Gibson Brands Forums

This is a manufacturing defect on the paint?

leitaozord

Hey guys. Today I was clean my epi, and I see this on the paint. It's see only on some angles. When I pass my hand on it, I don't feel nothing different. So I don't know if this come with the guitar and I never see before, or it was caused for me. Look for the pics, and you will see that in some pictures it's not visible, only in 2. Thanks.

dsc00116sh.jpg

dsc00117sz.jpg

dsc00119gm.jpg

dsc00120b.jpg

It's hidden and won't affect tone............There's many potential causes...........I wouldn't worry about it........

It's not as bad as the, um, er, flaws in one of my Gibson SG pictured below........

sgheadstock001.jpg

But, if it's under the polish, why it's happen? It's a problem in the wood. humidity that causes this?

I have seen similar issues on Epiphone headstocks. Keep in mind that poly is not a breathable material, so moisture can cloud the finish if the wood was not sufficiently aged, or has a pocket of moisture within.

I have a similar "cloudy" spot on the back of my natural Epi Dot. Depending on how the light is hitting the guitar, you see it or you don't. It hasn't gotten any larger in the few years I've owned it, and it's on the back so it's not like it's a glaring flaw for all to see. Doesn't bother me. Sorry, no pix (see, I'm really not that bothered) [biggrin]

Archived