Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparrow !?! Sure, it's in the cards. I have a feeling the guitar sounds extraordinary good – the rose, the scale length, the bracing.

But why this pale face, , , and how come we see an excerpt from a children's colour-book on the guard. What were they thinking. . . .

Interesting idea, but what a goofy pickguard -- the image of the bird is WAY too big, and -- really?? -- a "Sparrow"?

I'd go for another bird, maybe an oriole or a tanager, chickadee, etc...

tanager-western_350.jpg

I wonder if they thought of "wren" and then discarded that one... [biggrin]

Fred

It looks like it could be quite astounding. I can understand the pick guard being a bit childish but I think that they might have been going for a bird that was just a tad less dainty. Don't get me wrong I think it certainly could have been better executed but I get the feeling this guitar was shooting for something simple and bold aesthetically compared to the delicate intricate pick guard on the H-bird. Then again that is a complete shot in the dark.

Other than the cosmetics, is the only difference between this and the Songwriter Deluxe Studio that the Sparrow has an Adi top? Otherwise, they both have the Songwriter body type, rosewood back and sides, 25.5" scale. I guess the bracing may be different, but with Gibson's ambiguous marketing speak, I am not sure about that.

And I agree, the pickguard looks cheesy. If not for that, this could be a real classic design.

Archived