Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both of those ladies used to keep me up past the dawn....

I suppose that adds new meaning to the expression blonde on blonde. Good to know that you're in as fine fettle as your J45, Nick. Presumably looking better than Bob these days, then. Given that the refinish of the 45 is classic sunburst, I take it that she is neither Louise nor Johanna. Which of your guitars is which, then?

I suppose that adds new meaning to the expression blonde on blonde. Good to know that you're in as fine fettle as your J45, Nick. Presumably looking better than Bob these days, then. Given that the refinish of the 45 is classic sunburst, I take it that she is neither Louise nor Johanna. Which of your guitars is which, then?

Well, this girl has actually had multiple personalities, sort of like her long-time companion. She began life as your basic high-lighted brunette. In 1968 (thanks to Gibson), she went shocking redhead for about two years. [scared] I convinced her to become a blonde in 1970 (I was in my Martin-envy phase), and she stayed that way for 41 years. :mellow:

Last year, we had a little discussion, and decided that we both needed to go back to our roots. So she went back to being a high-lighted brunette at the age of 60+. And I got all tangled up in blue at a similar age.

Here she is as a blonde (1970-2011):

blondeonblonde.jpg

....and back as her old self (1948-'68, 2011-until the end of time)

1948J-45.jpg

Well, this girl has actually had multiple personalities, sort of like her long-time companion. She began life as your basic high-lighted brunette. In 1968 (thanks to Gibson), she went shocking redhead for about two years. [scared] I convinced her to become a blonde in 1970 (I was in my Martin-envy phase), and she stayed that way for 41 years. :mellow:

Last year, we had a little discussion, and decided that we both needed to go back to our roots. So she went back to being a high-lighted brunette at the age of 60+. And I got all tangled up in blue at a similar age.

Here she is as a blonde (1970-2011):

blondeonblonde.jpg

....and back as her old self (1948-'68, 2011-until the end of time)

1948J-45.jpg

So she was a fetching blonde as well... Still, she looks better in burst. All she needs now is a leopard skin pillbox hat.

• 5 months later...

I love the rosewood back and sides but i'm not sure about the graphics on the pickguard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sparrow-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

Been playing various Sparrows in the guitar stores for a while now. Very consistent sound, playability and quality among the bunch. Finally unloaded and bought one. Traded my Martin HD28. Pickguard aside its a remarkable sounding guitar. Strong clear base, mids and trebles. Very balanced. Dynamic range is outstanding. It can be played soft and it sounds great. It can be driven hard wtih a pick and it doesn't break up. Finger style or flat picked its a really nice instrument. Remains to be seen but right now its my hands down favorite. As for the pick guard, it blends in nicely with the sunburst top. Hey its not that bad! Really! :-) Great guitar!

Been playing various Sparrows in the guitar stores for a while now. Very consistent sound, playability and quality among the bunch. Finally unloaded and bought one. Traded my Martin HD28. Pickguard aside its a remarkable sounding guitar. Strong clear base, mids and trebles. Very balanced. Dynamic range is outstanding. It can be played soft and it sounds great. It can be driven hard wtih a pick and it doesn't break up. Finger style or flat picked its a really nice instrument. Remains to be seen but right now its my hands down favorite. As for the pick guard, it blends in nicely with the sunburst top. Hey its not that bad! Really! :-) Great guitar!

I absolutely believe you. Congrats on the choice.

Could be fantastic to hear a little (or longer) sample.

Never underestimate long-scale.

I like the 2nd sparrow much better, but the sail boat has to go.....I've been wondering over the last 3-4 months what that first sparrow reminds me of. Now I know.......Remember the cartoon character (this goes back a ways, so only a few of you might remember...lol) Chilly Willy, the penguin? That face on the first sparrow reminds me of Chilly Willy....I love Gibsons and I'm sure the woods used on this guitar make it an awesome instrument, but that particular sparrow has to go (I could live with the second one), and the sailboat has to go too. It's kind of like a drawing in a childrens' book. I hope it gets changed.

Congrats! I would love to see some pics and hear some sound clips. I did not know these were in stores these days. I have to admit, the pick guard has really grown on me since I first saw it posted here.

I love the guitar, in all it's glory. I think it is unique and I like the specs. Gibson Rosewood guitars resonate like a freakin church hall.

Yeah, the rosewood gives it a certain warmth and some resonance relative to my J45tv. The adi top makes a difference too. At least to my ears. 4 out of my 5 guitars have adi tops. I think adi provides clarity and it doesn't seem to care if its getting the soft touch or getting thrashed pretty hard. But it still sounds like a Gibson. I think they did a good job with this one. Sorta has a litle bit of a combo of Hummingbird balance and J45 guts. If that makes sense. And I am pretty hard on guitars. I take them back or later trade them if I don't bond with them. This one is not going back!

Congrats! I would love to see some pics and hear some sound clips. I did not know these were in stores these days. I have to admit, the pick guard has really grown on me since I first saw it posted here.

Pardon the lack of photography skills. Y'all! Try not to stare at the pick guard! Hahahaha!!

post-38467-034421700 1339371419_thumb.jpg

post-38467-048166900 1339371442_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I thought for a long time about picking up a Sparrow but I couldn't get pass the PG. I know, sounds ridiculous but its true. I love the combination of Adi and Rosewood. So imagine my surprise when I found this guitar. It's a Hummingbird in Mystic Rosewood and a Adi top. The sound is really amazing. To me is sounds similar to my Martin 18GE but with a bit more soul to it. Not so sterile as a 18GE can be. I did get to play the Sparrow and it sounded pretty similar to the Mystic Hummingbird and it appeared to be pretty close to size of the Hummingbird and not the size of the Songwriter.

preowned-gibsonhummingmystic-2T_zps1fcbe414.jpgpreowned-gibsonhummingmystic-4T_zpsbe89801a.jpgpreowned-gibsonhummingmystic-5T_zpsde55cb9c.jpg

"You just can't keep coincidences down" – lucky for you.

Like most Birds, yours seems to be short-scale – the Sparrow is 25,5.

Nothing to think too much about.

I really like the looks of yours.

The difference between the beautiful back and lighter neck also. Plus the tuners.

Is there a chance we could hear this otherly flier. . . .

Agree with most that the guard could have been better designed, but I like the idea and the dark burst looks good.

Perhaps if Gibson are looking for bird ideas for future variants they could offer the latest addition to my household a signature model?

WP_000696.jpg

• 1 year later...

Everything about it is good except a couple things. That pick guard looks as if someone made an attempt to practice geometry or some old form of mechanical drawing and it was his first time. The cat got an "F" on that assignment and the teacher did not allow a "re-take."

I love the tulip knobs on the tuners, just like my hummingbird. As a personal preference, I prefer them to be ivoroid as that gold will erode soon and look bad. The gold on the rest of each machine will last with proper care. Mine are 1966 and still look good.

I wonder if Keith Richards has some of these Sparrows yet and what HE thinks of them. I asked that question on his newsletter sight with no answer yet.

Jed

I wonder if Keith Richards has some of these Sparrows yet and what HE thinks of them. I asked that question on his newsletter sight with no answer yet.

You never know, but I'm 98 to 2 % certain the answer is negative.

Richards don't seem to care for square Gibsons these days - been there done that, but the H-Bird-T-shirt doesn't fit anymore - and now freaks out behind an old smaller vintage Martin from the war years.

I saw Wood play it on a tv-show, , , it sounded goooooood. .

Archived