Gibson Brands Forums

Just purchased me some Slim Whitman :D

JuanCarlosVejar

I can't listen to Slim Whitman without thinking of Tim Burton's film, "Mars Attacks", in which all efforts to stop the invading Martians takeover of the world fail until a little girl hits on the idea of playing Slim Whitman's version of "Indian Love Call" at top volume.

When the Martians get an earful of Slim Whitman yodeling "Indian Love Call" over loudspeakers, their heads explode.

Mine does, too. [biggrin]

Thanks for posting .... Slim is well know to us old folk who live in the Southeast USA .... I remember watching him in black and white on Saturday afternoon on local TV. He really never made it "big" in Nashville or nationally but this brings back memories of those simple days.

When I was a kid, my father was a great Slim Whitman fan. Even though Dad was a VERY strait-laced and serious man, he would break into a Whitman song at the slightest provocation. I have to admit Dad was a pretty good yodler, as well.

You can imagine how this would mortify a kid who was desperately concerned with being too cool for school.

Slim's appearance has always reminded me of a used-car salesman from West Texas, but it works for him.

When I was a kid, my father was a great Slim Whitman fan. Even though Dad was a VERY strait-laced and serious man, he would break into a Whitman song at the slightest provocation. I have to admit Dad was a pretty good yodler, as well.

You can imagine how this would mortify a kid who was desperately concerned with being too cool for school.

Slim's appearance has always reminded me of a used-car salesman from West Texas, but it works for him.

lol pretty funny

but in his younger years he was really good looking .

and I like alot of his music . I'm an old country fan

Johnny Cash , Slim , Willie , are the big ones for me .

buy I'm open to anyone really.

I'm not a fan of Slim, but acknowledge he's got some props due. I know more than a couple people that are big Whitman fans. I've got a good friend that's a huge fan. Slim's still got a fan base out there for sure. Here's a bit of trivia - According to Guinness, Slim's "Rose Marie" had the longest run on number 1 in the UK charts until Bryan Adams broke the record in 1991 (the song reached number 4 on the US charts).

Archived