Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio 50's humbucker owners?? Please chime in!

I posted pictures of my Tribute in "the Studio Club" thread, page 19.

@AlanH : I unfortunately had no chance to get one from the first run with natural back and Worn Honeyburst top like yours.

Pity because I love it. And yours is extremely nice.

Thanks, Aksak. Don't worry about the baked maple or the dark back. They are equally good as far as I'm concerned.

Flaking paint on any faded finish Tribute HB warrants a return to Thomann, IMO. Glad yours has no problems too.

I'm about to pop over to the studio club thread to check it out. [wink]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a '50s Tribute Humbucker model from the first batch which has a rosewood board and a light back. This is one of the best value 'pro quality' guitars out there, IMO.   Great sound and feel and

It's enough for me not to buy one of these. Who wants a bare wood back?

@LHW : Congratulations, nice guitar! Welcome to the club!

Posted Images

I just received a Honeyburst the other day.I love this guitar. I wasn't sure when I heard about the baked maple fretbaord. I have to admit I like the baked maple it has a nice feel and its darker than I expected. I am very happy with the guitar

I just received a Honeyburst the other day.I love this guitar. I wasn't sure when I heard about the baked maple fretbaord. I have to admit I like the baked maple it has a nice feel and its darker than I expected. I am very happy with the guitar

Congrats!

Pics are a must, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my studio 50's gold for about a week. It's just wonderful when you come from playing copies. I've been after a Gibson for about 12 years and this one hasn't been a letdown. The electronics cavity in mine has a PCB, but it still sounds good. I'm looking at getting a nice case. What all do you all use? I even had an offer just today for this guitar for $100 more than I paid for it.

I've had mine since the 4th, and it is, hands down, the best guitar I have ever owned...it even beats my old Rick 360/12, and that was $1200 (20 years ago).

I have a customized TRC on its way, so until then, these pics will have to do:

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_01_by_lordhighwarlock-d4oqpkb.jpg

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_02_by_lordhighwarlock-d4oqpt3.jpg

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_03_by_lordhighwarlock-d4oqpz4.jpg

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_04_by_lordhighwarlock-d4oqq82.jpg

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_05_by_lordhighwarlock-d4oqqmp.jpg

I'm looking at the Gold top, myself!! I like the pick up combo! I still go back and forth on this and the 60's Gold Top Tribute.

just bought the goldtop...the top is beautiful, as for the darkback?? if gibson would have left the maple top show on the sides it would be perfect...buffed mine out, looks great...came with a dark fretboard..cant tell its maple looks like rosewood....lov this guitar!!!!

post-34639-038205000 1329743909_thumb.jpg

I have a Studio 60's Tribute, and from what I understand, the specs are more or less the same, so to say that there isn't a problem with flaking, is more or less a lie. In my local shop, well both of them, I've seen flaking on the models, and my own, which I've owned since last summer, there's massive "flaking", if that's the word for it. My toggle switch is also very weak, and I'm considering getting it done properly. That said, I absolutely love the guitar for it's look, playability(never liked the Les Paul without binding before), and last, but not least, for it's amazing tone!

I have a Studio 60's Tribute, and from what I understand, the specs are more or less the same, so to say that there isn't a problem with flaking, is more or less a lie. In my local shop, well both of them, I've seen flaking on the models, and my own, which I've owned since last summer, there's massive "flaking", if that's the word for it. My toggle switch is also very weak, and I'm considering getting it done properly. That said, I absolutely love the guitar for it's look, playability(never liked the Les Paul without binding before), and last, but not least, for it's amazing tone!

I think there is a perception that this reported flaking is limited to the new run of dark back, Humbucker model Tributes. Your example obviously points to a potentially more widespread problem.

I think the Gibson customer services employees that look in on this forum need to now confirm whether:

-this flaking is either normal and to be expected with all LP (or SG) Tributes or;

-whether this is a problem that has arisen during the manufacture of certain guitars (or models.)

Is the visible wood wet or stained where the paint went into flakes? It looks so on your picture. Does not look like a dry wood.

Have my eyes on these but a few questions.

Satin honey burst.....does this come with the pick guard attached? Thought I read somewhere that you have to drill holes and attach yourself.

I've read about some quality issues such as weak toggle switches...anyone have any quality issues to be aware of?

Not sure where you're getting this information, as it's all incorrect. Pickguard is attached, and toggle switch is Switchcraft, U.S.A., which is pretty much as good as it gets, in terms of toggles. I'd be surprised if ANYBODY has any issues with the toggles.

Actually, on the original run (or the first after the flood anyway) of 50's tributes (with P 90's) there were issues with the toggle switch (which despite the description, is NOT a Switchcraft). You can find issues in the original thread here.

Guys, the thread went to over 100 pages... covered the flood and much more, to see the toggle issues, go near the end of the thread, after deliveries started. Try searching on my posts, I had one that was bad, and made it worse trying to "fix it" myself, and so paid a GC Tech to change it out- no great expense or big deal. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from getting one of these (I have 3, a pre flood Honeyburst, two post flood Gold Tops, one still NIB which I'll probably sell some day). They are a great feeling and sounding guitar (not sure which Humbuckers they're putting in these new ones, but I'm sure they're still very cool). Best bang for the buck in a new guitar IMO. Love mine still, and they are still some of my most played instruments.

They are a great feeling and sounding guitar (not sure which Humbuckers they're putting in these new ones, but I'm sure they're still very cool). Best bang for the buck in a new guitar IMO. Love mine still, and they are still some of my most played instruments.

Nail well and truly hit on head here. [thumbup]

Regardless of the issues that have previously been raised, these guitars have the same inherent quality, feel and make up of their more expensive Gibson USA counterparts. Everything you'll ever need in a set-necked two pup guitar is right there in a very competitively priced package.

Think about what you can get from other manufacturers for that money and the possibilty of having one with issues begins to melt away. In any case, most of us have been lucky and have perfectly good Tribute LPs.

Mine might be for sale.. Not sure I'm digging it as much anymore. The baked maple isn't really my thing.. We'll see.

Wow. That was short but sweet......

....ordered, received and up for sale on the same thread. :unsure:

Regardless of the issues that have previously been raised, these guitars have the same inherent quality, feel and make up of their more expensive Gibson USA counterparts. Everything you'll ever need in a set-necked two pup guitar is right there in a very competitively priced package.

Think about what you can get from other manufacturers for that money and the possibilty of having one with issues begins to melt away. In any case, most of us have been lucky and have perfectly good Tribute LPs.

Exactly! I couldn't have put it any better. This is one sweeeeeeet guitar! [thumbup]

EDIT: Forgot to add, got a new TRC on Saturday...

gibson_les_paul_studio___50s_tribute_06_by_lordhighwarlock-d4qg8pf.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! Only Gibsons I own are a 1989 SG Special and 2003 LP Standard. I really want another LP but I want it to feel different than my LP Standard.

I love what I hear and see about these Tribute 50s. Are they made in America? If they are made in the USA, how are they keeping the final price so low?

Doesn't make sense to me unless they are cutting corners? A regular Studio costs a good bit more, only because of nickel covered pickups? Confused.

Hi guys! Only Gibsons I own are a 1989 SG Special and 2003 LP Standard. I really want another LP but I want it to feel different than my LP Standard.

I love what I hear and see about these Tribute 50s. Are they made in America? If they are made in the USA, how are they keeping the final price so low?

Doesn't make sense to me unless they are cutting corners? A regular Studio costs a good bit more, only because of nickel covered pickups? Confused.

I have one of the 50s with humbuckers and I love it. Yes it is made in America. The price is kept down by using a A or AA top instead if the AAA or AAAA tops. There is no binding on the body or the neck which helps keep the cost down. Mine was also a littler cheaper because GC was trying to clear out all of its 2012 LP.

Hi all!

I just have a 2012 Studio 50s humbucker... my first Gibson....

i really love it.... in Satin Vintage sunburst color....

Welcome, Zev!

If you're interested, there's a club thread for '50s Tribute humbucker models. I'd very much like to see some pics. ;)

Welcome, Zev!

If you're interested, there's a club thread for '50s Tribute humbucker models. I'd very much like to see some pics. ;)

Thank you AlanH

I have only photos shot with my phone... but ok..

here it comes :D

it has finished on 6th Sept. 2012 in the USA Factory.... i really love it

i cant upload it ... so here's a link for the photo

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29242934/2013-03-28%2011.01.36.jpg

What is your oppinion?

Off or On pickguard?

I ve always liked the off pickguard looks... on the second day i grab the screwdriver and took off the pickguard.. but it looked 'naked' or bald.. i put it back in 5 minutes...

it should be cos the sunburst finish? the one tone tops are much better without pickguard....

What is your oppinion?

Off or On pickguard?

I ve always liked the off pickguard looks... on the second day i grab the screwdriver and took off the pickguard.. but it looked 'naked' or bald.. i put it back in 5 minutes...

it should be cos the sunburst finish? the one tone tops are much better without pickguard....

Nice LP!

My view on the pick guard is that it should stay on if there's a screw hole already there. If not, by all means leave it without....especially on a particularly nice burst finish.

Nice LP!

My view on the pick guard is that it should stay on if there's a screw hole already there. If not, by all means leave it without....especially on a particularly nice burst finish.

Yes, i know.. but that small screwhall doesnt look from far.. and it doesn't matter to me... Not the look was my problem, when i put back the pickguard.

Other question:

I have never seen PCB in guitar .... when i noticed it has overall volumes i d like to rewire it to 50s independent way... but no option with this pcb... does it replaceable? or what can i do? Detach the pcb and make PTP soldering? Help me please

thanks