Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird

Pammiestar

Hi there everyone.

Im a newbie and would like a bit of advice please. Im looking to buy a Hummingbird (would LOVE a J200 but its soooo expensive). Anyway I tried the hummingbird acoustic out in my local shop and it sounded so sweet and beautiful and just fell in love with it. However I thought I would find it cheaper on line so I did a bit of research and found a great music shop that sells them and thats when I got confused. Sorry if this is a silly question to some but whats the difference between Hummingbird Artist LTD and the Hummingbird Acoustic Pro EC, and the classic HCS. Is it the colour, the number of frets etc. Will it more or less sound the same?

I won't be able to try any out as its from abroad and will be shipped over.

Thanks again

Pammie

Firstly welcomne to the forum, you will find a lot of good advice and lots great folks.

Now to answer you question, and ill get to the point the HB pro and artist are not really true HB's, rather marketing referances. They have the shape of a songwriter which is completely different cattle of fish. Dont mean it doesnt sound good, as they do, but you wont get the true HB tone which it seems youre afer.

The HCS I think is the real HB shape, so you should keep an eye for that or a HB Modern Classic and if you want the real good stuff, I mean top shelf whisky bar kinda stuff then take a look at a Hummingbird True Vintage.

Hope that helps and good luck !

Welcome to the nuthouse!

There's an old saying that goes A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and when choosing a guitar it applies. If you found a great guitar locally don't let the pursuit of a few dollars savings put you off it - the one you order might be a loser. You can investigate the different models of the Hummingbird here on the Gibson site. But still, whenever possible, support your local shops!

Thank you so much for that, you learn something new every day:) Looking with awe at all the beautiful guitars that Gibson make and also looking with saddnes now at my bank balance. Nevertheless, still gonna get one soon and and your right we should support our local shops.

Pammie

Welcome.

I'm for - 'support your local shop' whenever possible. Also - it's always best to try before you buy. So if you've played one locally you've fallin' for, that's a good way to go if the shop has a decent return policy (just in case). Good luck in your hunt.

Cattle and fish aside [biggrin] , the Hummingbird Artist and the Hummingbird are distinct guitars that only share a name and some very general characteristics.

While I like the Hummingbird Artists for what they are, the 'full size' Hummingbird is just a real nice instrument, tonally and aesthetically.

But, of course, you'll have to honour your wallet and bank account too!!

Fred

Thank you so much for that, you learn something new every day:) Looking with awe at all the beautiful guitars that Gibson make and also looking with saddnes now at my bank balance. Nevertheless, still gonna get one soon and and your right we should support our local shops.

Pammie

Pammie, you'll be glad you didn't "settle" for a Gibson that's "close"!

If you love the sound/feel/looks of a Hummingbird, don't settle for anything less.

Like you, I fell for a Hummingbird back in 1965..... and I've had dozens of guitars, some of which are VERY nice guitars...but I always felt disappointment that I didn't own a Hummingbird,. (I fixed that about 6 months ago).

I don't know where you are, but the price for guitars can be "haggled", so go get 'em!

The Bird is truly "the bird." There can only be one, and "the bird" is The Bird. ..........As someone else said---if you have found a guitar that truly sounds great, it might be wise to get it instead of buying one you have not played. Certainly there are a lot of great ones that are not played before purchase, but playing it first is the best situation. Good luck, kid........... [thumbup]

Welcome. And I agree with the advice you were given here. If you found a Gibson that t you like, then buy it. Don't be fooled into thinking that they all sound the same. When you find one that grabs you, grab it back and never let go. Read my Hummingbird story under the recent post titled Do some people have to grow into a Gibson. If you don't have all the $glory right how for that particular Hummingbird, see if you can put it on layaway. Most are willing to work with you if you give them a good down payment. Then they know you are a serious buyer. Especially your local shops. And yes, haggle on the price. It never hurts to ask.

Another bit of advice is that more expensive doesn't necessarily dictate a better guitar. You can't assume that all Hummingbird TV models will sound better than all Hummingbird MC. Or that all Hummingbird MC will sound better than all Hummingbird Artist or Pro models. They will all carry their own signature sound. Its just a matter if what sound , playability factors, and cosmetic features suit your particular need. $ can be a factor for some. But in my particular case it wasn't. But I found myself drawn to the looks of the classic. It also blended perfectly with my natural singing voice. It wasn't too loud that I was drowned out. Being that the TV model is built lighter it should make for a louder, more responsive guitar. And being that me singing voice is very light and soft, I didn't need to spend the extra $for a lighter built guitar. Besides my Hummingbird MC will open up over time and mature into a well aged and seasoned guitar. It should also sit well in a live mix.

So if that Hummingbird meets your needs, and you can swing it, don't let it pass you by. It could turn into a real The one that got away story.

Oh thank you so much, what a nice welcome I have had:)

I live in London, UK and have only been playing for a couple of years and have had the same Yamaha guitar since then. Anyway Im in need for a new guitar so went to my local shops and also Denmark Street to try out some guitars. My budget was around £600 (not sure what that is in your currency) but then I tried the Hummingbird and the J200 and I fell in love....

I thought about it realistically and its now between the Bird or the Martin 000X1AE (which is in budget). Will be going back to the guitar shop tommorow and will let you all know what I have decided to do. My husband says I should wait for a few years until I get a bit more advanced with my playing (and in the back of my mind I think he is right) but I just can't stop thinking about the creme la da creme of guitars and how my songs would so suit the tone of it.

Keep you all updated :rolleyes:

My husband says I should wait for a few years until I get a bit more advanced with my playing (and in the back of my mind I think he is right)....

No, he's not right. A quality instrument can do wonders for your playing for several reasons, not the least of which is that you simply cannot put the damn thing down!

So true, so true ... if possible avoid the cheap Martin. There is a chance you will not bond with it and its really nothing more than the Martin logo on a pretty poor guitar.

I totally agree with Buc, if you can waint and get the guitar that REALLY sings to you then you should ain for that , as it will inspire you to put in the hard hours and put a silly grin on your face everytime you look at it.

Im a good example. I started playing in early 90's, with pretty average guitars. Then basically had a 17 year 'break' and then started again 2 years ago when i bought my first Gibson. Havent looked back since and my playing and desire has expanded no end.

Dont settle for second when it comes to passion !

No, he's not right. A quality instrument can do wonders for your playing for several reasons, not the least of which is that you simply cannot put the damn thing down!

Its nice to have some other females here on the forum. I joined this forum years back but went away while I was without a Gibson. So other than you and myself, I am aware of only 2 other ladies here. Gilliangirl and Annie. I just returned last week so I could be wrong.

You will find that Hummingbird easier to play than the Martin because it has a shorter scale length which makes the strings easier to fret. You wont have to stretch so far for bar chords and more advanced chord voicing. Martins are wonderfully guitars. I have owned a few. But they sound nothing like a Gibson. The scale length is longer. I wouldn't consider the one you are considering to be an upgrade from your yamaha. If those are your only options, its best to just save for the Hummingbird.

I hope it works out for you.

Don't forget to check if the yellow 1968 J-200 is still there. Can't remember the shop-name, but it's in the middle of the street to the right from Charing Cross Rd. and it might hang in the far end of the room.

Whatever happens – a fun-safari to you.

Pammie,

I agree with Buc on this . If you want to get better buy that hbird that you fell in love with at the store.

A nice sounding guitar will make you want to play more and you will enjoy playing alot more than before :D

I suspect your hubby is a pretty-damned-decent guy, BUT, he's wrong on this particular thing. If you can get a Hummingbird now, DO IT! Simply owning a guitar with the name "Gibson Hummingbird" will make you want to play more and learn more. It truly will. You will want to play. You'll sit around more and more with the guitar at your side, just because it is a Hummingbird. Other musicians will want to hear it, even ask to play it. Friends and family will say "You mean you bought a Gibson?" Definitly get the Hummingbird. It's more than a guitar. It's one of those stalwart instruments that is symbolic of what a musical instrument should be. Even people who don't know one-guitar-from-another know what a Hummingbird is. I have NOTHING against Martins. I like a lot of them, BUT also, a lot of Martins are on the mundane side. Like a vanilla milkshake: good, but they're all vanilla. .........Get "the bird" and live happily everafter...,., [thumbup]

Well, the choice between a Gibson Hummingbird and a Martin OOOX1 is a rather day and night choice.

I just came hear to defend the humble X series Martins. I have the DX1 now for about 3-4 years. It is a very fine sounding and playable guitar. It has its own mojo too. I dare say the DX1 can hold its own with the finest guitars there are. I also have a OOOX1 and it is fine as well.

Wow. I never thought I'd hear that here. Doesn't pay to argue, so I'll leave it at that.

Buc, I'm not trying to be contentious. These HPL Martins get a bum rap all the time, and I think it's because they only cost about $500. The HPL system sounds good to my ear, and the spruce top is high grade, albeit with a humble satin polyurethane finish, no binding and a decal rosette. The laminated neck is rigid and true, and the guitar plays all the way up the neck very cleanly. They are cheaper to produce and sell for a lot less than "serious" guitars, but, I think they hold their own against solid wood Martins in the $1500 to $2500 range.

Just my 2¢

Maybe I have a tin ear, but there are times when I prefer the DX1 over my TVSJ.

A great deal of good advice here.

Pammie, I couldn't agree more. The Hummingbird will make you raise your game like nobody's business. When you own a guitar with a fine heritage and a wonderful tone (such as a Hummingbird) it makes you raise your stature to meet that of the instrument. You'll never be short of inspiration with a fine Gibson acoustic in your stable.

It may involve you digging a little deeper now (not to mention sweet-talking your spouse!), but a guitar like that is a lifetime investment and, if you look after it well, something that you can hand down from generation to generation.

If I was to be stuck, alone, on a desert island and had to pick one inanimate material possession to take with me, it'd be a Gibson acoustic guitar. A Gibson of various shapes and sizes has been my constant companion since I was 17, and I'm 30 now. 2000+ gigs all over the world, countless sessions, nine albums, tons of writing and co-writing adventures, and the one constant through all of that-A GIBSON!

It's not only a guitar, it's a career and lifestyle choice. For me, the moment I decided I wanted to make a career out of music, I knew that only a Gibson was good enough. These are really, really special instruments that can turn you into the player you want to me, by making you stand up straight and feel obliged to play your best-the guitar demands it.

Now please, for all of our sakes, go back to Denmark St and buy that 'Bird!

Jinder, love the way you describe Gibson, I reckon your pepsi challenge over xmas should be write a jingle about Gibsons :-)

A great deal of good advice here.

Pammie, I couldn't agree more. The Hummingbird will make you raise your game like nobody's business. When you own a guitar with a fine heritage and a wonderful tone (such as a Hummingbird) it makes you raise your stature to meet that of the instrument. You'll never be short of inspiration with a fine Gibson acoustic in your stable.

It may involve you digging a little deeper now (not to mention sweet-talking your spouse!), but a guitar like that is a lifetime investment and, if you look after it well, something that you can hand down from generation to generation.

If I was to be stuck, alone, on a desert island and had to pick one inanimate material possession to take with me, it'd be a Gibson acoustic guitar. A Gibson of various shapes and sizes has been my constant companion since I was 17, and I'm 30 now. 2000+ gigs all over the world, countless sessions, nine albums, tons of writing and co-writing adventures, and the one constant through all of that-A GIBSON!

It's not only a guitar, it's a career and lifestyle choice. For me, the moment I decided I wanted to make a career out of music, I knew that only a Gibson was good enough. These are really, really special instruments that can turn you into the player you want to me, by making you stand up straight and feel obliged to play your best-the guitar demands it.

Now please, for all of our sakes, go back to Denmark St and buy that 'Bird!

Thank you everyone for your lovely advice and for taking the effort to write on here. You have really given me sound advice and made me feel very welcome.

You lot have convinced me now and you are all right, I do think it would benefit me in many, many levels to buy one. I write my own songs and sing them too and late next year I will be show casing them. Every night when the kids are in bed I sit there with my guitar and play and write and play some more and I just LOVE IT. I can't get enough of it - its like my best friend and my second husband but without the errrm chit chat, doesn't answer me back, always there when Im feeling down and cheers me up no end. I LOVE IT. God knows whats gonna happen after today when I have my BIRD....

I definately think its the way forward. Hubby giving me a nice chunk of money for my christmas pressie and the rest Im gonna raid the bank very soon...

Thanks to everyone again, and music4love - great to join the girlies on this forum.

Speak much later on when I have it in my hands!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your lovely advice and for taking the effort to write on here. You have really given me sound advice and made me feel very welcome.

You lot have convinced me now and you are all right, I do think it would benefit me in many, many levels to buy one. I write my own songs and sing them too and late next year I will be show casing them. Every night when the kids are in bed I sit there with my guitar and play and write and play some more and I just LOVE IT. I can't get enough of it - its like my best friend and my second husband but without the errrm chit chat, doesn't answer me back, always there when Im feeling down and cheers me up no end. I LOVE IT. God knows whats gonna happen after today when I have my BIRD....

I definately think its the way forward. Hubby giving me a nice chunk of money for my christmas pressie and the rest Im gonna raid the bank very soon...

Thanks to everyone again, and music4love - great to join the girlies on this forum.

Speak much later on when I have it in my hands!!!!!

The Hummingbird is the perfect guitar for a singer/songwriter. It was designed specifically to accompany the singing voice. That is exactly why I purchased mine last week. And it explains why you are drawn to it. Your story about putting the kids to bed and writing and singing and playing guitar sounds like we live in the same household. I look foward to hearing about your Hummingbird purchase. Congratulations in advance on a wonderful Christmas present. And please do keep us posted.

We can go rest now.....we've done our jobs!

Pammie....you won't be sorry.... and your playing will acclerate at a rate that will make your hubby understand too.

I've been playin' for almost 50 years now.... and I've known since the 60's that there's be a ' Bird in my life!

And a few pugs :-)

Have a great Xmas Rob, and everyone on this lovelly, sligthly whacky forum !

xx

We can go rest now.....we've done our jobs!

Pammie....you won't be sorry.... and your playing will acclerate at a rate that will make your hubby understand too.

I've been playin' for almost 50 years now.... and I've known since the 60's that there's be a ' Bird in my life!

Archived