Gibson Brands Forums

Just saw a couple of P90 ES-335 at GC

Riffster

[love]

They are in between a faded and a full glossy finish, P90s, dot inlays and yes, a center block.

priced at $2,664.

Can't find them online,

Yupp ... I just came back from GC in Clearwater here and they had 2 ... a brown one and a Sunburst ... $2664. Didn't bother looking at details because it's not what I was looking for. Good lookin' units!

Yep, those are the same two colors I saw.

The guitars are satin but they look better than the sting ES-335 with humbuckers I have seen before.

They have the 60's neck and metal tulip tuners, MOP logo.

I wonder if they are an exclusive for GC.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a chance to played one at my local GC. The store also confirmed that it is an in-store GC exclusive so you will not be able to find it on their on-line store (like the Fender GC in store exclusive bound Telecaster P90 in transparent sunset orange that I picked up the other day [smile] ).

The 335 P90 that I played looked black from a distance but was actually a dark walnut color. It had a great P90 snarl but the neck was so bowed as to be almost not playable. It really needed at least a basic set-up baaaaad! :(

• 1 month later...

I picked one of these up and it was made in October of last year.

Vincent, or anybody, can you tell me if this is a Rosewood fretboard?

What other details can you give me on the guitar? Since it was a GC exclusive there is remarkably little information on the web about it.

Thanks!

If getting up to that price point, I'd buy a regular natural finished ES-335.

The going price for a natural finish 335 is typically $400 higher than the other versions. When I picked up my '06 in natural, they were asking $300 more, but it also happened to be the best sounding 335 out of four in a side by side comparison, so that sealed the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update: Don't know how many of these are left out there, but I just brought one home, and it's quite a guitar. The asking price seemed rather steep, but with 15% off and a trade-in to boot, it became reasonably affordable. Made in December of 2011, this one is a fairly bright red, with a true '60s neck & ebony fretboard, P90s with coil taps, ABR bridge without retaining wire, chrome tulip Grover tuners, gloss top, and a very smooth satin finish over the rest of the body. Build quality is first rate. I had played a brown one at another store & it was rather unimpressive tonally, but this red one just sings! Overall, a unique and impressive instrument, and worth checking out if you can still find one.

Archived