Gibson Brands Forums

Your opinions on PRICE of 2006 ES-335

bluezguy

Hey ... I've been shopping for a 1990's Dot -Reissue because I've had 'em before. Today, at lunch, I scooted over to my local GC and found a beautiful Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot Figured-Top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish.

They had it listed as brand new but the serial # indicated 2006. Nobody could explain why. Price was $3149. That's the same as today's price on the MF web site.

Anyways, I plan to do an offer on this Memphis made guitar and seek your input as to what a good price was back in 2006. The guitar is flawless except for a million miles of swirl marks from 5 years of cleaning.

It sounds great and is what I'm looking for ... it's just not a Nashville build. msp_crying.gif

Hey ... I've been shopping for a 1990's Dot -Reissue because I've had 'em before. Today, at lunch, I scooted over to my local GC and found a beautiful Gibson Custom ES-335 Dot Figured-Top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish.

They had it listed as brand new but the serial # indicated 2006. Nobody could explain why. Price was $3200. That's the same as today's price on the MF web site.

Anyways, I plan to do an offer on this Memphis made guitar and seek your input as to what a good price was back in 2006. The guitar is flawless except for a million miles of swirl marks from 5 years of cleaning.

It sounds great and is waht I'm looking for ... just not a Nashville build.

Not sure what the going price for it would be in 06,but its not the first time I have seen them doing that.Saw an 07 satin going for 2295.Nobody seem to know why. [confused] I passed because I considered it used , or at least NOS.

Not sure what the going price for it would be in 06,but its not the first time I have seen them doing that.Saw an 07 satin going for 2295.Nobody seem to know why. [confused] I passed because I considered it used , or at least NOS.

NOS !!!! Exactly !!! Which means they shouldn't be trying to pass it off as new (maybe[confused] )???. We'll see what the manager says on Friday.

NOS !!!! Exactly !!! Which means they shouldn't be trying to pass it off as new (maybe[confused] )???. We'll see what the manager says on Friday.

While there is no specific difference between a 2006 guitar and a 2011 guitar, it has depreciated just by sitting round for five years getting played. In particular, if it is shopworn from years of handling, he should knock at least 10-15% off the street price for a "brand new" one. On the other hand, if this one is better than the newer ones he has in stock, you may want to buy it no matter what. But if this one has been hanging for five years and no one has bought it, there may be a reason.

While there is no specific difference between a 2006 guitar and a 2011 guitar, it has depreciated just by sitting round for five years getting played. In particular, if it is shopworn from years of handling, he should knock at least 10-15% off the street price for a "brand new" one. On the other hand, if this one is better than the newer ones he has in stock, you may want to buy it no matter what. But if this one has been hanging for five years and no one has bought it, there may be a reason.

The sales guy mentioned he thought the guitar was a swap from another dealership as they all circulate inventory amongst all stores after 'X' period of time. I understand this practise as I work for a motorcycle dealership in parts.

Butttt ... 5 years to NOT be sold is (I think) an excessive amount of time.

Through a Twin, she sounded like she was mine however, she must be cranked through my Marshall stack for me to truly fall in love.

I must add also that, since I started posting here in the 335 forum section, I've stated that I really do seek a '90's Nashville model as I've had one before for ten years and loved it. This 2006 neck feels better than the Nashville unit I once owned - I may be swaying from my original quest.

[blush]

In a lot of ways, the only difference between NEW and USED is the warrenty, and if it has ever been owned by another. A return can still be new, and a guitar in a shop beat to hell can still be new. Can also have a used one that is babied and flawless, but will never be "new" again because it can never have the warrenty.

I think it is a GOOD question you are asking (and I do not have the answer). In many cases, the price of ALL the stock will be determined by the current price, so anything they have in stock will have a price increase when the price goes up. But that means they could also have much less into it than a newer made/bought one they have, and IF there is any difference in an older one than a "current" one, you may be justified asking for the "old" price.

One thing I know they do, is averaging in regards to cost. They have an index of sorts that tells them how much they have into a particular model or type of item. So, if they have a batch or guitars they paid 1000 bucks for, and then they get a great deal and buy the same for 500 bucks, they average the cost to come out like 750 for all the items in stock.

The sales guy mentioned he thought the guitar was a swap from another dealership as they all circulate inventory amongst all stores after 'X' period of time. I understand this practise as I work for a motorcycle dealership in parts.

Butttt ... 5 years to NOT be sold is (I think) an excessive amount of time.

Through a Twin, she sounded like she was mine however, she must be cranked through my Marshall stack for me to truly fall in love.

I must add also that, since I started posting here in the 335 forum section, I've stated that I really do seek a '90's Nashville model as I've had one before for ten years and loved it. This 2006 neck feels better than the Nashville unit I once owned - I may be swaying from my original quest.

[blush]

I recently (this week, I think) saw a Nashville 335 on either Ebay or craigslist for $2800. That struck me as a good price. Nashville ones do come along. I waited about six months to find mine, and I'm glad I waited. She's a beauty, and sounds as good as she looks. The necks vary depending on the model. The Nashville '59 Historic has the "fatter" neck. the block Historic ('63) has the slimmer neck. Straight modern Memphis ES seems somewhere in between. I love the '59 neck, but I have another one with a slimmer neck as well.

2009 Nashville '59 Historic ES 335: here she is.

59ES335.jpg

I GOT 'ER !!!!!!!![thumbup]

A brand new 2006 ES-335 Dot Figured Top in Vintage Sunburst for $2400. My local Guitar Center had it behind glass & when I was noodling around on their regular inventory of ES335z , they neglected to show this one to me. When I saw it - it was instant love and I almost popped a n_t.

Seeing the $4461 list price and then the sale price w/case of $3149, I knew I couldn't afford it. Fortunately, I knew the Gibson serial# system and quickly noticed the 2006 date on the headstock. I was a bit annoyed the sales guy played dumb, but that was OK... he probably was [tongue] .

Anyways, it turned into a week long haggle match and today, I won!!! They got rid of what's called 'dead stock' and I got a brand new ES335 of higher end quality I couldn't afford. Also, it makes me happy to know the wood on this instrument is 'pre-FBI' days.

I GOT 'ER !!!!!!!![thumbup]

A brand new 2006 ES-335 Dot Figured Top in Vintage Sunburst for $2400. My local Guitar Center had it behind glass & when I was noodling around on their regular inventory of ES335z , they neglected to show this one to me. When I saw it - it was instant love and I almost popped a n_t.

Seeing the $4461 list price and then the sale price w/case of $3149, I knew I couldn't afford it. Fortunately, I knew the Gibson serial# system and quickly noticed the 2006 date on the headstock. I was a bit annoyed the sales guy played dumb, but that was OK... he probably was [tongue] .

Anyways, it turned into a week long haggle match and today, I won!!! They got rid of what's called 'dead stock' and I got a brand new ES335 of higher end quality I couldn't afford. Also, it makes me happy to know the wood on this instrument is 'pre-FBI' days.

Sounds like a good buy. Did it come with the warranty card, and did you file it?

Sounds like a good buy. Did it come with the warranty card, and did you file it?

Good Point!!!!! Thanks for pointing out a possible oversight on my part.

No ... I did a layaway. I guess it's misleading when I said 'I Got It'. originally, I was gonna trade my LP Standard + cash. After working the snot outta the LP last night, I decided against trading 'er and decided to do the layaway thing.

When the sales guy put 'er away, I did NOT notice any blue warranty cards or inspection folders or anything. rest assured I'll be asking tomorrow as the GC store is one mile away from my workplace.

Even if there isn't one, this guitar is so flawless and setup so perfectly, I feel no matter what, it's a winning situation. As long as it ain't conterfeit or something.

No ... I did a layaway. I guess it's misleading when I said 'I Got It'. originally, I was gonna trade my LP Standard + cash. After working the snot outta the LP last night, I decided against trading 'er and decided to do the layaway thing.

When the sales guy put 'er away, I did NOT notice any blue warranty cards or inspection folders or anything. rest assured I'll be asking tomorrow as the GC store is one mile away from my workplace.

Even if there isn't one, this guitar is so flawless and setup so perfectly, I feel no matter what, it's a winning situation. As long as it ain't conterfeit or something.

Sounds like a most excellent deal - YOU will love this guitar. Good luck. Cheers, Ed

$3,149 is MAP (minimum advertised price) for the Gibson ES-335 figured top models. That price, IMO, is a rip off. I bought one of the figured tops at my local store in 2010 for $2,299. Yup, same guitar that MF/GC sells for $3,149, they sell every day for $2,299, here in NY state. I know from calling around at that time that other reputable Gibson dealers were priced similarly. If you really love the guitar, then good for you, congrats. But I thing if they sold you a 2006 model for $2,400, THEY may have gotten a better deal than you did.

$3,149 is MAP (minimum advertised price) for the Gibson ES-335 figured top models. That price, IMO, is a rip off. I bought one of the figured tops at my local store in 2010 for $2,299. Yup, same guitar that MF/GC sells for $3,149, they sell every day for $2,299, here in NY state. I know from calling around at that time that other reputable Gibson dealers were priced similarly. If you really love the guitar, then good for you, congrats. But I thing if they sold you a 2006 model for $2,400, THEY may have gotten a better deal than you did.

Well ... the drive to NY is too flippin' far from me in Florida ... fuel costs & time would eat up any savings.

Furthemore, to 'order' and have shipped an instrument sight or sound unseen/unheard is not the way I would do things.

It's kinda like buying shoes ... and as far as I'm concerned, I got the deal and am the satisfied one.

Finally, I'm the kind of boy who supports his local economy otherwise, there wouldn't be one.

msp_thumbup.gif

The Gibson warranty has value. It is good only for the original owner who purchases from an authorized dealer. If you bought it as a new guitar from an authorized Gibson dealer you should politely request the warranty. If there is no warranty, they sold you a used instrument. The warranty itself adds several hundred dollars to the value of the guitar for you, so you should pursue this aggressively when taking delivery.

The Gibson warranty has value. It is good only for the original owner who purchases from an authorized dealer. If you bought it as a new guitar from an authorized Gibson dealer you should politely request the warranty. If there is no warranty, they sold you a used instrument. The warranty itself adds several hundred dollars to the value of the guitar for you, so you should pursue this aggressively when taking delivery.

10/4 on that J45nick!

I talked to Gibson support this morning and they checked out the serial# as being sold to Guitar Center with the serial# never having been registered before.

Full 100% warranty will apply when I take delivery of the instrument. GC will supply me with the blue Gibson warranty registration card ( a blank). This will be filled in by them and signed ... the rest is up to me. Vince is the guy I spoke with @ Gibson. He was very knowledgable and willing to answers a lot of my questions, even some off topic stuff. he scores 100%.

So.... to sum up this whole experience ... it's been great! The only thing taking me down now is the time frame to pay this baby off. I got a couple hot lookin' daughters in their mid-20's but for some reason, they don't wanna take part in my proposed money-makin' scheme [flapper]

So.... to sum up this whole experience ... it's been great! The only thing taking me down now is the time frame to pay this baby off. I got a couple hot lookin' daughters in their mid-20's but for some reason, they don't wanna take part in my proposed money-makin' scheme [flapper]

It will be even greater once you get that ES 335 in your hands. I love'em enough to have two of the suckers: on red 6-string, and one 'burst 12-string.

Well ... the drive to NY is too flippin' far from me in Florida ... fuel costs & time would eat up any savings.

Furthemore, to 'order' and have shipped an instrument sight or sound unseen/unheard is not the way I would do things.

It's kinda like buying shoes ... and as far as I'm concerned, I got the deal and am the satisfied one.

Finally, I'm the kind of boy who supports his local economy otherwise, there wouldn't be one.

msp_thumbup.gif

Hey bluez, as the saying goes, if you're happy, I'm happy. [biggrin] You did ask for opinions on price though. The local store I mentioned is actually quite large, and they do ship nationally. When I was shopping for a 335, they didn't have the color I wanted, so they ordered me one straight from Gibson. It was in my hands inside of a week.

I agree with you that buying unseen/unheard is risky, and truth be told I'm not real comfortable doing that myself.

I hope that your new ES is everything you hope for. They are really special guitars, no doubt about it. Oh, and yes, we wanna see pics when you get it. :-({|=

Hey bluez, as the saying goes, if you're happy, I'm happy. [biggrin] You did ask for opinions on price though. The local store I mentioned is actually quite large, and they do ship nationally. When I was shopping for a 335, they didn't have the color I wanted, so they ordered me one straight from Gibson. It was in my hands inside of a week.

I agree with you that buying unseen/unheard is risky, and truth be told I'm not real comfortable doing that myself.

I hope that your new ES is everything you hope for. They are really special guitars, no doubt about it. Oh, and yes, we wanna see pics when you get it. :-({|=

No problem!!! I'm always happy!!!! I'm just shocked that they will sell a Dot Re-Issue Figured Top for the price of a plain top. I must've called 30 places around the country checking prices - Austin, Nashville, Toronto, Florida ... even Detroit.

I've worked circuits in these cities over the past 40 years and learned they all had their share of 'hole in the wall' music stores where everything was much cheaper than the 'giants'.

Never thought that NY would have anything at a good price. All you hear about NY is how expensive everything is. Maybe next toy, I give 'er a shot.

I hope that you don't mind me chiming in here as I have been following your posts...........I worked for the Guitar Center in Hollywood a number of years ago. I'll make the story very short.........The ONLY reason I would ever buy a guitar from Guitar Center is IF they were the only place in the USA to buy a particular guitar.........Guitar Center NEVER undersells anything unless it is in their best interest financially........I never could be a part of their selling a USED guitar as a NEW instrument......frankly these days where I would go to buy a guitar is Wildwood Guitars or Daves Guitars in Wisconsin. These shops are reputable IMHO..Frankly IF this guitar is what you really want go for it. I don't like the fact that they are promising this guitar to you on a layaway. Did you get this layaway in writing I would hope ie the EXACT PRICE of the instrument OUT the door including tax? jim

Just a quick comment on what Jimmy wrote. I've bought two guitars from Wildwood this year and recommend them whole heartedly. I don't have a lot of options where I live. I know some are not comfortable with buying a guitar sight unseen. I understand but obviously that isn't as a huge deal with me. But, if I buy a guitar unseen I need to trust the outfit I'm buying from. Wildwood came highly recommended by folks on the Gibson forum and I see why they are recommended.

I second Wildwoods.I bought a 59 thinskin strat from them a few years ago and the guitar was first rate.I too have come across GC selling older guitars as if they were brand new. I just bought a new 335 plaintop cherry gloss for 2300.GC wouldnt budge and when I pointed out MF had it for 15 percent off,they pointed out that Gibson was excluded.Went to American Musical and ,no problem.

Archived