Gibson Brands Forums

Do some need to 'graduate' to the Gibson tone ?

EuroAussie

Just wondering as in the past couple of weeks there were a couple folks on the AGF who bought themselves Gibsons after playing other brands for years. They both wrote how they suddenly 'discovered' the Gibson magic.

So I was wondering, and would be keen on your own observations, given the Gibson tone is quite specific, did it take you a while to hear the magic or did it hit you straight away beetween the eyes like a Mike Tyson punch ?

For me it was the first time I played a J-200, way back in 92' when I first started playing guitar. Had a crummy Washburn and then went to a small shop that had a bunch of great high end guitars and remember just being dumbfounded by the tone coming out of that big box after a couple strums, and depressed by the price tag.

I knew there and then that someday I would own one, took 20 years but it was worth the wait !

I love Gibson electric guitars, but just haven't felt the same way about the acoustics when I have played them. I am not closed minded and if one came along that felt great; I wouldn't be too proud to yearn for it and if I had the funds at the time, buy it! So far, this just hasn't happened.

I have only heard clips of it on youtube, but the one that does intrigue me is The Robert Johnson guitar.

Matt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, the first time i went to a store to get me a guitar it was with my dad 22, years ago. I had an acoustic Yamaha (still have) and wanted to upgrade to a SemiHollow. We walked into the store and the first guitar that hit my heart was a Gibson es335. I asked to play it and the shop owner, a very kind old man (he still ownes the shop with his even older old brother) smiled a funny smile and gave it to me. I loved the way it sat in my lap and the sound was just it. But the price...My father was against it and asked the old man for an economic version. I was disappointed but got me an Italian Eko Semihollw. Had it totally fine tuned and works like a treat.Fast forward to last year, i have gigged and recorded tons and everytime i happened to be lent a Gibson (i have played Sg, Les Paul and Es339) it was always LOVE. I just dont get any Mojo from a Fender, i love the guitar but it dont do it for that spot there deep inside. I like others playing it but in my hand it does not work.Then one day in the old man's shop i found a Gibson Les Paul Traditional eb with Bigsby and had to have it.Its the best guitar that i have played.I also own a Hagstrom Super Swede, get yourself one, they are sweet, a little fine tuning of he action and "might" chane the pickups but its wonderwful.Still does not beat my Les Paul Trad. Even unplugged it has such a sexy tone. And like my motorbike but unlike a girlfriend or a wife... It NEVER says no;)

Yep, some folks need to graduate to a place where they understand the tone. Why some people even reject all small-bodied Gibson acoustics or any maple Gibson smaller than a J-200 eusa_whistle.gif Someday they'll learn the right attack to make those sing too.

Anythings possible Jerry ;-) Have a great Xmas !

Yep, some folks need to graduate to a place where they understand the tone. Why some people even reject all small-bodied Gibson acoustics or any maple Gibson smaller than a J-200 eusa_whistle.gif Someday they'll learn the right attack to make those sing too.

To me, there is something rather arrogant and elitist to such a question that suggests that only a select few have justifiable access to the unique and superior qualities of specific brands or models of guitars. The question also implies that such access involves an adequate learning process and subsequent achievement allowing such entry into a sacred area of guitar enlightenment that mere mortals can only aspire to. The question suggests that one must have an innate or developed musical ear to be a part of such an exclusive club. And, most of all, it implies that those who have achieved this exalted level are superior.

Um, yeah... And your point is?

You could also say this about the old school rosewood snobs who will have endless debates about the virtues of brazilian vs east indian rosewood and poke their noses at mahogany.

My point is that there are some whose egos are so fragile that they have the need to identify themselves with an alleged superior and unique guitar or group of folks who own such guitars in order to feel complete.

My point is that there are some whose egos are so fragile that they have the need to identify themselves with an alleged superior and unique guitar or group of folks who own such guitars in order to feel complete.

I was just kidding you along. The topic is posed badly but actually I think it makes sense to talk about not 'getting' an instrument, not grokking its goodness. There could be a number of reasons for that.

I find it hard to dislike most guitars. Even cheapos can be fun. I picked up an Epiphone EJ-200 Artist ($125 at Musician's friend) the other day. No it's not a J-200 but it makes a big sound and is fun. Likewise, I suspect people who hate Martins (or Taylors or whatever) of being crippled in some way. I prefer some guitar models but they're all pretty good in some way or other.

It's always been Gibson for me. I started out as an electric player in various noisy bands, was a huge Zeppelin fan and sold every last speck of my belongings to fund a Gibson Les Paul Standard in HCS (just like Mr. Page). The thing sounded like galaxies colliding and played brilliantly.

When I went solo full-time, I sold the LP and a Takamine I had, scraped together a ton more cash and bought my SJ200, which was the longest serving guitar I've ever owned. What a brilliant instrument that was. Sadly I developed a tendon problem in my right shoulder which was exacerbated by playing a Super Jumbo, so just a few months ago I parted company with it and bought my AJ, which is brilliant.

Other Gibson acoustics which have been in the stable include:

'95 'Early' J45

'06 Hummingbird MC

'07 CJ165 Maple

'08 Hummingbird MC

'08 Dove MC

'08 J45 MC

'68 B-15

'09 L-00 Blues King

'33 Kalamazoo KG21

Loved 'em all...some had to go for financial reasons, some for trades, but each one has been a joy.

Mmmmh, i had not figured this thread as elitist. I love my Gibson because itvresonates with me. It suits me. I have a good friend who feels the same with his Fender Strat. Motorcycles... I have been able to test Kavasaki, Honda, Ducati, Triumph, they are all brilliant but in the end the one that feels mine is the Honda, i liked the others but the Honda feels right. Women are the same, how many are there? And yet only one will be you true life companion, its a question of matched affinities.There are many women with whom you could be happybut not all are Mes Right One. Guitars are the same, must try many to understand which one is yours. A friend of mine has been endorsing Gretsch g5120. I play it once in a while and i love it, but its not my guitar, my guitar is a Les Paul.Acustic wise i have recorded with Ibanez, Gibson and Takamine... Then i come home, pick up my Crafter Jumbo snd think that its the best guitar in the world. I found it by chance in a small shop i had never ventured into before but then... I saw that guitar on display in the window and loved the shape, loved the colour. I loved it since the first riff. My friends dont like to play with it but for me, it just answers exactly the way i want it under my fingers and makes me play better:)

Certainly was not meant to be perceived as elitist. The two AGF members I was referring to played and still play Martins, Taylors etc, so we're in the same league as far as 'brand' and 'value' go. I was referring primarily to the moment when you discovered the magic, for some it was instant, for others it took some experience with other brands first.

And I absolutely agree!!!! The one-brand/monotheistic narrow mindset, off-handedly ignores all the wonderful, good-sounding, well-playable guitars that are capable of making excellent music with the right player to help.

Closed-mindedness is simply what it is.

I feel I ought to add that I'm not a Gibson elitist or anything...I love my Epi EJ200 which I use for acoustic material whilst doing band work-it's big, fun, sounds great and it doesn't matter if it gets a ding or six. Great guitar. I have a LAG electric which is similarly awesome. I played Takamines for years, have owned Martins, Guilds, Lowdens, Lawsuit-era copies of various guitars, all kinds of stuff.

The bottom line is, after 20yrs or so of playing, I know I like Gibson necks, Gibson tone and Gibson responsiveness. It's just a preference rather than some blind-minded, elitist allegiance. If someone handed me a Taylor/Collings/Martin/Guild/whatever that blew my mind, I'd play that instead, but as yet, nothing has matched up to a Gibson for personal preferences and stylistic suitability.

This is a Gibson forum. People come here to share their enthusiasm for Gibson products. It seems silly to have to defend your love of the instrument, look, sound, feel or whatever-here. I don't in any way take the OP as elitist. There are lots of nice guitars out there, as has been stated. OP was merely asking how we came to like Gibsons - love at first sight or an acquired taste. It isn't a crime or elitist to have preferences. I took the "graduate" comment as tongue-in-cheek.

1324642197[/url]' post='1077404']

This is a Gibson forum. People come here to share their enthusiasm for Gibson products. It seems silly to have to defend your love of the instrument, look, sound, feel or whatever-here. I don't in any way take the OP as elitist. There are lots of nice guitars out there, as has been stated. OP was merely asking how we came to like Gibsons - love at first sight or an acquired taste. It isn't a crime or elitist to have preferences. I took the "graduate" comment as tongue-in-cheek.

I totally agree this is a fibson forum and this is the place to share our opinions on the subject Gibson.I fell in love with the gibson just the samr way i fell in love with my honda. The first moment i took a ride i knew. The vibe ws right. W the quality of the sound of gibson, the way it sits and thenway it feels is just my king of bag baby yeah. A book by Aldo "gibson and i, its just my kind of bag" ...ntjat not miiiine;)

Martin vs. Gibson is like the Red Sox vs. Yankees rivalry. You are either one or the other - a Gibson fan or Martin. Never the twain shall meet. I don't care about Martins - they just don't do anything for me. Most of them look the same. Gibson has so many choices new or vintage that it can make your head spin. I played a 1965 J-50 ADJ which wasn't even in that good of shape and was blown away by how loud and great sounding that guitar was, and it's not even one of Gibsons better guitars all things considered. Either you get it or you don't. I'm a confirmed Gibsonite for life. Now, if I could just afford to but all the guitars I'd like to own, I'd be all set.

You dont think its possible to like both Martins and Gibsons ?

Im a Gibson guy through and through, but I do have a soft spot for some of their models, especially vintage D-18's, to me they have a great woody, fundamental tone, especially when played in for a number of years. Im even considering buying a D-18P which is a standard D-18 with 1 3/4 nut width.

My Furch OM and Cort guitars are both Martin inspired in tone, and I have to admit I enjoy playing them as a 'change up' from Gibson. After leaving the Gibbys for a couple days I look forward to playing them even more, but I like a seachange every now and then..

Martin vs. Gibson is like the Red Sox vs. Yankees rivalry. You are either one or the other - a Gibson fan or Martin. Never the twain shall meet. I don't care about Martins - they just don't do anything for me. Most of them look the same. Gibson has so many choices new or vintage that it can make your head spin. I played a 1965 J-50 ADJ which wasn't even in that good of shape and was blown away by how loud and great sounding that guitar was, and it's not even one of Gibsons better guitars all things considered. Either you get it or you don't. I'm a confirmed Gibsonite for life. Now, if I could just afford to but all the guitars I'd like to own, I'd be all set.

You dont think its possible to like both Martins and Gibsons ?

Im a Gibson guy through and through, but I do have a soft spot for some of their models, especially vintage D-18's, to me they have a great woody, fundamental tone, especially when played in for a number of years. Im even considering buying a D-18P which is a standard D-18 with 1 3/4 nut width.

My Furch OM and Cort guitars are both Martin inspired in tone, and I have to admit I enjoy playing them as a 'change up' from Gibson. After leaving the Gibbys for a couple days I look forward to playing them even more, but I like a seachange every now and then..

I think I know what Pfox is saying here..... I have no dislike for Martins, and given the chance I'd own one. It's just that they don't float my boat.....

My first acoustic was a Yamaha FG75...it got me learning and lasted years but, all in all, it was a crappy little guitar. I bought my first good guitar, a J-45, and realized the difference in playing a fine instrument and an instrument.

I've owned Taylors (before they moved and after they moved) older Guilds, Epiphones, Alvarez-Yari on and on...I prefer Gibson. No more makes me an elitist than fly to the moon. I PREFER Gibson.

Anyone who says "_____________brand or _____________brand is the best and the only one worthy of owning" is, quite simply, a fool. That Yamaha did great by me for a good number of years. (until it was left behind in Washington, DC as I headed into the sunset via my thumb without it due to being a stoned dumb-***)

To me, the Gibson growl is preferable to the Martin chime to my playing. A bluegrasser loves that chime so a Martin is what they choose. Same-same GI.

In 2006 I decided I wanted to get a new acoustic so I went to the local purveyor of guitars (gibson stocking dealers are getting harder to find around here) and I played every brand he had-I finally picked up a brand new 2006 Gibson J45 and wow!

I bought it and it is the finest tone I have ever owned-I just love this guitar. I have been a Gibson fan ever since I first heard "Statesboro Blues" at a Allman Bros show.

"Graduate" certainly wouldn't be a word that I would use. "Evolved" might be more fitting in my case.

I've owned a lot of different acoustic guitars from a variety of brands over the years but Gibsons have long been in the mix. For a while I was playing around with a lot of alternate tunings and gravitated towards guitars with more overtones. I ended up where I'm at now musically speaking and these days if I play something in an open tuning it's more than likely back to the basic blues inspired music I started out with. Over time I've come to prefer fewer overtones with more emphasis on dry, woody sounding guitars.

Rambler mentioned those who demand articulation, and I still pretty much fall into that category. That might also explain why I rejected so many Gibsons before finding the two that I do own. They might not be the absolute most articulate guitars out there, but they meet my needs perfectly. I've stated on this forum in the past that when we talk about the "Gibson tone" that there's a pretty good chance that phrase means something different to each of us, not to mention that it all comes down to the individual guitar. You can quickly tell what I'm looking for out of a Gibson by listening to the various sound clips I've posted around here.

As far as Martins and Gibsons go, I tend to think of them as the Ford and Chevy of the guitar world. I have far more attraction to Gibsons overall, but I also own a Martin that I really enjoy as well. The thing is, the Martin that I chose still exhibits the dry, woody qualities that I look for without an abundance of overtones. No matter which guitar I'm playing, in the end I still sound like me.

The bottom line for me is that while plenty of people don't go for Gibsons, I really dig mine. To each their own.

There are only two kinds of guitars out there - those that you like and those you don't.

For me the list of those I like is far longer than the one with the brands I don't cotton to. I own two Gibsons and six with other names on the headstock. The thing is the one that I would be most inclined to sell or trade is without a doubt, in terms of build quality, rarity, and everything else, the best guitar I own - my 1960 Gibson J-200. This was my #1 guitar for a whole lotta years. But as time went by I just started gravitating towards the sound of other guitars more and found myself spending more time with an LG-2 in my hands than the J-200.

But you ask my wife, who used to gig and with a Gibson, and she will tell you not only is that J-200 the best Gibson she has ever played but the best guitar on the face of the planet.

I don't discriminate based on the name on the headstock. I have twice as many Gibsons as Martins, but each guitar was consciously chosen for its specific characteristics and the type of music they are intended for. In college back in the 60's, I was envious of all my friends, who had these hyper-articulate Martins that my humble and road-worn J-45 couldn't compete with. Over time, however, my J-45 has just gotten better, and better.... and better, and my appreciation of its unique tone character has simply grown. It is my favorite guitar, and the one I would keep if I had to own only one.

Was it an acquired taste? Sort of, but a lot of the best things in life are.

Archived