Gibson Brands Forums

the gibson u2

brownsound

why is it so hard to find a gibson u2. i have a red one that i have pretty much played to its end and i been looking now for almost a year for another one and nobody seems to want to let them go. every one who has one says they love it and all them that dont say they suck. LOL personally they are great light thin fast fairly decent tone thin neck . just never any for sale.

The U2 was introduced in 1987. The name was changed to Mach II in 1990. The model was discontinued in 1991, so there are not a lot of them out there to begin with and people do tend to hang on to these rock machines.

yeah that is what mine is a mach 2 its the last year of production its a red body and neck. it has suffered massive paint checking. i always thought it had a basswood body much to my surprise its all mahagony . there is some large pieces of finish missing and you can see the mahagony wood clear as day.

it also suffered a good ammount of shrinkage on the fret board enough to install a binding almost. no ammount of oil or waxing slowed it down. i imagine i could re board it and refinish it and enjoy it some more. the neck is the best part its down right ibanez wizard thin.

i was hoping to get my hands on an earlier model but no such luck.

• 2 weeks later...

hooray for me. scored me a 1987 black u2 with the wayne charvel headstock and the 58 flying v gold stick on gibson logo for 500 on ebay. logo has a small issue missing a small piece of the g in gibson. scored a new logo on the bay also for 25 bucks.

the biggest issue is its missing its bridge pick up the 16k ohm dirty fingers f spaced 4 conductor wire pick up. it has an ibanez inf2 in the bridge. still a 16 to 17k pup but the darmiazo just dont deliver the sound i want.

i imagine its going to be a hard search to get that pick up.

i know the installed a bill lawrence pb i think in some of them. my 91 has a pat stamp number in it at 16,77ohms and it sounds way nice .

• 2 weeks later...

why is it so hard to find a gibson u2. i have a red one that i have pretty much played to its end and i been looking now for almost a year for another one and nobody seems to want to let them go. every one who has one says they love it and all them that dont say they suck. LOL personally they are great light thin fast fairly decent tone thin neck . just never any for sale.

I have an 89 red U2. It hasn't been played a whole lot, it's really been taken care of. Still in original locking case. Make me an offer I can't refuse and she's all yours! I think it's great that you love them so much. It is a cool guitar. Anyway, let me know if you're interested.

I have an 89 red U2. It hasn't been played a whole lot, it's really been taken care of. Still in original locking case. Make me an offer I can't refuse and she's all yours! I think it's great that you love them so much. It is a cool guitar. Anyway, let me know if you're interested.

sent you a pm or maybe it was an email

Archived