Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul prophecy for $449

mud guy

This is one of the new ones? Dear god. That's just hideous looking. I hope it looks better in person. Why did they change them?

I like the redesign. Well, except for that color. But I've never been a fan of Cherryburst. I like the inlays WAY better than the 'blades". Same for the headstock inlay...which seems to be an updated version of the old "stickpin" inlay.

I really dig that they used the pearl/abalone V-blocks on the fretboard. How often do you see those on an Epiphone solid body electric? Next to never, I would imagine. Kind of neat.

I like the inlays WAY better than the 'blades". Same for the headstock inlay...which seems to be an updated version of the old "stickpin" inlay.

Well it's not like I like the blade inlays either, but the Sheraton inlays just look silly on it IMO. To each his own, but to me it just looks like they just took a bunch of spare parts that were lying around the factory and made a guitar out of it. [lol]

It is different though, I'll give them that.

This is one of the new ones? Dear god. That's just hideous looking. I hope it looks better in person. Why did they change them?

The L & M flyer says its the Black Cherry GX:

lg_EGLCGBCGH.jpg

I think this looks better than the 'burst. [thumbup] I want.

This is one of the new ones? Dear god. That's just hideous looking.

I dunno ... THAT sounds a little severe to me! Then again, I like cherryburst. I also think the new pickup combination will be a good one. In general, it just seems that Epiphone was looking to tone down the overall "metal" feel of the original Prophecy by going a bit more main stream traditional with the appointments on this guitar.

As to the original post, the Prophecy is an exceptional guitar! Ebony fretboard and Gibson Dirty Finger pickups at a $449 price ... you can't go wrong with this deal. Both the Les Paul and the SG are among my favorite guitars to play:

Sany0082.jpgSany0001.jpg

Jim

... it just seems that Epiphone was looking to tone down the overall "metal" feel of the original Prophecy by going a bit more main stream traditional with the appointments on this guitar.

Jim

That was my thought as well. Although I dont like the particularly Cherryburst on this guitar, I like the overall direction they are taking the Prophecy Les Paul. I didnt care for the metal look of the original line. I REALLY like the Midnight Sapphire.

Archived