Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood for other than fretboards

Tman

Is it under the same scrutiny and restrictions? Say a rosewood acoustic, are they in danger of going away? I've actually tried to look this up but there is so much confusing info out there and most of it is about fret boards. Anyone know?

Is it under the same scrutiny and restrictions? Say a rosewood acoustic, are they in danger of going away? I've actually tried to look this up but there is so much confusing info out there and most of it is about fret boards. Anyone know?

The way "I" understand it, it's not a shortage of Rosewood, or Ebony, as much as it's the way Gibson

went about procuring it. I may be totally wrong, but that's my basic understanding. Otherwise, every

other manufacturer would be in the same "hot water," as Gibson...IF, it was just the wood, itself.

CB

The way "I" understand it, it's not a shortage of Rosewood, or Ebony, as much as it's the way Gibson

went about procuring it. I may be totally wrong, but that's my basic understanding. Otherwise, ever

other manufacturer would be in the same "hot water," as Gibson...IF, it was just the wood, itself.

CB

Thanks CB. Does that mean then that any rosewood falls under that umbrella?

Yeah, from my understanding Gibson made a few mistakes these past couple years and acquired their woods through the wrong people. This breaking of an Indian bylaw broke the camel's back and Uncle Sam thought it necessary to confiscate Gibson's hoard of rosewood.

I'm assuming Gibson can still buy rosewood through third party vendors for their historic models, but I'm sure that'll cost them extra and we'll see the price hike on our end. But I don't know if they can buy directly from foresters or not. Maybe Gibson doesn't want to buy anymore rosewood until they are sure they're not going to get their supply back, I don't know. Time will tell.

All the people that work in the wood industry, know the restrictions, and limitations,

after all these years. Whether or not, Gibson went about knowingly getting that wood,

illegally, seems to be the question. IF they did something wrong, intentionally, or were

just a victim of and error, or series of errors, is what we don't really know, yet! Henry's

the only one talking...the Government (typically) isn't! So, all we can do, is speculate,

intelligently, or otherwise. [tongue]

CB

Yeah, from my understanding Gibson made a few mistakes these past couple years and acquired their woods through the wrong people. This breaking of an Indian bylaw broke the camel's back and Uncle Sam thought it necessary to confiscate Gibson's hoard of rosewood.

I'm assuming Gibson can still buy rosewood through third party vendors for their historic models, but I'm sure that'll cost them extra and we'll see the price hike on our end. But I don't know if they can buy directly from foresters or not. Maybe Gibson doesn't want to buy anymore rosewood until they are sure they're not going to get their supply back, I don't know. Time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the Indian Government has issued several statements saying no Indian law was broken. It's just the US Government interpretation that Indian law was broken and the wood was illegal.

Does anyone know if the US Government has actually filed any charges yet?

I'm pretty sure the Indian Government has issued several statements saying no Indian law was broken. It's just the US Government interpretation that Indian law was broken and the wood was illegal.

Does anyone know if the US Government has actually filed any charges yet?

If that's the case, I'm wondering why the US government cares so much. The gov usually caters to big business.

We've heard Gibson's story, but nothing from the state.

Archived