Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great - I'll stand by. The combo of woods, bracing and body-shape makes the Sparrow unique. I see the ambition -

It sounds like a J-60, revisited aesthetically.

That model also utilized the AJ bracing system and a rosewood, square-shouldered body. For a 'powerhouse' guitar, I would have opted for a different look than a sparrow. Maybe a sparrowhawk, also known as a Kestrel.

A sparrow to me is about as enticing as a Canada goose. [biggrin]

Fred

It sounds like a J-60, revisited aesthetically.

That model also utilized the AJ bracing system and a rosewood, square-shouldered body. For a 'powerhouse' guitar, I would have opted for a different look than a sparrow. Maybe a sparrowhawk, also known as a Kestrel.

Oh yes of course - forgot about that secret fortress, , , and didn't know it had old style bracing.

Jason, I like the guitar, (see my first post on this thread)....but here's the deal.... no one wants a 'high-end guitar" with a cartoon-type drawing....

Do you notice anything different between the following pics?

th_hummingbirdpickguard.jpg

th_Dovepickguard.jpg

th_Sparrowpickguard.jpg

I'd be honored to be able to design a new guitar model's pickguard....and I hate to think what I'd come up with ...but people who would pay this kind of money want a SERIOUS guitar!

(Also, I want to applaude you for being such a stand-up guy, to come here and take our abuse....sometimes knows as 'cracks from the peanut gallery').

I must be the only one who LIKES the PG. Too bad I don't have the cash. I actually like it a lot.

First reason...aside from what the actual pic is, the lines of the artwork seem to work well in complimenting the guitar, and I think makes the guitar look great as a whole. I like how the lines come off at a 90 degree of the strings and tie in the neck inlays, and then how the lines of the bird flow with the PG shape. I think the lines of the artwork make a great aesthetic that compliments the guitar as a whole and makes the whole guitar look good.

As for the pic itself, it actually puts me in a place. With the bird in the foreground, then the boat, then the clouds, if I look at it I actually get the "feel" of seeing a large open space as far as I can see. I can imagine the sparrow darting through the wind, And I can imagine the sailboat silently in the distance and the clouds hovering, or I can imagine the feeling of wind and the clouds moving and the boat speeding. To me, that is good art.

I can appreciate the "cartoon" point of view, and perhaps it would be really cool to have a PG with art that was not a cartoon. But from a traditionalist perspective, I would expect it to be a cartoon-like image like the HB and dove before it. I kind of equate that as a connection, and a Gibson thing. But I get the resistance, as I felt the original 'Bird and Dove were silly when I first saw them.

One last thing, about the guitar itself. DIG the fact you used an Adirondack top and rosewood for the fretboard. To me, that spec is the recipee of specs where it counts to make a great sounding guitar.

The only thing I don't get, is the connection of a sparrow to the ocean?

Depp happens to be a pretty good guitarist, you know, so he can't be all bad.

I have long lusted after that Black Pearl guitar!!

Once I sneak a mandolin into the house, I may start saving for a Monarch (J-250), or better yet.... a "tree of life"!

I have long lusted after that Black Pearl guitar!!

Once I sneak a mandolin into the house, I may start saving for a Monarch (J-250), or better yet.... a "tree of life"!

You do love your bling! Me? I'll be happy with a modest little Super 400.

The only thing I don't get, is the connection of a sparrow to the ocean?

A sparrow symbolizes freedom and loyalty. Long popular as a symbolic tattoo for sailors, for some it represents the ideal of being independent yet steadfast and dependable.

Sparrows can symbolize freedom, true love, loyalty, or all of the above. Very popular tattoo for sailors. For some, it symbolizes that they will return home. Sparrows are known to go long distances, but always return home. Sparrows also mate for life, so that is the loyalty tie in. Also, there is a tradition for some sailors to get a sparrow tattoo everytime they sail around the world or cross a sea.

Finally, the word ‘sparrow’ just sounds cool the way it rolls off your tongue. lol! Crosby, Stills, and Nash have used it in at least a couple lyrics of theirs... And Captain Jack is pretty cool, too!

- Jason Smith

I expected the next "bird" guitar from Gibson would be the Gibson "Hawk"... you know, to mirror the "Dove"? [unsure]

I'd think whatever "bird" Gibson develops, should have SOME relation to 'singing'...... a "Gibson Hawk" might be too predatory......

I can just see a "Gibson Southern Yellow-Billed Horenbill"

Stein,

Are you telling us you are one of the few people on the planet who hasn't seen any of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies?

Yea...liked them as well. And, I also understand Ren is a huge fan.

But I am unsure as I would not expect ALL "sparrows" to automatically be associated with the movie, and would not assume that is the reason, especailly knowing it wasn't Ren who designed it.

I don't know much about birds. Most of what I do know is because they are on guitars.

Why a sparrow?

A sparrow symbolizes freedom and loyalty. Long popular as a symbolic tattoo for sailors, for some it represents the ideal of being independent yet steadfast and dependable.

Sparrows can symbolize freedom, true love, loyalty, or all of the above. Very popular tattoo for sailors. For some, it symbolizes that they will return home. Sparrows are known to go long distances, but always return home. Sparrows also mate for life, so that is the loyalty tie in. Also, there is a tradition for some sailors to get a sparrow tattoo everytime they sail around the world or cross a sea.

Finally, the word ‘sparrow’ just sounds cool the way it rolls off your tongue. lol! Crosby, Stills, and Nash have used it in at least a couple lyrics of theirs... And Captain Jack is pretty cool, too!

- Jason Smith

See? I learded something.

It sure could be intriguing to see those other PG options.

Prototype Pickguards:

Here is one of the prototype pickguards. Close to the final version, but some differences with the sun, boat, and background water:

Sparrow_proto_guard_1.jpg

Here is another prototype pickguard with a totally different artistic take on the theme:

Sparrow_proto_guard_2.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

- Jason Smith

Prototype Pickguards:

Here is one of the prototype pickguards. Close to the final version, but some differences with the sun, boat, and background water:

Here is another prototype pickguard with a totally different artistic take on the theme:

- Jason Smith

in MHO.... too much 'water' and too much 'clouds'...but I like the color variation and the sparrow is not a cartoon depiction...so I like the sparrow much better.

Prototype Pickguards:

Sparrow_proto_guard_1.jpg

- Jason Smith

I like the second one except for the sparrow itself. The rendering of the sparrow seems to be a different style than the the rest. Cool though! I really like the purfling. What do they call that?

Archived