Gibson Brands Forums

The "Other" Hand

Buc McMaster

It ain't my quote so go for it. I don't remember though who said it.

My best friend owned a Tiger. He had the tank painted red and afterwards it was known as the Lobster. While the Bonneville had the sexy thing going, the Trophy was a desert sled. When I got it it still had the knobby tires and upswept pipes. It also came with stainless steel fenders which was cool. Just a speedo, no tach and a single carb. I got rid of tires and pipes and added a Bosch wiring harness (as I did with the Bonneville) as Triumph, like all British vehicles, was subject to the The Lucas King of Darkness thing.

Q. Why didn't the British invent television?

A. They couldn't figure out a way to make it leak oil.

In previous lives, my wife went through many British cars (AH Sprite, MG TC, AH 3000, Jag 3.8). My British products were limited to bikes. We both know more than we want to know about the Prince of Darkness, and how to use diapers and other devices to keep oil off the garage floor.

Thank God guitars don't leak oil.

Q. Why didn't the British invent television?

ohh this is a hotly debated topic LOL; but I guess several people (like all inventions) had a hand in it's arrival, it was a Brit (Scot, John Baird); who arguably gave us what many would recognise today as television. He gave a demonstration in the mid twenties in London, which (according to good ol google resources LOL) was the first television, because it had flowing images with definition, of light and shade. But yes, like all inventions (including the internet), it isn't possible to pin point one person... more like a team effort.

The cheek, tvs that leak :)

At least we make decent booze though [flapper]

How's it going BTW Nick?

Matt

At least we make decent booze though [flapper]

How's it going BTW Nick?

Matt

Life moves forward. Slowly at times, then way too fast. But generally, forward.

Too many guitars, and not enough time to play them. How's that for an old story?

Despite my "new" L-7, I'm in a J-45 kind of mood these days. After 45 years together, that old guitar still sings to me. And she finally has a proper case to call home. Actually, she suddenly has several, but after moving her between several cases, she's decided she prefers her Norman's Rare Guitars tan J-45 Cali Girl re-issue with the shocking pink lining, even though it's a tight fit.

The factory Gibson J-45 case fits her like a glove, but she didn't really go for the blue cat-fur lining and the mediocre handle and construction details. So now we have a surplus of J-45 cases. Sort of like my wife and her shoes.

Life moves forward. Slowly at times, then way too fast. But generally, forward.

Too many guitars, and not enough time to play them. How's that for an old story?

Despite my "new" L-7, I'm in a J-45 kind of mood these days. After 45 years together, that old guitar still sings to me. And she finally has a proper case to call home. Actually, she suddenly has several, but after moving her between several cases, she's decided she prefers her Norman's Rare Guitars tan J-45 Cali Girl re-issue with the shocking pink lining, even though it's a tight fit.

The factory Gibson J-45 case fits her like a glove, but she didn't really go for the blue cat-fur lining and the mediocre handle and construction details. So now we have a surplus of J-45 cases. Sort of like my wife and her shoes.

LMAO! I like the shoe comparison!

That's good it's not just me though!!! I too am a casaholic [scared]

If I don't speak to you before happy new year amigo!

Matt

Well, I'm in a position to place you in a position superior to your wife and her shoes. My 1943 SJ came with its original chipboard case, which I've saved for posterity. But, it's not sufficient protection for a minty, wartime Gibson. I had a Calton case for the guitar (which I used to schlep it to Kalamazoo to have it inspected by its original inspector!!!), but I sold the calton to a friend whose vintage, slope shoulder Gibson landed in my home for X-rays. Now, I've got a sufficient, but not pleasing case for the guitar. Should you decide to sell that Gibson case, I'd be a happy buyer.

Well, I'm in a position to place you in a position superior to your wife and her shoes. My 1943 SJ came with its original chipboard case, which I've saved for posterity. But, it's not sufficient protection for a minty, wartime Gibson. I had a Calton case for the guitar (which I used to schlep it to Kalamazoo to have it inspected by its original inspector!!!), but I sold the calton to a friend whose vintage, slope shoulder Gibson landed in my home for X-rays. Now, I've got a sufficient, but not pleasing case for the guitar. Should you decide to sell that Gibson case, I'd be a happy buyer.

JT, I'll keep it in mind. I think I'm secretly looking for another late 40's or early 50's J-45 or preferably, an SJ, so I'm going to hold onto it for a little while. Just in case.

i too absolutely love those brown cases ! any i've seen for sale are usually overpriced or i'd have one for my 45

They do tend to be expensive. Mine was part of a run that G&G cases in LA did a couple of years ago when Norman's Rare Guitars thought they might sell them as aftermarket upgrades for J-45's and other slopes. The case is longer in the headstock area than the original Lifton Cali Girl, even though all the other details were copied quite well, including the funky latches. It is also a heavy case: 13.8 pounds (6.3 kg), as opposed to 10.8 pounds (4.9 kg) for the standard Gibson TKL-built J-45 case. The extra weight comes from a heavier, stiffer case shell, which is a big plus in my book.

• 2 weeks later...
[thumbup] All right, good to hear there's some Triumph lovers! My 1st was a 1958 tr6c with a mag. It was a screamer when you got it started,how ever long that might have taken?!!? [cursing] about 1973 got another,1972 tr6c, way more reliable! ya just gotta love'em ! Ain't noth'in sounds as good as that old LIMEY iron! [thumbup] [thumbup] just a rock'in and a roll'in still! :wub:

[thumbup] All right, good to hear there's some Triumph lovers! My 1st was a 1958 tr6c with a mag. It was a screamer when you got it started,how ever long that might have taken?!!? [cursing] about 1973 got another,1972 tr6c, way more reliable! ya just gotta love'em ! Ain't noth'in sounds as good as that old LIMEY iron! [thumbup] [thumbup] just a rock'in and a roll'in still! :wub:

Just remember that "old Limey iron"--a Triumph Tiger--almost cost Dylan his life in 1966. And I understand completely what you say about how long it used to take to get one started. But there's still nothing like them.

You can have your Harley. The sound of a Triumph twin still does it for me.

Archived