Gibson Brands Forums

which one epi tribute or lp faded?

Stevie Nazarenie

I dunno, they both kinda sounded the same to me, but compared to the tribute the faded had all the charm of a fireplace log, to quote Midiman. I guess if it's the name you crave, then the Gibson would be the obvious choice, however, the VALUE would be in the Epiphone simply because, as stated, they both kinda sounded the same.

The Gibby sounded better......However, that's due to the Gibby pickups.......

I own both of those.......Once I upgrade the Epi pickups, they'll both sound the same..........

The Epi looks better..........So, yeah, if you want the Gibson name, then.................

I thought those Tributes had Burstbuckers? Or am I thinking of another Epi?

It all depends..........There's some Epis with real Gibson pickups, and many with Epi 57s, Epi Burstbuckers, Epi Probuckers, etc etc...........

It's almost a sorry state of affairs.........Many are fooled..........I'm never fooled..........( When I am, I always learn quickly of the fact ).................

The Epiphone 1960 Tribute DOES have Gibson pickups in it. A 57 Classic in the neck and a Classic Plus in the bridge. The 50th Anniversary had a Gibson Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a 2 in the bridge. The Gibby Studio faded has Burstbucker Pros. The choice is between an upper level Epi or bottom level gibby. I'd take the Tribute myself. :)

Well the Epi looks better, paint and binding all the bells and whistles of a high end Epiphone. I've never been a big fan of the faded finishes (actually the new blue one looks good)and nothing special like great paint or binding just stripped down Gibson but it still is a Gibson.Using my ears the Gibson sounds fuller to me.Not that it's the most important thing but the name brand does have something to do with which one you pick.If there was a big difference in sound and the Epi sounded better buy a bunch I would say go with the Epi but as they sound to me close but the Gibby winning out by a bit I would go with the Gibson.Either or you cant go wrong,have a blast.

I'd go with the Gibson Les Paul Faded so long as it's in worn brown. I've tried both guitars and the feel of the Les Paul Faded does it for me, the neck feels great. High end Epiphones are nice but I would go with the Gibson on this one.

Archived