Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of fretboard is this?

TarHeelKid

I have a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard 24 DC. It's AAA flame Chicago blue. I know sometimes certain colors have certain hardware options. I always thought that the fretboard was rosewood, and it may be, but it is awfully light colored. It is actually lighter in color than the baked maple fretboard on my faded studio LP. I have an SG that I know is rosewood and it is much darker than either, almost dark red. I know all types of wood can vary in shade quite a bit, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea. They all play great and I can't tell a difference playing-wise, but just curious. Thanks :)

Best pic I have, sorry

Rosewood.... Looks dry... Put some lemon oil on it and it will darken up. Some rosewood is pretty light and sometimes they add some "Stain" on rosewood and Ebony to get a darker and consistent shade.... Not sure if Gibson ever does this though...

Regards,

Andy

Rosewood.... Looks dry... Put some lemon oil on it and it will darken up. Some rosewood is pretty light and sometimes they add some "Stain" on rosewood and Ebony to get a darker and consistent shade.... Not sure if Gibson ever does this though...

I thought I read on these forums somewhere that you're not supposed to put lemon oil on rosewood?? Or was a different kind of fingerboard? Maybe it was all a dream...

I thought I read on these forums somewhere that you're not supposed to put lemon oil on rosewood?? Or was a different kind of fingerboard? Maybe it was all a dream...

You probably ran across a discussion about cleaning or moisturizing a rosewood fretboard. Some say lemon oil has a natural solvent in it and it's great for cleaning the fretboard, but not so good to use in larger quantities to moisturize a dry FB as the solvent can loosen the inlay glue. But there's plenty of members that use it this way with no problems.

I have a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard 24 DC. It's AAA flame Chicago blue. I know sometimes certain colors have certain hardware options. I always thought that the fretboard was rosewood, and it may be, but it is awfully light colored. It is actually lighter in color than the baked maple fretboard on my faded studio LP. I have an SG that I know is rosewood and it is much darker than either, almost dark red. I know all types of wood can vary in shade quite a bit, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea. They all play great and I can't tell a difference playing-wise, but just curious. Thanks :)

First Quality Music in Ky. sells a fretboard oil that I really like and use on all my guitars {except the Fenders, varnished maple}. the oil darkens the rosewood, kinda seals it at the same time and seems to last quite a while. If my memory is any good, I believe the name brand is Petros. They also make polish, and a finish restorer {light scratch remover}. Pricing is reasonable. Good Luck and Happy New Year! TC

First Quality Music in Ky. sells a fretboard oil that I really like and use on all my guitars {except the Fenders, varnished maple}. the oil darkens the rosewood, kinda seals it at the same time and seems to last quite a while. If my memory is any good, I believe the name brand is Petros. They also make polish, and a finish restorer {light scratch remover}. Pricing is reasonable. Good Luck and Happy New Year! TC

Use Petros also

Archived