Gibson Brands Forums

New Years Dare

ParlourMan

After a little tickle tonight on my Gibsons as part of a pre new years show where we were plied with free booze I was 'dared'.....

"bet you can't bat this ball with your fancy guitar......" ..as a tennis-ball was lobbed at me holding my Woody Guthrie, not one to be outdone (and a few drinks in) i took that bet used the Woody as a cricket bat, not only did I manage a fairly graceful shot given the cumbersome bat I had, but I knocked a 6K TV off the wall-mount and watched it smash beyond repair due to my efforts.... heroic performance from the budget Gibson dread and I have no shame as the bar-staff started it....

Woody Guthrie SJ 1 - 0 Bar-staff.

It may be a few days before I can watch football from my home team there though........

After a little tickle tonight on my Gibsons as part of a pre new years show where we were plied with free booze I was 'dared'.....

"bet you can't bat this ball with your fancy guitar......" ..as a tennis-ball was lobbed at me holding my Woody Guthrie, not one to be outdone (and a few drinks in) i took that bet used the Woody as a cricket bat, not only did I manage a fairly graceful shot given the cumbersome bat I had, but I knocked a 6K TV off the wall-mount and watched it smash beyond repair due to my efforts.... heroic performance from the budget Gibson dread and I have no shame as the bar-staff started it....

It may be a few days before I can watch football from my home team there though........

Perhaps a few more of your countryman need a bat that size!

BluesKing777.

I knocked it the length of the pub, 'bout 12-14 foot in the air then the mightiest crash you can imagine.... it was like slow-mo..... after a nervous round of laughter the bar-owner (my mate) looked a little frozen round about the face.... the stage is at one end of the bar and the big screen 'was' at the other. Thankfully they will be showing the games today via a projector ;-)

...and they say they don't build em like they used to.......

All humour aside, I did have a fleeting moment of panic that I'd have to pay for the damage but it should be covered. It did bring the late-drinks session to a swift close though......

the stage is at one end of the bar and the big screen 'was' at the other.

Oh, thank God! I thought you had hit the TV set with your guitar!

I do have to say, if a tennis ball can knock a TV off a wall mount, it was not really mounted all that well in the first place! I would not have considered that your fault anyway.

Cheers!

Oh, thank God! I thought you had hit the TV set with your guitar!

I do have to say, if a tennis ball can knock a TV off a wall mount, it was not really mounted all that well in the first place! I would not have considered that your fault anyway.

Cheers!

Pretty much my mates take on it... It's an awkward space the screen is in given the structural details of the building, but the most logical place for it when laying out the bar, so it was only partially fixed/held there, he's moaned about it many times... but not as much as he'll be moaning today, hahaha. We gig in his other bar too, opposite the stage in that one is a fish-tank, I'll report back on my next attempt in that bar in late Jan... ;)

I'm heading to his pub shortly to watch some football, they have a second (smaller) screen anyway and the projector so it wont halt business. I'll have to be nice to him today ;)

When I first read your post (admittedly in a hungover state from last nites gig) I thought when you said a 6k TV I thought you were talking about a TV Gibson ... [scared]

btw: did you use the back or the side of the woody, reckon youd get a cleaner shot from the side ?

When I first read your post (admittedly in a hungover state from last nites gig) I thought when you said a 6k TV I thought you were talking about a TV Gibson ... [scared]

btw: did you use the back or the side of the woody, reckon youd get a cleaner shot from the side ?

Haha, jeez no..... The SJ-200TV is about as far as I can imagine paying, EA...

I couldn't tell to be honest, I just reacted, whacked it and the madness unfurled..... crazy night.

Yes, I'm a Scot but I'm a hugger not a fighter ;)

All's well that ends well, the football was on the small screen and the projector and the packed pub didn't seem to mind, a few laughs were had about it yesterday too.... It cost me a stint at comparing the pub quiz and i said we'd do the next gig free... I'm happy enough with that msp_biggrin.gif

LOL This really has made my morning!

Matt

Archived