Gibson Brands Forums

If you decided you wanted a Hummingbird TV...

livemusic

How would you go about it? Order a new one or play some until you connected with one? Problem with the latter is they're not exactly at every music store, especially in my area.

Actually, I always prefer to buy used if I can find one in great condition.

First – How come you decided on this particular guitar. Where did you meet it, try it, fall in love with it. How many have you played.

I would recommend you to test as many as possible. In case that's difficult, go ahead take a chance and buy one long-distance. Spend at least 6 months with it and see if it fulfills your dreams.

If not, it won't be hard to pass it on and you could either go for another or change direction.

The main thing is that you take the mission seriously (which you obviously do by writing here) and give the Bird time to land once you receive it and actually hold between your hands.

Happy hunting.

How would you go about it? Order a new one or play some until you connected with one? Problem with the latter is they're not exactly at every music store, especially in my area.

I always prefer to play the guitars first if at all possible. When I've had my mind set on a particular model, I've been willing to wait until I found one that I connected with. That approach has never disappointed me in the long run.

If I were in your situation, I'd be making some calls and planning some road trips to cities with good sized Gibson dealers including Houston (Fullers Guitars). Honestly.

But that's me, I love a good road trip and I love guitars.

Good luck, and may patience be yours.

Since your are at the point in the process where you are asking HOW, there is no need for me to get into 'are you sure?' or 'Why?'. These are a little too expensive for a person to decide lightly. Having purchased one a few months back, I think the chance of your having 'buyers remorse' are slim to none. I think the H'bird TV, for most accoustic players - will be the last guitar you ever need. Maybe not the last one you'll want - but the last one you'll need. I have bought several guitars at Guitar Center and trust them. I just kept up to date on their 'used guitars' section. I finally found a 2010 that they had sold to someone who tries out guitars and returns most of them. He kept the original case, so I got a good deal on a guitar that was in better shape than many they have hanging on the wall. OF course, they included a top of the line TKL case for shipping. If I had not liked it, for any reason - I could have returned it to my local GC. G'luck on your search.

I have come to that realization but managed to blow it about six months when I ran across a '67 HB in excellent condition at a killer price. I even got to take it home for a week for a test drive. But I still procrastinated and it ending up going to one of the guitar shows. To make the wound even deeper, a the show that guitar was bought by a high end store which then sold it for some $1200 more I could have snagged it for. So I guess the lesson is if you find one you really like do not second guess yourself or wait for something "better" to show up.

Since your are at the point in the process where you are asking HOW, there is no need for me to get into 'are you sure?' or 'Why?'.

Reading fortyyearspickn, I just want to wedge in the following. My why isn't skeptical nor of course an exam.

But now that we seem to celebrate a Hummingbird Christmas here, I find it interesting to dig one step further. We are plenty who enjoy the great delight of having/playing/talking about these iconic beauties. What I look for when asking how and why, is merely peoples expectations for the sound, the feel and so on. Many players have a vision about certain guitars. It's something they met/heard earlier in their lives and would like to re-experience, or maybe there's the hope of capturing a sonic flavor from a favorite record. It can also be a phenomenon the person dream up from scratch him/herself.

In short, I like like to go below the bird, butterfly and hibiscuses on the guard and hear of peoples expectations/motivations.

Words such as "the last guitar you'll ever need" - "I've never heard a bad sounding Hummingbird" - "of all the guitars I've owned, this is the one" etc. speaks loud and deserves a share of attention.

Reading fortyyearspickn, I just want to wedge in the following. My why isn't skeptical nor of course an exam.

But now that we seem to celebrate a Hummingbird Christmas here, I find it interesting to dig one step further. We are plenty who enjoy the great delight of having/playing/talking about these iconic beauties. What I look for when asking how and why, is merely peoples expectations for the sound, the feel and so on. Many players have a vision about certain guitars. It's something they met/heard earlier in their lives and would like to re-experience, or maybe there's the hope of capturing a sonic flavor from a favorite record. It can also be a phenomenon the person dream up from scratch him/herself.

In short, I like like to go below the bird, butterfly and hibiscuses on the guard and hear of peoples expectations/motivations.

Words such as "the last guitar you'll ever need" - "I've never heard a bad sounding Hummingbird" - "of all the guitars I've owned, this is the one" etc. speaks loud and deserves a share of attention.

I agree, of course. My case is the exception that proves the hypothesis that the H'bird should be the last guitar you'll ever need if not want (if you do your homework!) - because the previous owner bought it new and kept it a couple of months only to trade it in on yet another one he wanted to test drive. So, if you live close by Fullers and have lots of extra cash, you can take that route. Hard to be 100% sure on most decisions in life. You gather as much info as you can and maybe get to 80%. Then you have to fish or cut bait. Some of us drive to work every day driving Ford Fiestas, some Ferraris. G'luck with whichever way you decide to go about it. Let us know how it works out for you, LiveMusic!

I was considering that one. But I really don't care for that dark maroon stain on the back and sides. Reminds me of furniture. The Gibson honeyburst with the natural honey colored mahogany back and sides is my favorite Hummingbird model. So that's the one I went with. But the 60:s edition in that video sounds great. Im seriously considering ordering me a Bob Colosi saddle.

Archived