Not everybody is going to sing like McCartney, of course.....some folks are just born with a set of pipes! But I think anyone that's driven to do so can train their vocal cords, just like one learns to ride a bike. When you first picked up a guitar you couldn't do a thing with it, right? But through perserverance and practise you made progress. You can do the same with your voice. Put in the time and pay attention to what's working for you and what's not and you too can learn to sing!

(.....says the guy who can't sing worth a flip!)

I said it as a joke....but I like your suggestion!

My problem is that I HATE to hear my own voice....I think when I talk I sound like Andy Devine on steroids! When I sing, I sound like Andy Devine tryin' to sing on steroids!

Not that I sing that well, but I've found a headset helps me a lot. Great to monitor off the mixer and/or recorder...

Yep. Monitoring in this way works too. The thing is to hear clearly and exactly what your voice is doing. My practise is always just that - practise, prior to the performance. And most of my practising in the past has been for live performance with a band and not for being hooked into a recording setup with a headset. Either will do the trick though - hear your voice clearly and teach your vocal cord muscles how to act right!

Yep. Monitoring in this way works too. The thing is to hear clearly and exactly what your voice is doing. My practise is always just that - practise, prior to the performance. And most of my practising in the past has been for live performance with a band and not for being hooked into a recording setup with a headset. Either will do the trick though - hear your voice clearly and teach your vocal cord muscles how to act right!

Really great advice.

The only difference in my band's performance between criticism and praise was having monitors at the good gig, no monitors at the other.

Archived