Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-355 Glue on Fretboard!

Vinny1978

Hi All,

I've just purchased a new antique red es-355 w Bigsby from an online dealer. It has just arrived to me in Canada, and I've got a couple of issues that I need to act on quickly if I'm sending it back.

- lots of glue smeared adjacent to multiple frets on the ebony, with some yellow staining over onto the fretboard binding

- came with only a COA in the case ( is that all it should come with?)

- has the hole drilled in the body for the bottom strap button ... But no button.

Dealer says the glue can easily be scraped off with a razor, but I don't feel comfortable with this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vinny

Hard to comment without photos to evaluate, but it sounds pretty inexcusable. Maybe the online dealer can suggest a nearby authorized technician to do warranty work, but I'd be a bit surprised. I assume we're talking a new guitar bought from an authorized online dealer.

Yes new guitar, dealer said 2011 - but serial # states November 2010. Don't believe that he is an authorized dealer, although is a top eBay seller with 100% positive feedback. I'll try and get pictures up ASAP, as I've told him I'll decide on whether to return or not by tomorrow.

Pictures aside, should you even be able to notice any glue on the fretboard? I never have on any other guitars I've owned or played,

Thanks very much!

Yes new guitar, dealer said 2011 - but serial # states November 2010. Don't believe that he is an authorized dealer, although is a top eBay seller with 100% positive feedback. I'll try and get pictures up ASAP, as I've told him I'll decide on whether to return or not by tomorrow.

Pictures aside, should you even be able to notice any glue on the fretboard? I never have on any other guitars I've owned or played,

Thanks very much!

I've never seen a guitar with glue on the fretboard. Sounds like a straight quality control issue. Who you bought it from is a big deal. If it's not an authorized Gibson dealer and/or you aren't the original purchaser, there is no warranty, and you are relying on the reputation of the dealer to back it up.

Sorry, that looks to me, to be an attempt to glue in some frets! Not a good sign, along with the

other complaints you have. Send it back! I'd guess it was a return, or repair item, he decided

to unload! No strap button??? If he's so reliable, why didn't he get all this taken care of,

prior to putting it out, for sale?! [-X

Send it back, get your money back, and go to an authorized dealer! ](*,)'

CB

[thumbdn] FWIW, I am in complete agreement with both charlie brown and Versatile. I would send it back as quick as I could, and buy a guitar I could physically examine, from a reputable Gibson dealer capable of providing warranty service, if required.

J/W

B)

I agree, send it back,especially if he isnt an authorized dealer.Some of them on ebay dont offer any type of return policy, so count yourself fortunate.BTW, MF has a 15 percent coupon with free shipping, .I dont know what you paid , but it might be worth checking into.

[thumbdn] FWIW, I am in complete agreement with both charlie brown and Versatile. I would send it back as quick as I could, and buy a guitar I could physically examine, from a reputable Gibson dealer capable of providing warranty service, if required.

J/W

B)

Agree with all of these 100%. I do not believe the guitar left the factory this way. It almost looks like the guitar dried out badly, the frets popped up, and somebody did an unbelievably bad job of trying to glue them back down. Send it back, and get your money back. I would not touch this one, or have anything to do with a dealer who could sell this as a "new" guitar with a clear conscience. Of course, that assumes he has any conscience at all!

I was looking at a new ES355 in cherry red at Professional Music Supply in Des Moines Ia. He wanted $3000.00 out the door and he is a Gibson Dealer. This is the same dealer I bought my L-4CES from and he is a great guy to deal with. A Gibson warranty is worth having. I live in MN and have had some work done locally on my L-4CES under warranty. Good luck and happy holidays. Thanks John

Thanks very much!

I don't think Gibson dealers are allowed to sell Gibson's on EBAY as part of the terms of being a dealer. Not "new" ones.

Archived