Gibson Brands Forums

Gate-checking an ES-335?

willdguitar

Hey everyone, I keep coming back with more and more ES-335 questions.

I've always flown back and forth between Austin and New York with my Telecaster (gate-checking and just bringing it on the plane), but with a semi-hollow I'm more concerned than usual.

My main concern is that the cargo hold will not be pressurized/heated, and it will crack the hollow portion of the guitar, or strain it enough to cause permanent damage.

I ALWAYS loosen the strings before loading it, but would the changing temperatures and pressures damage it?

Should I avoid ever gate-checking the ES?

Thanks much!

EDIT: I'm hoping for some replies pretty quickly, since I'm leaving tomorrow, and if I decide not to bring it I'll drop it off to get some work done. Once again, thanks!

I fly with a guitar a lot.

You don't mention the case you will use.

You will not have a problem carrying your guitar to the gate.

The desk clerk usually doesn't bother you about what exactly your carry on plan is.

Then when you get to the gate and begin boarding your fun begins.

Sometimes the agent will tag your guitar as a gate check item sometimes not.

If you aren't directly told to gate check the item you can try to bring it on board if the steward allows you past the hatch.

Once your on the plane its going to be obvious if the instrument will fit the overheads.

If it does not you can ask the steward if there is closet space in business class , often there is. If not ? your back with your gate check plan.

At that point you need a real case, not a gig bag , and preferably not the hard case you got with the guitar. The TKL is a great case, but the airlines could tear up a crowbar.

Gibson provides a nice case for their instruments but they are not "flight cases".

If you plan on flying frequently the least $ you can get away with in the flight case world is a Hiscox Light Flight II.

Its a British brand that is stocked by many retailers in the US.

Other than that there are the usual suspects look up carbon fiber or fiberglass flight case on the web.

I hesitate to make recommendations for Calton because of their delivery "issues", but thats what I use for my hollowbodies. I've also flown dozens of trips with a Hiscox.

For my solidbody I'm using a Hoffee.

Good luck with your flight.

A good case brings peace of mind.

I have no Idea what the cargo conditions may be regarding heat , cold or pressure. Its a risk you have to take. Insure your guitars.

Lots of folks fly with their instruments, its not that big a deal , usually the only problem with heat or cold is finish checking. You can avoid that by not taking the instrument out of the case if its cold. If you see the finish fogging when you open the case close it and wait for the guitar to get to room temperature if possible. Then your good to go.

Flying with something with a larger body than a Tele, I'd also check that the dimensions of the case do not exceed the airline regulations for a single checked bag. I was once charged a "dimensional weight" premium for flying with an Explorer in a case.

Flying with something with a larger body than a Tele, I'd also check that the dimensions of the case do not exceed the airline regulations for a single checked bag. I was once charged a "dimensional weight" premium for flying with an Explorer in a case.

That could happen with an Explorer. Its about as big as an ironing board in a hard case.

Never heard anything like that with a standard shaped guitar. Including Super 400's, D size flat tops and etc.

Your at the mercy of the airlines whatever you do. Remember they actually make their money shipping freight not flying folks around.

I have been upcharged for the guitar as a second bag though. That happens often over seas. I find that difficulties increase the further east you go in Europe. For one thing the flights are shorter and the planes tend to be smaller. Same in the mid west USA. Flying from Iowa to Colorado . Local stuff small planes.

Cheers !

Archived