Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

Does the pick guard remind anyone else of Neil Young's Zuma? That's a great record in an all-time stinker of a cover.

I remember getting Zuma for Christmas 35 years ago and how the cover disturbed me quite a deal. I was green and barely into naivism so this home made white'n'black drawing kinda went over my head. Later I learned to see the connection between certain frequencies of the album and the infantile lines on the front – that would be some of the lyrics, some of the melodies and even Neils electric guitar, which at the time rose up against the main trend of the era - a style we could call authorized brilliance. Neil did things in his own way like he always had and somehow the cover-sketch corresponded with that angle of courageous (anti)heroism.

When I look at the pick-guard, I see something else. A motive from a children's colour-book that in my eyes contradicts the possibilities of this - I presume - excellent instrument. The bird might fly, but no way as high as this guitar will do over time. Still, , , , and this is the important thing : If the owner hits the bell with this decoration, then it is and will continue to be the untouchable 'truth'.

--------------------Zuma2.jpg-------------------------- Zumareworked.jpg

---JUJust found this re-make of the original cover-art. Without a doubt I prefer the first. Guess Young does too - He re-hired the artist for his 2003 album Greendale.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics, Em7. I find that I have to dig too far with some of your replies to find 'the point' though.... :-k

At any rate, I took a second look at the MF sparrow pickguard and I must say, it IS laughable. The shape as well as the graphics. If this is the direction that Gibson wants to take in the future to sell guitars, they can count me out! That looks like something you would find on a FIRST ACT guitar at Walmart that I would buy for my 5 year old grandaughter.

Jes' Sayin'

Hi Guys. This is the infamous Jason Smith! [smile]

No worries or hard feelings about any of the comments. I truly appreciate people giving honest comments and opinions.

I would like to give you all my take on this and tell you more of the story about the Sparrow model.

I knew going into this project that some people would love it, and some would hate it. (of course I was hoping the ratio would favor love. lol!) I think some of you will come around. [thumbup] Anyway, I knew I was treading near some iconic traditional Gibson models and figured it could ruffle a few feathers so to speak...

This project wasn't rushed. It actually took two years from the time of conception to production. Really a lot of thought went into it and even 3 different prototype pickguards were created in the process. And believe me- getting it through all the red tape and getting Henry to sign off on a new model SKU isn't the easiest thing in the world to do... really a labor of love. Personally, I'm more than thrilled with the end result and hope some others like it, too.

Just so you guys know- I'm a guitar lover first, and a marketing director second. Seriously, I just took this job so I could pay my rent, feed my kids, and buy more guitars! Lol!! I also have previously worked building flat-top acoustics for a reputable maker, so I'm not the stereotypical corporate type that doesn't have a clue.

Anyway- I honestly think all of the bird model pickguards are an acquired taste. I hope this isn't sacrilege here, but I remember the first time I saw the Hummingbird as a kid and I thought the pickguard was cheesy and cheap looking. (There's only so much you can do with a basic line drawing ya know...) Of course now I'm older, it grew on me, and I totally love it. I hope some people either love (or will come to love) the Sparrow guard, too. Also, The Sparrow was created to be something new that added to Gibson's line. IMHO, A rosewood square shoulder jumbo is something that has it's place in their line. The Sparrow was intended to be it's own thing with it's own voice from the beginning, and not just some Hummingbird knock off.

Anyway- Love it or hate it. No hard feelings here.

And come on... Is it really THAT bad?

H75442002_sn-12151050_pick_guard_detail.jpg

Hi Guys. This is the infamous Jason Smith! [smile]

Anyway- Love it or hate it. No hard feelings here.

And come on... Is it really THAT bad?

Jason,

Sorry that some of us (me included) have taken it out on you a bit here. We tend to be traditionalists when it comes to our Gibsons, so adapting to something new and different takes some doin'.

I remember well when both the Hummingbird and the Dove came out, and being a bit appalled at what I thought was a unnecessary amount of "bling" in the pickguard design.

Our tastes change over time. Some of us will probably come around to this guitar in the long run, but I'll stick with the simple, plain "tortise" guards on most of my guitars: without engraving, either plain or fancy.

We do tend to scratch our heads at some of the Gibson marketing decisions, which seem to generate a new model--some variation on the old model--almost every week, often for no apparent practical reason. I guess it's all about figuring out what people will buy.

Sorry, but to my eye, it is that bad. And I love sailboats.

Infamous Jason Smith.

First of all – One of the fantastic things about the Board are situations as the one happening right now. Someone starts a thread-topic, a discussion breaks loose and then the central figure appears out of nowhere to give his own point of view just like that. How brave, how bold, how bright.

You have been in an privileged position with the opportunity to design a GIBSON, , , and have done your best over a 2 year period. It sure could be intriguing to see those other PG options.

However, the primary parameter is if you feel satisfied – did the result fulfill your vision and desire. If no, it was a big chance lost – if yes, you are invulnerable and ready to fly on forever.

Your presence and contribution above points towards the latter and congratulations on that.

Meanwhile -

Just let us bang away – no pellets can reach you now. . .

I totally understand and respect alot of the opinions here. I'm actually mostly traditional myself with my personal favorite Gibson being the plain old J-35 in vintage sunburst.

The reality is that Gibson's biggest competition is their own past. All of their best selling models are always the recreations of their classic models. What new Gibson acoustic model in the last 20-30 years has competed with any of their classic models? Maybe the Songwriter?

I think it's fun to try to come out with something new and try to find a niche in the market. I had no illusions that this guitar would outsell the Hummingbird or J-45. Having said that, I would put one of these up against anybody's favorite D-28. To me, these have the power and low-end of a great rosewood Martin dreadnaught with the complex top end of an AJ. (Now I'm starting to sound like a marketing guy. lol!) I am proud of this model and do think it would be the perfect guitar for certain players.

And if you don't like this model, please don't blame Gibson's marketing department. I take full responsibility for coming up with this one. They did almost everything like I requested with a couple minor differences. When I get to my home computer, I'll post a couple other pictures you might find interesting.

Best regards, Jason Smith

You are spot-on J45Nick. I love sailboats also. I love birds too. Thanks Jason,for the story. MAYBE, the sparrow will take-off with some. Given the political polarity of our 'once-great' nation, I am sure that at least 50% of the peeps will like it. I am an 'old school' traditionalist. To be honest, not even a big fan of the HBird and Dove Gibsons' pickguards. That being said,(I know it will fly in the face of other 'birdlovers' of the forum)....to each his(her) own and the almighty dollar will determine its fate.

I do like tattoos, but have seen better.

Curious how many they are making? I guess the pickguard is changeable though...

Good Luck with the project.

You know, the more I look at that guitar, the more I want to buy one. The specs of the guitar are great and would complement my TVSJ, and the sparrow is something you will never, ever, ever see from the likes of M & T, which is one of the really cool things about Gibson guitars. They pudry them up real nice.

When I get home, I'll post a picture of a sunburst.

The bracing is basically Advanced Jumbo bracing on a full-size, square shoulder body. Forward-shifted and scalloped. I just checked, and our site says Songwriter body, but it is actually the full-size square shoulder, which is bigger, just like the Hummingbird and Dove.

- Jason Smith

Jason, what pick-up system are they using in the Sparrow?

It seems like the tone would be pretty close to the Songwriter Studio Deluxe?

I'll have to double check about the pickup system to make sure I give accurate information. That is actually one of the things they changed. I wanted a true acoustic with no pickup system and a bone saddle, but others felt like having a pickup would have more appeal.

I'm pretty sure the Songwriter has a smaller, modified version of the square shoulder design. The Sparrow is a full-size square shoulder body.

- Jason Smith

Yabbut, the sparrow is, like, ginormous....

Hahaha! The artist friend that I had do the actual drawing suggested to maybe make the bird a little smaller. I felt it flowed with the lines/shape of the pickguard so perfectly that we should maximize the size of the bird. Maybe I should have trusted the artist. lol!

I like it, though! I'm a stubborn perfectionist, I guess. I think everybody will come to love the Sparrow!!

- Jason Smith

When I get home, I'll post a picture of a sunburst.

The bracing is basically Advanced Jumbo bracing on a full-size, square shoulder body. Forward-shifted and scalloped. I just checked, and our site says Songwriter body, but it is actually the full-size square shoulder, which is bigger, just like the Hummingbird and Dove.

- Jason Smith

Great - I'll stand by. The combo of woods, bracing and body-shape makes the Sparrow unique. I see the ambition -

Ha!

Jason turns up! See - it is too small a world to be nitty.

Anyway, while he is on the phone, when are we getting some guitars with slightly more (predatorial) tougher birds - eagle, hawk, vulture?

You know the mental picture cultivated as the tough guy (Clintish) piles out of the F100 with his Gibson Vulture (Sparrow?). All cosmetics I know, but...

BluesKing777.

Anyway, while he is on the phone, when are we getting some guitars with slightly more (predatorial) tougher birds - eagle, hawk, vulture?

You know the mental picture cultivated as the tough guy (Clintish) piles out of the F100 with his Gibson Vulture (Sparrow?). All cosmetics I know, but...

Yeah, , , bird on lightly – as long as we avoid the Gibson Ostrich in Australian oak with neck and head all up the fretboard and h-stock.

Archived