Gibson Brands Forums

EB vs. SG

MrNylon

Maybe they changed it to "SG" to be named after the guitar "SG" that it looks like. Rather than having EB-0/-1/-2/-/3/4 for all the different models again.

Maybe the new model EB2 will be called the "ES" now, like the guitar series, since they look alike.

That's maybe what they did with the Flying V Bass, instead of calling it an EB-5, or something. And the LP Jr. bass, instead of EB-6.

These are just guesses of course.

SG stands for solid guitar, the 6 string was given that name after Les Paul asked for his name to be taken off of that guitar, EB stands for Electric Bass, all Gibson basses had that moniker until the Rippers and Grabbers were introduced and if I remember correctly the EB0 and the EB3 basses got the SG name in the 80s.

I thought the current ones were just a little smaller than the originals. If so, maybe they changed the name when they adjusted the design. I'm just guessing here.

That sounds pretty good. I would like to have put my EB0 from 1970, and compare it with my SG Std. of today.

I thought the current ones were just a little smaller than the originals. If so, maybe they changed the name when they adjusted the design. I'm just guessing here.

Indeed they are. I did not measure, but i did have direct comparison between a late 60's EB-3 and a worn black SG bass. The latter was at least thinner. BTW: are You aware that the 60's EB basses are about 10% larger in size than the guitars?

No, wasn't aware of the difference in size. When I had the EB0 in 1970, I never paid any attention to it. One thing I thought I remembered about the EB0, it didn't have neck dive.

Let's not forget about the early 70s version of the "EB" - Left to right: The EB-3L long scale bass with slotted headstock; the EB-3 short scale also with slothead; EB-2DC kinda of a cross between an EB-2 and an ES-335; and the real budget model of the line, the plain old EB.

57916649361eaa047e44fdcfb1a4d2d787c4ece3.jpg

Archived