Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Mandolin Quality

2 years ago I purchased a Gibson Goldrush mandolin from an individual who was not aware of any problems with the mandolin. I paid approximately 5k for the mandolin and really liked it . My son wanted a new guitar so i decided to trade the mandolin in on the new guitar and after trade in i owed $500 for the guitar so i had the store hold it until around christmas so i would not have to hide it from him. About 6 weeks went by and the store contacted me saying they could no honor my trade in because the mandolin was defective. They sold the mandolin and the person buying the mando noticed a dip in the top and sent it back to them during the trial period. They sent the mandolin to a very well known dealer in Nashville who examined the mandolin and determined that the top was to thin and that it was a factory defect and that the factory had added a patch of some sort to help prevent the top from caving in. They also contacted gibson and they also agreed that the top was to thin and that it should have never left the factory but they could not honor the warranty because I was not the original purchaser. My issue is that I was honorable enough to allow the guitar dealer to return the mandolin to me after we had made a legal trade because I know it is the right thing to do it was not their fault the mandolin was defective. I'm out 5k and 4k for the guitar for my son. Gibson even though they admit that the mandolin should have not left the factory will not do the right thing and repair it for me. I'm very disappointed with gibson on this matter I know the warranty is black and white but when it comes to a obvious lack of concern of quality by someone who built this mandolin i must question buying any more gibson products. I would like to know if anyone else has had an issue like this or has comments.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd say legally you are under no obligation to take the mandolin back. After all, a deal's a deal. Any reputable dealer should carefully inspect an instrument they get in on trade for any problems, and should be responsible for missing a defective mandolin top. How did they miss that one?

Archived