Gibson Brands Forums

dear leader dead

EVOL!

bluzhammer

Actually that's not necessarily the case. History has more than a few examples of tyrants who were considered pretty bad in their time and their death was celebrated only to discover that the next ruler was worse.

A perfect example is Caligula who followed Tiberius.

m

So true it hurts....... On basically the same side of the world so many involved gave their lives in Iraq. Now that we have Officially and publicly pulled out most troops this will be the first possible example of your words. I fear that this will eventually prove to be a waste of human life, materials and money. The new Iraq has the ability to remain free; does the new Iraq want to be free is the question. Many in the region will benefit if they don't; mainly Iran. Its obvious that Iran has been involved in the background for years.

The son of the Korean ruler acts very much as a follower of his father; and frankly I would be lying if I didn't say I was very concerned.

I totally agree with you about the Iraq condition.

"Free" is a relative in this case. It could be "free" to choose a dictator, "free" to travel, "free" to trade and sell oil, or any number of things that benefit or harm them as a people, in whatever they choose or WHO they wish to ally with and what international rules they choose to follow.

I am less concerned about what the new leader of N Korea would or could do, but I am concerned with what the US and China would do, and what positions and policies they (we) take.

I don't see anything unpredictable about the N Korean leadership, and for the most part, I think what they HAVE done has more to do with the cards played to them, as far as benefiting their own country.

What I think WILL make a difference, is what policies can or will be enforced. As it is now, China seems to be capable of replacing the US as an economic ally to other countries, so they will be in a position to make world policy at the time of their choosing the way things are going.

As to that harming or benefiting the US, at THIS time we seem to be unwilling to to stop giving them the economic resources and support that result in China becoming the dominant power, and at the same time our time of being able to influence policy of China seems to be short.

These are bad times. I´m afraid of a new global war. Why can´t the humanity be peaceful? I´m glad, that we Germans have learnt from the history.

I wish all members a happy Christmas time. :)

Chuck Norris doesn’t believe in Germany.

Oh Lord, have mercy on us all. If George has flown the coop, (or has he flown a coup?), and Hollywood Cage is defending us all, what does 2012 have in store? [scared]

I'm ordering me those new lead/Kevlar/Outlast long undies that someone must surely sell online. You know radiation, bullet proof & keeps you comfortable & dry in hot or cold weather stuff. If not on the market, then would some enterprising entrepreneur here in the States get moving as we are going to need them with IRAN & N Kor as just 2 of our issues to live with?

Aster

This isn't 1950, China and the US are strong trade partners, North Korea offers nothing but hordes of refugees pouring into China if a war breaks out. And for those who believe our relationship with China is a one way deal with we needing them more then they need us I say, study economics and history.....China needs us as much as we need them and they know it.

For all the bluff BS that goes on the bottom line is, in the past two years China has been investing in the US, not just buying debt. They are invested in natural gas pipeline and fields here (investing $300Mil in Chesapeake Energy last year, just one example).

It would come as a shock to most Americans to learn that the most popular restaurant in China is KFC, it is also a popular place for weddings in China. Tiffanies opened over 30 stores in China in the past few years, Coach (the hand bag company) is selling in China like rice cakes...the status symbol for the Chinese businessman today is a Coach shoulder bag and a Buick.

China has such a need for cleaner energy they are bring a average of 60 power plants online ever year, over 100 nuclear plants planned in the future and GE is building them. State of the art systems that make what we have look like a 1950's horror movie.

Mao wouldn't last one day in China today....and North Korea is as much a problem for China and it is for the west. It is interesting that China's first and only air craft carrier is under going it's shake down off the coast of North Korea...

bluzhammer

Actually that's not necessarily the case. History has more than a few examples of tyrants who were considered pretty bad in their time and their death was celebrated only to discover that the next ruler was worse.

A perfect example is Caligula who followed Tiberius.

m

[/quote

You are correct. I should have qualified that with the word " momentarily". I always shook my head at guys like Kim Jung Il, and Mao in their primes , all chubby and grinning as they starved off millions of their own,

All kidding aside, in ways this really reminds me of some of the difficulties in Syracuse when Plato was called in to help with governance. The internal family struggles even put him at risk and he got out as soon as it was safe to do so. He was called back a second, time, but even were he to have been a magician, nothing was going to bring structural change.

North Korea? Were I the Chinese, I'd hope that my internal "spies" in Pyongyang knew a lot more about what's going on than what we know here. But my guess is that they do; and that they're already positioning for what they hope would maintain stability within a client state that has much, if not most, of the peninsula's natural resources.

m

I actually have a friend that's coming to the house here at the end of the year who lives in South Korea. My wife talked to him yesterday about their travel plans and they are quite worried and the economic situation in South Korea caused by the turmoil. Guess I need to clear some space in case they need to extend their stay.

On a side note, I read an article this morning about one of the great feats that the late KJ accomplished in his glorious life time.

Apparently, KJ (who had never had a golf lesson in his life) decided to try his hand at some stick and took to a 7,700 yard, 18 hole pro level course in Pyongyang.

Mind you KJ had never played golf before, but that did not stop him from 4 hole-in-ones and an overall score of 38 for the round.

Just to put it into perspective for you non golfers, Tiger Woods once shot a 62 on a comparable course to win the Masters.

So not only is KJ better on his first round that Tiger was in his prime, but more than 20 strokes better.

But the only thing better than shooting a 38 is to have a witness! KJ happened to have several underlings with him to vouch for his score.

Not only has the world lost a leader, but the greatest golfer ever to live, and most likely will ever live.

RIP Kim (Cinderella Story) Jung Il. Its in the hole!

On a side note, I read an article this morning about one of the great feats that the late KJ accomplished in his glorious life time.

Apparently, KJ (who had never had a golf lesson in his life) decided to try his hand at some stick and took to a 7,700 yard, 18 hole pro level course in Pyongyang.

Mind you KJ had never played golf before, but that did not stop him from 4 hole-in-ones and an overall score of 38 for the round.

Just to put it into perspective for you non golfers, Tiger Woods once shot a 62 on a comparable course to win the Masters.

So not only is KJ better on his first round that Tiger was in his prime, but more than 20 strokes better.

But the only thing better than shooting a 38 is to have a witness! KJ happened to have several underlings with him to vouch for his score.

Not only has the world lost a leader, but the greatest golfer ever to live, and most likely will ever live.

That is absolutely the funniest post I've ever read. If that story is true, then he should be considered for sainthood! [thumbup]

To shoot 38 on an 18 hole, 7700 yd. course, he would have to be around 34 under par, which means he'd have had to have around 16 eagles. An eagle on a par four is like a hole-in-one. Not even god could do that.

That's odd. Last time a shot a .38 it was at a cut out of Dear Leader.

Archived