Gibson Brands Forums

New Nighthawk Day!

telemike

Got my Epiphone Nighthawk from MF today. Got 15% off. This is one nice guitar. A little neck heavy. Construction is top notch. 3 piece body I think. Fingerboard appears to be ebony, it's almost black. Finish is great, pickups are good so far. Really like the neck mini-hum.

Plays like butter and I have not even touched the setup yet.

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

Congrats, you will soon be even more sure you made a seriously good choice. I got mine last thursday and i'm more thrilled with it than just about any guitar i've ever owned. (and don't ask how many i've owned!)

By the way, mine has a rosewood board which is what the specs say. So yours is likely just a dark piece of rosewood. I much prefer rosewood myself. Anyways, welcome to the club [biggrin]

welcome to the forum. Nice lookin NH!

What, theres one thats not? [lol]

Hi and welcome

Many enthusiasts lurk nearby....

IMO the Nighthawk is a work of 'production' genius

Unbelievable price for a solidly built classic design with many tone options

Better than average stock Epi P/U's

They seem to sell out quickly, which says it all....

V

:-({|=

They seem to sell out quickly, which says it all....

Lucky for me, that seemed not to be the case at the GC near me. They had mine sitting on the floor for weeks and no one bought it. In fact, i saw it before all those black friday based sales that went for probably a week and it was still there after that and for weeks after. Good thing too because had it sold i wouldn't have mine now and probably would never have gotten one.

When they introduced those at winter NAMM 2011, the specs called for an ebony board. At least the first batch was made that way, but they've since switched to rosewood. There are probably some ebony board ones still available, though.

My local Guitar Center got some in and they sold before I got a chance to try one! Darn...

Possible info on playability, please? [smile]

I can address that. First, i can tell you what I think. And that would be that while i may have had some guitars in my 40 years of playing that played as well, definately none played better and i can't say for sure any played as well. But in any case i've never had a better playing guitar. But thats me, and it's a very subjective thing. I would say if you like gibson's slim taper D neck as it's often referred to, you will love this.

As to the rest, let me put it this way. I test all my gear in a mix, that is to say i used to access it at gigs because in a mix is where you truly know how good it is by how it cuts. Today i rarely ever play out anymore so i do it at home by cranking music and jamming along. That said, so far this guitar has shined over and above my main axe in that test, a strat i've had for years. I never thought i'd find another strat that could take it's spot as my #1, let alone a gibson style guitar ! It's honestly amazed me. Might just be the best electric i've ever owned, and certainly right up there. All for $350 out the door. Thats just ridiculous ! The only thing that may not be perfection like with most any guitar are the pickups. Not that they aren't good, but i think they could be improved. In fact, I think i'll ask here if anyone has tried the SD offerings.

Archived