Gibson Brands Forums

Help a newb with possible Riviera issues

messican

Have been playing my Riviera P93 for about a week now and am noticing some issues. Most important is that when the neck is tapped i hear something vibrate, like wood against wood, almost like the neck is loose. I picked up the same guitar at guitar center and tapped the neck and head stock and did not get that sound. Any idea as to what this is, is it normal? I called the Epiphone warranty shop and the person i talked to seemed more interested in selling me service then giving me an idea as to what this may be. Also when i play some notes on the E string, i am getting alot of fret buzz. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

How is the action on it? a little bowing in the center isn't a bad thing, but anything that causes action too low or high, you might want to adjust.

Ive heard of epis straight from the factory that have had the TR in there, but then never adjusted. If you tightened everyhting up and the rattling stopped, and you don't have weird action either low or high, you might be good to go

I'll also defer to anyone else as well, as I'm not expert, just been around awhile [thumbup]

btw welcome to the board, it's a cool guitar you've got. post some pics and lets see it!

Thank you for your help. I contacted the company where i bought it and they told me to take it to a luthier and have it checked out. They said they would most likely cover all costs to get it repaired, so i will bring it to a shop today and see what the issue is. I think the action is pretty high although i am am new to guitars. Ill check back in and report the findings as well as a picture.

How is the action on it? a little bowing in the center isn't a bad thing, but anything that causes action too low or high, you might want to adjust.

it's a cool guitar you've got. post some pics and lets see it!

+1. A straight neck or a slight inwards bow is fine. A back bow will cause fret buzz.

I've got a p-93 too. Nice guitar. I put on a roller bridge (from Stew Mac) so the strings won't hang up in the saddles when I use the Bigsby. Also upgraded the PU's, although the stock ones weren't bad.

Archived