Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Jr?

mKwatra427

Does anyone know about any pickups that give a Fender-like tone that will drop into a humbucker slot? The Wide Range pickup is the closest I can find, but it has a different size/shape.

Off to GUITARFETISH Website you go! Humbucker-sized P-90s Glore - Dream 180s, Dream 90's...

Gotta remember, though, a Fender pup has a BRIGHTER sound than a P-90, which has a more mid-range,

VINTAGE rock sound than a humbucker. Like a Single coil on steroids (P-90s). A bit of Tone/volume/Amp

tweaking, and meh... You'll find the tone you seek.

Just have to remember - P-90 style pups are not as BRIGHT sounding as single coils. They can, however,

produce everything from sweet Blues to crunchy vintage rock tone (think 70's Mountain/Mississippi Queen),

and beyond.

I LOVE GFS Pups. Cannot compare to Gibsons, but they sho' am easy on the pocket!!!!

I'm sure others can add to this....

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

A/F

Off to GUITARFETISH Website you go! Humbucker-sized P-90s Glore - Dream 180s, Dream 90's...

Gotta remember, though, a Fender pup has a BRIGHTER sound than a P-90, which has a more mid-range,

VINTAGE rock sound than a humbucker. Like a Single coil on steroids (P-90s). A bit of Tone/volume/Amp

tweaking, and meh... You'll find the tone you seek.

Just have to remember - P-90 style pups are not as BRIGHT sounding as single coils. They can, however,

produce everything from sweet Blues to crunchy vintage rock tone (think 70's Mountain/Mississippi Queen),

and beyond.

I LOVE GFS Pups. Cannot compare to Gibsons, but they sho' am easy on the pocket!!!!

I'm sure others can add to this....

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

A/F

Thanks a lot animalfarm. I want to experiment with p90 sounds also when I get to change pickups, so I was looking at a p90 in the neck and a Fender humbucker in the bridge. Thankfully, guitarfetish.com has versions of both these pickups that drop int standard humbucker routs. Thanks a lot!

Thanks guys. I just ordered the Epi Les Paul Studio, Ebony (couldn't find in arctic blue :() from Amazon. Since my dad is bringing it from abroad, I'll get by Jan-end. Thanks!

Congrats Martin, good decision, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just got the Les Paul. Here it is...

HNGD to you.

Gotta love Studios, they always make me smile. Simplicity has an unmatched beauty to it IMO.

Oh, and trust me when I say the Ebony looks a lot nicer than the Arctic Blue [biggrin]

I gotta say I was fairly impressed with the Epi Jr.

I bought this one for a hundred bucks about 6-7 years ago as kind of a "beater" and maybe a mod project. I figured I would definitely replace the stock humbucker for a Mean 90 or similar, but I have to say - I really like this humbucker! And I also REALLY like the neck on this one.

Tuners are the weak spot, but they work well enough that I have just left them in.

Junior_IMG_0992pb.jpg

Junior_IMG_0984pb.jpg

Junior_IMG_0980pb-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, anyone know the string gauge on this? I wanna know what i should upgrade to if this is too fat or thin. Also, the serial number doesn't seem to fit the standard epiphone format. THe serial # is 11021508238. No letters.

By the way, greg (animalfarm) was one of the biggest contributors to this post. He is no longer with us, may he rest in peace. [crying] [crying] [crying]

Archived