Gibson Brands Forums

es 339 sticky neck

whoobla

So I just got back from rehearsal and this thing is very sweet. The controllable feedback,57 classics, the size, tuning is no longer an issue , the gtr is beautiful. The only thing I need help with is the ...sticky neck. It seems after a tune it gets sticky ?? I had this with the Epi les paul a few years back, and atele, so I shaved them. My Les Paul Standard does not do this, nor does the d 28, or the Taylor gs 7 ?? Even my Tokai does not do this. So I need help. Anyone Ideas. Not ready to shave the neck just yet ...but if I must I must. Would like to try other avenues first . Open to offers

W

I tried that before. It builds up . I did however run a fine steel wool over it. There is for sure a gucky finish that came of. And it did not ruin or change the look. We have a gig sat. More update to come and still open to other ideas. Thanks guys

That's the nature of a fresh coat of nitro my friend. As the finish cures, over time, it'll get better. In the mean time, just keep one of those yellow polishing cloths in close reach and give it a quick wipe down as needed.

However, the finish on the 339 seems to be a tad thicker than you would typically see on a Historic (at least to my feel). I buffed mine up by hand, with some fine polishing compound within the first two days I had it. It buffed up like glass.

I put mine straight to work and never really noticed it. I do have a J45 RW though and it's nitro. I read about it being an issue, but have been gigging a Tele for the last several years and it's not. For me.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Since woodworking is a hobby of mine, I have lots of stuff on the shelf for rubbing out a finish, and that's what I wound up doing. Whatever materials and methods you use, it involves removing just the slightest bit of material from the surface where the lacquer did not cure completely, getting down to harder stuff, and then polishing it back up to whatever shine you want. The theory is that nitrocellulose lacquer is mainly an "evaporative" finish, meaning that it hardens when the solvent evaporates from it - essentially it dries without much chemical reaction from the air (unlike varnish or paint which react with oxygen in the air and harden chemically). Lacquer will dry from the deepest layers first, and the top layer is the last to get hard - sometimes never. SO if you remove the gummy top layer hopefully you get down to the lower layer. That's why some crazy methods like brown kraft paper work so well - they clean off the gunk layer by acting as a gentle abrasive.

It wouldn't hurt to try cleaning it thoroughly with naptha (lighter fluid) which is basically the same solvent in paste wax. This will remove any wax or oil or dirt. I found that it did clean the neck but did not stop the stickiness as my hand heated things up while playing. Next I would proceed to the rubbing method of choice but be forewarned, unless you have a buffing wheel, you're not going to restore the gloss it had when it was new. And if you do have a buffing wheel, it's real easy to burn through the topcoat.

Here's my lament on the subject: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=4864

Archived